Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Anyone else tried this interesting dessert?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi_ice_cream

I was first introduced in Little Tokyo to Mikawaya, which makes mochi ice cream and other types of mochi, daifuku (mochi with bean paste filling), dango (like small flavoured mochi) and other interesting things like butter mochi and mochi moulded into different shapes.

The ice cream was my favourite though. They had quite an array of flavours, from vanilla, green tea, peach, to chocolate, coffee, pistachio...the outside is basically flavoured rice dough, kind of chewy/doughy/glutinous in texture, while the inside is ice cream. The best part is, it's okay even if the ice cream melts! As long as you take care not to let it splatter.

Since then I've found certain types of mochi ice cream at Oriental stores, most commonly those made by 'Lotte' a Korean/Japanese brand. A common one is known as 'Yukimi daifuku'

Yukimi Daifuku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

There's this one I like to get...there's no English writing on the packet at all, but from the taste I think the outside is mung bean flavoured or something similar (dark green coloured) while the inside is a pinkish-brown, and tastes a bit like red bean. Either way it's delicious, unique but very satisfying.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Trader Joe's is where I purchase Mochi.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
I absolutely love mochi, daifuku, and mochi ice cream.

In fact, I love most traditional asian style desserts because they're not sickeningly sweet. If I had the choice between dorayaki and a Little Debbie cake, the dorayaki would win hands down every time.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
the outside is basically flavoured rice dough, kind of chewy/doughy/glutinous in texture
That's an excellent description and it's what I don't like about mochi - it reminds me of deep fried ice cream (which I also don't much like).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I love most traditional asian style desserts because they're not sickeningly sweet.
That's funny - I always think first of Indian desserts which are known to be cloyingly sweet, but you're right, too, that many Asian desserts aren't sickeningly sweet.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyone else tried this interesting dessert?

Mochi ice cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was first introduced in Little Tokyo to Mikawaya, which makes mochi ice cream and other types of mochi, daifuku (mochi with bean paste filling), dango (like small flavoured mochi) and other interesting things like butter mochi and mochi moulded into different shapes.

The ice cream was my favourite though. They had quite an array of flavours, from vanilla, green tea, peach, to chocolate, coffee, pistachio...the outside is basically flavoured rice dough, kind of chewy/doughy/glutinous in texture, while the inside is ice cream. The best part is, it's okay even if the ice cream melts! As long as you take care not to let it splatter.

Since then I've found certain types of mochi ice cream at Oriental stores, most commonly those made by 'Lotte' a Korean/Japanese brand. A common one is known as 'Yukimi daifuku'

Yukimi Daifuku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

There's this one I like to get...there's no English writing on the packet at all, but from the taste I think the outside is mung bean flavoured or something similar (dark green coloured) while the inside is a pinkish-brown, and tastes a bit like red bean. Either way it's delicious, unique but very satisfying.
Is that the fried ice cream?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's funny - I always think first of Indian desserts which are known to be cloyingly sweet, but you're right, too, that many Asian desserts aren't sickeningly sweet.
The occasions where I've gotten to taste authentic Indian desserts, I found them to be way too rich and sweet. I love the subtle sweet flavor that asian style desserts tend to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink