Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Bugs are an animal product? HUH
Yes, I have several friends who are strict vegans and won't eat anything with this dye, or honey, or Lea & Perrins. They have to read all labels, all the time, so that they don't overlook anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
The story really seems to go out of it's way to make Starbucks the bad guy for a common ingredient.
I think that, AGAIN, its all about the lack of disclosure.
If everyone would just list the ingredients, there would be much less problems with public outrage.
People generally think, that if you hide something - it must be a reason.
The reason the Starbucks case has become an issue is nobody expected Starbucks, a company that touts their corporate responsibility to customers and the environment, would feed their customers insects without telling them. While Starbucks now talks about how their strawberry products are not vegan, the fact is they broke trust with their customers, and not just vegans.
For years, kosher consumers have been drinking some Starbucks beverages, but the cross-contamination will keep them and many non-kosher consumers away too.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yes, I have several friends who are strict vegans and won't eat anything with this dye, or honey, or Lea & Perrins. They have to read all labels, all the time, so that they don't overlook anything.
What about all the bug parts and guts that end up in their veggies and veggie products. Yes I am being serious.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
i would never order a strawberry frap in the first place, but the fact that there it contains coloring from beetles doesn't bother me at all.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I would assume most vegetarians know that if you are eating something red, there is a good chance it's red because of carminic acid, much like if you're eating something the needs to be solidified there is a good chance you're eating gelatin, which is even grosser than carminic acid if you stop to think about it.
I would assume so too, except that I know vegetarians who didn't realize that cheese containing rennet (and a lot of them still do) is not vegetarian, even for lacto-ovos. In that same discussion, one of them also learned about worcestershire, although not from me. Someone might think a Frap is "just dairy" ... I mean, look at the reactions from people in this thread.

I thought Coke contained cochineal, but I looked yesterday and apparently not.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I would assume so too, except that I know vegetarians who didn't realize that cheese containing rennet (and a lot of them still do) is not vegetarian, even for lacto-ovos. In that same discussion, one of them also learned about worcestershire, although not from me. Someone might think a Frap is "just dairy" ... I mean, look at the reactions from people in this thread.

I thought Coke contained cochineal, but I looked yesterday and apparently not.

Oh the humanity. LOL

I can't believe none of the Navy folks on this board haven't mentioned the bug juice tie in.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Hmm, my camp counselors did call Kool-Aid "bug juice." And it was red too!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Well Starbucks is doing away with the use of the bug ....so this is now a mute subject.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...with_crus.html

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Good news!
Lycopene is good for you!!
And surely beats the widely used Red #40

Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I thought everybody knew about this but surely the pertinent question is why we need colouring agents at all ( natural or not) in our foods. Are we as customers so shallow that we need those colours to find certain foods more appealing. Shouldn't a product made with decent ingredients be enough on its own ?

Surely a Strawberry frappe if it has ever seen a strawberry does not have any need of ANY colouring ?

In Britain for example a lot of curries ( pretty much the "National" food for Brits) is always a dubious and bilious shade of violent orange or red and 9 out of ten times the colouring agent is some artificial garbage. Why ? Because people have been brainwashed into thinking that a Curry has to look orange or a Tandoori dish bright red which is ludicrous.

Some restaurants do use turmeric ( the posher ones Saffron) but mostly is will be some vile chemical garbage. Because the customers expect it.

I had curries all over India and virtually no dish I know of had this colouring, they were simply the colour they turned when cooked, period.

As for eating crushed bugs I would rather have that than some wholly artificial one though I fail to see why we need any at all truth be told. Cochineal has been used as a natural dyeing agent for centuries but I wish we were just happy with our foods as it is naturally.

I have always found cakes of violent hues for example an utterly bizarre concept especially when the colouring is artificial. What is wrong with a cake which is the colour of the amalgamation of its ingredients ? Are we really that moronic and that shallow as customers that we are distracted by shiny baubles ? Apparently so.

I suppose it stops us from thinking about the real issue which is what actually goes into our food. Anything made with good, fresh ingredients should need no shiny bling to add to its appeal. IMO anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink