Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Margarine or butter?
Margarine 5 6.76%
Butter 55 74.32%
I'm not fussy/It doesn't matter 2 2.70%
It really depends on the application... 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Years and years ago I was taught in culinary school that most recipes, especially recipes for baked goods that unsalted butter should be used.

The reason for this is that it is easier to control the flavor when you use a neutral base, and unsalted butter provides that neutrality. You can't control the amount of salt in any given block of salted butter, but you can adjust the amount of salt in a recipe to suit your taste.

Also unsalted butter is generally fresher than salted butter...
It seems, in most of my recipe books, that they generallly make the assumption that one is using salted butter, and clearly state if un-salted butter is to be used, instead. But, it is interesting that your culinary school taught you something different. It does make sense, with the reasoning you were given. But, since my books go the other direction, and my meals, and baked goods, seem to always turn out just fine, I suppose I should stick to what I know. But, if I ever come across a recipe that turns out bad, (and, I can trace it to the salted butter), or the recipe is not clear, then I will definitely try it your way.

As to the un-salted butter being more fresh, I honestly have not been able to tell the difference, at least, not in the baking. And, I don't use un-salted to eat with. It's always salted, (and, when I feel like really splurging, I use Irish butter, like Kerry Gold. Haven't tried imported butter from any other country, except Ireland, but, that is some good butter!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
butter is better

If God had meant us to spread partially hydrogenated vegetable oil on food, that's what cows would produce.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,137,983 times
Husband wants Smart Balance but I like the real stuff..Butter!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 PM

37,583 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
It seems, in most of my recipe books, that they generallly make the assumption that one is using salted butter, and clearly state if un-salted butter is to be used, instead. But, it is interesting that your culinary school taught you something different. It does make sense, with the reasoning you were given. But, since my books go the other direction, and my meals, and baked goods, seem to always turn out just fine, I suppose I should stick to what I know. But, if I ever come across a recipe that turns out bad, (and, I can trace it to the salted butter), or the recipe is not clear, then I will definitely try it your way.

As to the un-salted butter being more fresh, I honestly have not been able to tell the difference, at least, not in the baking. And, I don't use un-salted to eat with. It's always salted, (and, when I feel like really splurging, I use Irish butter, like Kerry Gold. Haven't tried imported butter from any other country, except Ireland, but, that is some good butter!).
Yep. I always use salted, unless the recipe calls for unsalted. One exception is for my pound cakes...I generally try to use unsalted. And yeah that Irish butter is the bomb, isn't it?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM

37,583 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Well that might partially explain my severe aversion to it. The smell of margarine, especially when melted, makes me gag. Same with the taste. Proud to say that I've never purchased the stuff.
Funny how much I was exactly the opposite way. I could never even stand to taste anything with butter in it, much less use it on toast or a baked potato. It literally make me gag it tasted so awful. I still prefer margarine on toast/potatoes, but I can eat them with butter just fine. And I truly love Irish butter on artisan bread. My sister however, is still afflicted with the same aversion. She won't even order a baked potato in a restaurant unless she knows they have margarine.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:09 AM

426 posts, read 1,086,680 times
Butter only! No man made "butter substitute" for me.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

It is a crime against nature to fry eggs in anything except butter.
Sometimes, I just fry them in vegetable oil...sometimes.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Butter all the way. Even make it at home.

Sometimes I keep a little tub of Smart Balance in the fridge though. It's not too bad for cooking with and spreading on toast.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,387 times
Must be butter!! I too read about how margarine was made and haven't touched it since.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
butter is better

If God had meant us to spread partially hydrogenated vegetable oil on food, that's what cows would produce.
What's the purpose of shortening??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink