Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,317,565 times

Advertisements

are the food industry, and industrial ranches that raise the various animals we eat cruel?

I hear people saying how it is unnecessarily cruel, but from what I understand is that if the animal is in a state of discomfort, or fear, or distress, than they start producing more adrenaline that goes through their bodies, and that makes their meat impalatable. Is that true? If so that would mean the farms would have to try and go out of their way to make their lives pretty comfortable.

Anyone here work in the industry want to explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,231,293 times
Watch "Fast food nation" or get the book with the same name. The answer is in there.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,582,929 times
Humanely reared , organic meat does taste a lot better. It is unfortunately a lot more expensive but worth the money if you can afford it. I always try to buy from small local producers if at all possible. I am an ardent carnivore but see no reason why animals have to be reared in terrible conditions and suffer a lot to feed me. Bacon from an organic farmer for example is just a world apart from intensively reared bacon. I also prefer the idea that nasty chemicals won't have been added to my food. It just makes sense to have a more natural diet.

I have no problems with eating meat but I do have a big problem with us abusing animals. Money is always the bottom line but as consumers we have the power to demand better and to change all this. The more people demand it, the more it becomes normal and the cheaper it becomes. It's all about demand and consumer power.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,943,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

are the food industry, and industrial ranches that raise the various animals we eat cruel?
It's not so much that they are deliberately cruel, it's just that they don't care--they are all about maximizing profit.
I agree with both Pink String and Mooseketeer.

BTW
I've read some pretty nasty things about the kosher beef and chicken industry. Kosher animals are *supposed* to be slaughtered humanely, but such is not always the case.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 09-12-2007 at 04:08 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 09:47 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,839,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Watch "Fast food nation" or get the book with the same name. The answer is in there.
True. It's brutal as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Humanely reared , organic meat does taste a lot better. It is unfortunately a lot more expensive but worth the money if you can afford it. I always try to buy from small local producers if at all possible. I am an ardent carnivore but see no reason why animals have to be reared in terrible conditions and suffer a lot to feed me. Bacon from an organic farmer for example is just a world apart from intensively reared bacon. I also prefer the idea that nasty chemicals won't have been added to my food. It just makes sense to have a more natural diet.

I have no problems with eating meat but I do have a big problem with us abusing animals. Money is always the bottom line but as consumers we have the power to demand better and to change all this. The more people demand it, the more it becomes normal and the cheaper it becomes. It's all about demand and consumer power.

I couldn't agree more with your post. You're right when it comes to organic food as well. It is a BIG difference.

Maybe this is going a little bit off topics, but I recently saw what people in China capturing dophins and torturing them ( REALLY DISTURBING ) in order for dolphins to supposedly release the adrenaline ( I don't believe in that ) - they sell dolphins as a sushi meat. If any of you is interested in a link, I'll post it. It is EDUCATIONAL, but GRUESOME!!!VERY!!!

Why I don't believe in releasing the adrenaline...According to my perspective, when you release adrenaline your muscels will tense up ( I am just talking about what I heard ), and I cannot see that that will "contribute" to meat being more flavorful? Maybe harder? On the other hand, I can see that as an excuse - it is much cheaper to take a knife or whatever else and butcher and torture the animal, then giving them some "form of euthenesia". Humaine euthenesia.

But a lot of people have this perspective. AS LONG AS THE MEAT IS CHEAP, AND THEY DON'T KNOW "HOW THE MEAT COMES ON THEIR PLATES" - they don't care.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,060,446 times
This is a serious issue that most people either dont care about or just arent aware of. Its very sad.

lastra - I hadnt heard of dolphins being tortured, but they do that with dogs and cats too. But we dont have to go to China to see animal cruelty, as you said, farms here do the same. As someone said earlier, its all about money.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
This is a serious issue that most people either dont care about or just arent aware of. Its very sad.

lastra - I hadnt heard of dolphins being tortured, but they do that with dogs and cats too. But we dont have to go to China to see animal cruelty, as you said, farms here do the same. As someone said earlier, its all about money.

VERY TRUE.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,317,565 times
The adrenaline actually makes the meat unedible from what I have heard

Are you sure they were going to eat the dolphins? Actually chinese dolphins are extinct now.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Are you sure they were going to eat the dolphins? Actually chinese dolphins are extinct now.
YEAH!!!There is a petition going on to stop that. They use dolphins instead of the whale meat for sushi. I'll PM you the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink