Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My "sick food" was poached egg on toast. Matter of fact, I'd sometimes complain of not feeling well, just to get the tray with a cup of cambric tea. Sadly, there's no one to make me a "sick tray" now. I just have to make it for myself. <sigh>

Bread, butter, and sugar must have been very common as an after-school treat. During WWII, sugar was rationed and we had to settle for bread and mustard. Don't say "ewww", it wasn't all that bad.
My sick food was toast with jelly, gingerale and Jello, I hate jello now and Gingerale I can only drink if it's made into a shirley temple LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My sick food was toast with jelly, gingerale and Jello, I hate jello now and Gingerale I can only drink if it's made into a shirley temple LOL
I used to like Jell-o once in a while. In January of '09, I was in the hospital for two weeks. During that time, I was on a clear liquid diet (except for the last two days of my stay) and every. single. dam. tray. had Jell-o on it. I think you can guess how I feel about Jell-o now.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,113 times
Still love ginger ale!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
What a fun thread!

I grew up in the 50's & 60's and and we ate a lot of Portuguese dishes (they were from the Azores). Now, my mother did NOT like to cook, so she cooked what she had to, but she very rarely made deserts. Baking breads and biscuits from scratch were NOT her thing, so all of our pastries came from an excellent bakery in town.

Her cooking talents were weird because she couldn't fix some dishes worth a darn (spaghetti); however, she was noted for her red beans, and her stews were made with the same spices (YUM!). She cooked a lot of fish. Potatoes, either mashed or boiled or fried, were a staple. Ate lots of linguisa, a Portuguese sausage that I still love and buy when I can find it.

I really, really liked her rice pudding, which she used a LOT of cinnamon. She occasionally made cornbread from scratch, which I did NOT like (too dry). She did make Portuguese sweetbread once for an event, and that was good.

She never made meatloaf, or casseroles, or mac 'n' cheese, and she never made gravy. To this day I am not a gravy-eater. Also, by the time I came along (I was a late baby) she stopped preparing turkeys for Thanksgiving. It was always chicken, which I resented.

When I was a little kid, around 5'ish, a treat for me was a slice of bread with butter and sugar sprinkled on it. Mom didn't care about the sugar ~ she saw it as a way to promote eating the butter.

She made full breakfast spreads only on Sundays, and they included eggs, bacon, linguisa, beans, maybe pork 'n' beans, fried potatoes, and toast. My mouth is watering as I type this.

She made lots of soups ~ kale, turnip greens, cabbage. She had a small fenced in garden where she grew her own kale, fava beans, and peas. The cabbage soup was gross! But I loved the turnup green soup.
I had friends who would eat toast with butter and the cinnamon sugar thing on top. We never had that at our house. I think they had a sprinkle jar of it mixed up already. She had 5 kids--maybe a way of keeping them all quiet. Hehe.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 AM

We had that, the cinnamon and sugar stuff only we made our own instead of buying it. I still do make it for a treat for my grandchildren, lol mainly in the warm months so they can get outside after all that sugar.

We would also have brown sugar on pancakes, was very good with melted butter! Have not tried that in years, shutter to think what a sugar buzz that caused.

We also had fried potato sandwiches, on white bread of course!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I LOVE reading what everyone has written.

We had, in the '50s and '60s, cereal and orange juice for breakfast with cocoa in winter and milk in summer. Cocoa always had Marshmallow Fluff which would sink to the bottom of the cup and then rise!

For lunch, we rode our bikes home from school and had a grilled cheese sandwich, or tuna fish sandwich, peanut butter and jelly, pancakes, Campbells tomato soup with a sandwich, some sort of dried beef in a white sauce that came out of a can and you had it over toast, Franco American spaghetti in a can--some examples, I can't remember the rest.

For supper -- at quarter of 6 on the dot--we had potato, either baked or mashed, sometimes she'd make homemade French fries and then she'd have a fire extinguisher on hand, sometimes boiled, sliced, then fried with onions,

some kind of meat like meatloaf, hamburgers, chicken,steak, pot roast--always cheap meats due to being frugal and to this day I do not like meat.

Always two vegetables like peas, squash, carrots, beets, green beans, cauliflower(much better when she learned to put cheese sauce over it), turnip, corn from a can (or on the cob in summer).

Sometimes a casserole like macaroni and cheese made with Velveeta cheese and topped with little cut up squares of buttered white bread that turned toasty in the oven.

After supper there was always a dessert like apple crisp, her mother's recipe brownies, apple pie, canned (YUCK) fruit cocktail, coconut macaroons, chocolate chip cookies, canned or frozen peaches, canned pears, pudding (chocolate or rice pudding with raisins) or tapioca with a dab of strawberry jam in the middle.

At bedtime everyone had a bowl of cereal.

After school there were always chocolate chip cookies or brownies or chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'd have that with a tall glass of milk. It seems like my mother was constantly making chocolate chip cookies (she used the recipe on the chocolate chip package) and loading them into the cookie jar.

Summer drink treat was frozen lemonade, never soda. On a hot day you MIGHT get taken out for an ice cream cone but that was a real treat and ice cream was never available at home.

Winter treats were making fudge, or gathering snow in a bowl and making sugar on snow (syrup would turn brittle on the cold snow and you'd have to twirl it around a fork to eat it.)

I have such a sweet tooth from all of this--oh, she used to make CORN FRITTERS with maple syrup for supper sometimes in winter. I think we had bacon with it.

Sick food was some sort of bread soaked in milk and it did make you better. Also custard, which I still love.

SUNDAY and holidays--roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, scalloped potatoes, loads of vegetables, Bisquick rolls, banana bread, cranberry bread, and/or blueberry muffins. Dessert would be 3 kinds of pie with ice cream. Or turkey and all the trimmings.

We NEVER had rice. or pasta. Never even heard of pizza. Never had salads. Nothing ethnic.

Later on, we had Swanson pot pies and ice cream became more available in huge boxes. So we gorged on ice cream with Hershey chocolate sauce for snacks.

Another snack for night time which I still eat today was cinnamon toast. I just mix the cinnamon and sugar and keep it in a shaker to put on the hot buttered toast.

We NEVER ate out, ever. No one else did either. Vegetables came mostly from the garden and were canned for winter. We ate too many sweets and my mother loved to bake. However, to this day, I highly prefer a home cooked meal to something in a restaurant. Also, no one I knew ate anywhere but at the table, together. The end.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I LOVE reading what everyone has written.

We had, in the '50s and '60s, cereal and orange juice for breakfast with cocoa in winter and milk in summer. Cocoa always had Marshmallow Fluff which would sink to the bottom of the cup and then rise!

For lunch, we rode our bikes home from school and had a grilled cheese sandwich, or tuna fish sandwich, peanut butter and jelly, pancakes, Campbells tomato soup with a sandwich, some sort of dried beef in a white sauce that came out of a can and you had it over toast, Franco American spaghetti in a can--some examples, I can't remember the rest.

For supper -- at quarter of 6 on the dot--we had potato, either baked or mashed, sometimes she'd make homemade French fries and then she'd have a fire extinguisher on hand, sometimes boiled, sliced, then fried with onions,

some kind of meat like meatloaf, hamburgers, chicken,steak, pot roast--always cheap meats due to being frugal and to this day I do not like meat.

Always two vegetables like peas, squash, carrots, beets, green beans, cauliflower(much better when she learned to put cheese sauce over it), turnip, corn from a can (or on the cob in summer).

Sometimes a casserole like macaroni and cheese made with Velveeta cheese and topped with little cut up squares of buttered white bread that turned toasty in the oven.

After supper there was always a dessert like apple crisp, her mother's recipe brownies, apple pie, canned (YUCK) fruit cocktail, coconut macaroons, chocolate chip cookies, canned or frozen peaches, canned pears, pudding (chocolate or rice pudding with raisins) or tapioca with a dab of strawberry jam in the middle.

At bedtime everyone had a bowl of cereal.

After school there were always chocolate chip cookies or brownies or chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'd have that with a tall glass of milk. It seems like my mother was constantly making chocolate chip cookies (she used the recipe on the chocolate chip package) and loading them into the cookie jar.

Summer drink treat was frozen lemonade, never soda. On a hot day you MIGHT get taken out for an ice cream cone but that was a real treat and ice cream was never available at home.

Winter treats were making fudge, or gathering snow in a bowl and making sugar on snow (syrup would turn brittle on the cold snow and you'd have to twirl it around a fork to eat it.)

I have such a sweet tooth from all of this--oh, she used to make CORN FRITTERS with maple syrup for supper sometimes in winter. I think we had bacon with it.

Sick food was some sort of bread soaked in milk and it did make you better. Also custard, which I still love.

SUNDAY and holidays--roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, scalloped potatoes, loads of vegetables, Bisquick rolls, banana bread, cranberry bread, and/or blueberry muffins. Dessert would be 3 kinds of pie with ice cream. Or turkey and all the trimmings.

We NEVER had rice. or pasta. Never even heard of pizza. Never had salads. Nothing ethnic.

Later on, we had Swanson pot pies and ice cream became more available in huge boxes. So we gorged on ice cream with Hershey chocolate sauce for snacks.

Another snack for night time which I still eat today was cinnamon toast. I just mix the cinnamon and sugar and keep it in a shaker to put on the hot buttered toast.

We NEVER ate out, ever. No one else did either. Vegetables came mostly from the garden and were canned for winter. We ate too many sweets and my mother loved to bake. However, to this day, I highly prefer a home cooked meal to something in a restaurant. Also, no one I knew ate anywhere but at the table, together. The end.

OMG! I think we're related!

You've described our menu perfectly. And eating out was a B I G deal. And the only place you ate was at the table unless you were on a picnic. Oh, and we didn't have ice cream because we didn't have a freezer - just an ice box and the ice man came and walked right in and put a big chunk of ice in the top compartment. Oh, and did you ever forget to empty the drip pan and have a kitchen flood?

I made cinnamon toast for one of my little grands when she was 4 and the next day, she told her mother she was going to show her how to make her own breakfast. She proceeded to pull the chair over to the toaster, get out the butter and the shaker and made what she likes to call "cinnamon butter toast". I'm going to start a cookbook for her and that will be the first recipe I put in it.

This is a great thread!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Yep I don't think I tasted pizza until I was 12 years old, and then it was a one time thing that my brother brought home after he got out of work. I remember one time having hamburgers from a fast food place, not micky d's either, we were leaving on a vacation to my Grandma's house (KY and it was a longggg drive), we got these hamburgers and I thought they were the best thing I had ever tasted, I think the name of the place was "Come Back".

Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Yep I don't think I tasted pizza until I was 12 years old, and then it was a one time thing that my brother brought home after he got out of work. I remember one time having hamburgers from a fast food place, not micky d's either, we were leaving on a vacation to my Grandma's house (KY and it was a longggg drive), we got these hamburgers and I thought they were the best thing I had ever tasted, I think the name of the place was "Come Back".
I was 22 (they say you never forget your first time) when I had my first McDonald's hamburger.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,637 times
Coca-cola meatloaf! It was awesome!

I kinda thought about a dinner party where everone makes one of these old dishes to bring and share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink