U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM

4,517 posts, read 4,676,185 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried it? If so, where can you buy unroasted coffee beans and how labor intensive is it? How was your final product?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM

55 posts, read 106,959 times
We haven't tried it yet, but it is on our short list of things to do. As a hobby, I home brew beer, and most of the suppliers have coffee roasting equipment in the catalogs I get, for some reason. Every time I get a catalog, we say "We really need to try our hand at this..."

Especially now, with moving, we are getting a nice Jura system, so we would like to run quality coffee through it. With the freshness of home-roasted, I can imagine that it would be supreme with some practice. Not to trivialize it, at all. A couple people I know that have tried it says there is a bit of a learning curve in getting to just the right roast that you are looking to achieve, but the end product is worth it.

Subscribing to the thread in hope that you (we) get the information you are after. :-)

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 26,300,923 times
There is a threa don this, but I couldn't find it for you.

I have roasted a whole lot of green coffee using everything from a skillet to a pilot plant coffee roaster with 100+ pounds of coffee in it.

Before you go buying some expensive equipment, try out a chestnut roasting pan (long handled skillet with holes in the pan) and roast some green coffee over the gas burner. Do it slow. It should take about 10-15 minutes heating it up slowly until you get to the desired color then quench with water. Let it dry on a towel and put in a covered bowl (not in fridge) for a week then grind it.

Green coffee comes from specialty shops until you know what you like then the Internet.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM

54,765 posts, read 76,404,270 times
Yes I do! This is an easy method used for brown coffee: ( it will make stale store beans fresh again )
Get a stainless skillet, preheat, put a thin layer of whole beans, and roast them for 5 min ( turning and tossing). Ground as needed. Best is to roast only a handful amount for direct use.

If you want to roast green coffee beans, use this method:
Stovetop Popper Method

If you want to use more sophisticated gadgets, read here:
Getting Started Roasting Coffee at Home

If you have popcorn popper, you can use it too:
CoffeeGeek - Roasting coffee with a popcorn popper

Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,834 times
Heck I just LOVE the smell when the beans are being ground...
When I was a kid going to the grocery store with my Mom she could always find me... I would be in the coffee aisle with my nose up the grinder where the ground coffee comes out, flipping the switch off & on. At least that is how it was in the 1960's. Funny thing is...I don't even drink coffee, even now. What can I say...I'm a nut. :-)

Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 26,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Heck I just LOVE the smell when the beans are being ground...
When I was a kid going to the grocery store with my Mom she could always find me... I would be in the coffee aisle with my nose up the grinder where the ground coffee comes out, flipping the switch off & on. At least that is how it was in the 1960's. Funny thing is...I don't even drink coffee, even now. What can I say...I'm a nut. :-)
Every time I'm at Sam's I am in that aisle because of all the coffee grinding going on. Nothing like that smell.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 AM

16,798 posts, read 38,081,083 times
Roasting machine suggestion: Fresh Roast SR500

Reliable green bean source: Home Coffee Roasting - Green Coffee Beans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink