Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Did you mean to write Whole Foods instead of TJs? Trader Joes only has frozen meat where at Whole Foods, you can get REALLY good cuts of FRESH meat. I LOVE Whole Foods' meats.
Both are way overpriced in the meat department.....no way am I buying my meat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Being aware and practicing what you are aware of are two completely different concepts.

Could have fooled me. I work with a bunch of 'em.

Why don't we drop the superior, know-it-all attitude, shall we?

What are you going on about? Organic food can prevent mental illness? Those Pennsylvania apples I bought are really from China? Organic bananas from Trader Joe's aren't as healthy as other organic bananas? Organic crackers are devoid of anything?

Boy Howdy, I am confused ...

How can meat be "yuppified"?
Overcharge and put an ORGANIC label on the packaging.......Yuppies swarm to it.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
each TJ gets there produce from different places I dont know where you are located but the TJ in N. NV are getting theirs MAINLY from other countries. NONE of them support local farmers NONE of them have a large portion of veggies and fruit grown in the USA. I was in there today and almost all the producce was from latin american countries. I asked a few months ago and they told me because it was cheaper and then they have several contracts with growers in foreign countries.

Exactly which stores are selling locally grown produce this time of year? In general, produce is shipped in from those locations that are producing at any given time. In early April, that is generally in Mexico and Central America.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 7,639,289 times
I have found food products from china so always watch the labels at T.J.s. They do disguse the country of origin so look until you find it.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
each TJ gets there produce from different places I dont know where you are located but the TJ in N. NV are getting theirs MAINLY from other countries. NONE of them support local farmers NONE of them have a large portion of veggies and fruit grown in the USA. I was in there today and almost all the producce was from latin american countries. I asked a few months ago and they told me because it was cheaper and then they have several contracts with growers in foreign countries.
WE don't have TJo's here but when we are in locations where they are located we do shop there. As for most of the produce being from Latin America, that is the case here in AR as well, even in our small, local grocery stores. Yes, it is cheaper and until later in the spring there really isn't a lot of choice. Most products are not grown in the winter with the exception of citrus fruits. When we were in NM Tjos did have produce that was grown in the USA.
As I have mentioned over and over, it is up to each of us to decide what is best for us. Where can we shop and get produce grown in the USA in winter or even early spring? Of course artichokes and Asparagus are grown in CA in early spring, but most of what we all concume comes from Latin America or is hot house grown and tastes awful...Try checking back with them in summer to see where the produce is grown.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 AM

41,892 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Overcharge and put an ORGANIC label on the packaging.......Yuppies swarm to it.
I'm no yuppie -- nor, I would imagine, are many people who value organic food -- but I will happily pay more for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink