Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times

Advertisements

3a's, did you read the article about the infamous "pink slime" (one wonders what the reaction would be if it had a different name, given its origins as detailed in that article) that I linked to earlier in this thread? Did you then follow up on the "chemical" that is used to kill bacteria in the meat? Would you prefer e coli instead? (After all, it IS about as organic as you can get.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM

452 posts, read 897,939 times
I did read the article and I also read other information on it and became very knowledgeable on it based on not just what you have provided. This as stated is a filler, it is not ground meat if it was then you would be able to eat it alone! We as a consumer have to start questioning what percentage is actual ground meat or by products. We as adults can make this decision; however, our children should not have to. My children have been educated not by me but by other children, adults at their school about this substance so I looked into it further to try to stop the hype. With what I have read I cannot allow the government to add a filler to our children’s' lunches that was not there before. If this was tested over a long period of time and showed no adverse effect on child study group (which will never happen) then I would have no problem. How about if the states start putting it into the state prison system prior to the federal government giving it to our children? Let's save money there instead of the schools and children’s' futures........If you can cite any medical studies I would have no problem if it were over a decade of study with no adverse effect. I think it took much longer before we found out about asbestos and the side effects to that.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
Everyone should do themselves a favor and read "Fast Food Nation" It will make you think twice before you pull into McDonald's or any other nationwide fast food chain for that double burger. I have started to buy a roast and have my local butcher grind it for me. The flavor is so good too!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM

I don't make my living with beef (just raise a little for our own consumption occasionally), but do live surrounded by the pastures and cattle of one of the larger operations of its kind in the country (whether it's #1 or #2 in the country depends on any given day). It has a contract with McDonald's to raise and provide cattle to provide beef for them. I hear and read all the stories about the horrible conditions that the cattle that McDonald's beef comes from live in, and then I look out my window at home or as I'm driving past their pastures on a daily basis - best pastures in the area because they take care of them, with fresh running water and with cattle that are raised there, moved from pasture to pasture to keep pastures and, thus, cattle healthy, using for the most part horses (never seen an ATV) so as not to disturb the cattle (no running of them, for example, no matter what TV and movies might tell you - this is a business, not entertainment ).

I have a choice - believe the hype and drama promoted to sell books and make reputations, or what I see with my own eyes. That's one of the reasons that when I hear or read something clearly intended to rouse the rabble so they'll spread the word so more books or movie tickets will sell they'll vote the intended way because of said hype and drama, I investigate further.

Your mileage may, of course, vary, and you may trust someone with something to gain from you believing certain things and being all upset to have your best interests rather than their own at heart and just believe what they tell you because clearly they'll only tell you the truth and there is nothing more to the story. I haven't been made that way since I was a child, too late to change it now!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,321 times
Update:
Safeway pulls 'pink slime' beef | Fox News

I was very surprised to even see that Safeway was carrying this.
HW

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Update:
Safeway pulls 'pink slime' beef | Fox News

I was very surprised to even see that Safeway was carrying this.
HW
Well, given that it's been stated that 70% of ground beef contains it (and apparently has back to the 1970's when it was instituted in response to a demand from the public for safer food), it's not surprising at all.

Let's see - getting all the meat off of the bones and chopping it up and treating it with something that's been deemed to be safe in order to prevent nasty bacteria and putting it in other beef that's been ground up. Shocking!

Of course, at home, I get all of the beef off of the bones that I can manually and put it with other chopped up beef and cook it with some other things and call it stew.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, given that it's been stated that 70% of ground beef contains it (and apparently has back to the 1970's when it was instituted in response to a demand from the public for safer food), it's not surprising at all.

Let's see - getting all the meat off of the bones and chopping it up and treating it with something that's been deemed to be safe in order to prevent nasty bacteria and putting it in other beef that's been ground up. Shocking!

Of course, at home, I get all of the beef off of the bones that I can manually and put it with other chopped up beef and cook it with some other things and call it stew.
Do you drop your meat on the floor of a barn that has fecal matter, intestines & blood? Then when you trim off the edges, do you heat the trimmings (mmm warm is lovely for bacteria) to allow fat to drip off?

Then do you douse what you have left with ammonia gas to make up for your lack of sanitation? That's pink slime, is that how you cook?

I never want to eat anything from your kitchen... not that it was offered.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM

No, I don't. I seriously doubt that any trimmings post slaughter are done in the barn, either. Where ARE you getting your information?

Bottom line, I don't blindly trust EITHER side in these kinds of issues, because BOTH sides have something to gain (financial, political, or both) from being blindly believed.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM

16,903 posts, read 16,114,481 times
I'd like two double whoppers with cheese, a giant fries and a medium drink, please.
Lordy, I'd hate to have to dine with some of you folks.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Everyone should do themselves a favor and read "Fast Food Nation" It will make you think twice before you pull into McDonald's or any other nationwide fast food chain for that double burger. I have started to buy a roast and have my local butcher grind it for me. The flavor is so good too!
now that makes sense. When I go my first food processor I would take a roast or steak and process it to make hamburer. I will add, I soon learned that isn't what food processors are for and it doesn't really work. Having your butcher do it is a geat idea.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink