Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,743 times

Advertisements

Herdez Salsa Verde is my favorite, you can usually find it in the Mexican or International aisle of some grocery stores. It's really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
OP, I'd recommend a brand if I had a favorite store-bought, but I really don't.

These two homemade salsas look very tasty and different:

Blend Your Salsa: A Tale of Two Salsas | The Paupered Chef

I want to try the first one, because he (like me) generally prefers a salsa with fresh tomatoes, but he says he can't improve on this one which his friend gave him. It uses canned tomatoes and dried guajillos, which are available at any supermarket in Texas or California, your mileage may vary.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,262 times
Store salsa will never be as good as homemade salsa because store-bought MUST use vinegar to preserve it. As a result, store-bought always has a vinegar-y taste to it.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I love salsa. I put it on everything from eggs to burgers.

But, for some reason, at home, I usually just settle for the boring grocery store stuff from a jar. I've tried a number of the national brands from our nearby major chain grocery store (Ralphs), and I've tried pretty much everything Trader Joes has to offer. They are mostly okay, but nothing great.

I use Tapatio often, and I enjoy it immenesly, but I'm looking for a more true salsa (less of a sauce).

I prefer smoother salsa (relative to the real chunky stuff, or a pico de gallo). If given the choice, I usually prefer a green or black salsa, but enjoy all varieties.

I need something that is available in Orange County, California, where I live, or on the internet.
I don't know what brand is best because we make our own. Our son in law eats it on about everything, just like you, so he makes a batch about every week and keeps it in the fridge, we can ours every summer. I will say, there is a lot of chopping and mixing but once it is canned it is worth every second it took. I also make a few jars of pinapple/mango salsa to use on pork, chicken, etc. Yes, we use a tab amount of vigegar but almost none. Our regular tomato and pepper salsa get acid from the lines we use.

Nita

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I agree with making your own salsa. You need a blender or food processor.
All you need is a good knife. And a cutting board.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Herdez Salsa Verde is my favorite, you can usually find it in the Mexican or International aisle of some grocery stores. It's really good.
Precisely !! If you want restaurant type store bought this is it! I make my own pico de gallo and have made chiltepin sauce but it's very hot.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
How long does homemade salsa keep in the fridge? I've wanted to try making my own but I'm super busy and I have only myself to feed. I don't like spending money on ingredients for a gallon of salsa and have 3/4 of it spoil because I got sucked into eating dinner elsewhere the rest of the week. I also don't like having to make an individual serving every time I want some
It'll keep awhile, but you're better off making it in small batches. You don't have to buy enough ingredients for a gallon of the stuff. I don't. You can even get frozen cubed minced cilantro (aka coriander) at Trader Joe's - it comes I think 10 cubes to a package, and you use only 1-2 cubes and the rest stays perfectly frozen and ready to use another day, for like - a year. You pop them out just like ice cubes from their little plastic tray.

So - here's what you use, for a 1-person household, to last 3 days:

1 small vine-ripe tomato, chopped.
1/2 of a red onion, chopped.
The juice of 1/4 of a ripe lemon.
10 slices of pickled jalapeno from a jar, minced.
2 of those cubes of cilantro, OR if you grow it in your herb garden, just 1-2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped. Or, you can buy it from the produce section of the supermarket. It -cannot- be dried cilantro, it must be either fresh, or fresh-frozen.

Mix it all up together. Eat.
The only thing that you'll have, that you can't consume within 3 days, is the rest of the jar of jalapenos. You can use those on burgers or in salads, and they'll last around 6 months in the fridge. Canned has to be transferred to a different container once opened but if it's airtight will last around 4 months in the fridge.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Since you're looking for a pureed salsa, not chunky, it will work fine to freeze it. You can freeze it in ice cube trays and then put the frozen cubes in a ziplock bag once they've frozen hard, so you have individual serving cubes to pull out.

This is my recipe for fresh salsa:

One white onion
9 roma tomatoes
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
1 serrano pepper, seeded (if you like it hot)
cilantro if you like it
juice of one lime
salt
pepper

Dice onion, tomatoes, peppers. Put tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro in the blender and puree to desired consistency. Pour into a fine mesh strainer and let the excess liquid drain out. Squeeze lime juice over the salsa, season with salt and pepper if desired, stir, and refrigerate at least one hour to let the flavors blend before serving.

Here's my roasted tomatillo salsa recipe:

1 lb tomatillos
3 jalapeno peppers
1 serrano pepper
2 small white onions, diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Remove tomatillo husks, rinse the sticky stuff off, cut in halves and put on baking tray, seed side down. Remove stems and seeds from peppers, and put them on the baking tray too. Bake them 15 minutes, then check and remove the ones that are starting to brown. When all of your tomatillos and peppers have browned a little bit, take them out and let them cool, then put them in the blender, add the onions, and puree until smooth. This one doesn't need the liquid strained from it, it will thicken as it cools. Add more serrano peppers if you want it hotter. It can be mixed with sour cream as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
If you ever ate at Baja Fresh, this is what I like. They are either non existant or rare anymore.
The key to homemade salsa is that the tomatoes must be fresh and good. Everything else is readily available.
I make my own and this is how I do it. Fresh tomatoes (about 6), a large sweet Vidalia onion, 1/2 bunch of cilantro, 1-2 jalapeno peppers, juice of a lime, salt and pepper, white vinegar. You can add other stuff, like jicama or tomatillos if you want.
Use a mini chopper to chop everything, little by little, and plop it into a bowl. That's it.
I have heard that the fresh salsa at Sam's Club is good.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Herdez salsa casera for the chunky. Pico Pica hot sauce the smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink