Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Margarine or butter?
Margarine 5 6.76%
Butter 55 74.32%
I'm not fussy/It doesn't matter 2 2.70%
It really depends on the application... 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,634,121 times

Advertisements

Butter is nice on toast or on bread but when I make sandwiches I always use olive spread because it's reeeeeeeeeeally healthy and tastes yummy.

Thanks for the facts though, I never eat margarine anyway but from now on I'm not even going to contemplate trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,045,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
the sad thing is that I've been to multiple restaurants recently who only offer margerine with their rolls or biscuits ... I don't know what the heck they are thinking about other than saving some money.

It really bothers me that substitute foods are often created and marketed as "healthy" but in my own realtively short lifetime almost everything introduced as such as proven to be very bad for you. It can be difficult to discern marketing from reality these days.
Denny's only offers margarine. So I never order pancakes from them. IHOP seems to offer real butter. I've never liked margarine.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,005,919 times
We just bought some butter from an Amish store that just opened in a nearby town.
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!
They called it rolled butter.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

187 posts, read 587,717 times
I wish they'd make up their minds with all these studies. Eggs are bad for you - OOPS, no, never mind, eggs are great for you. Butter will kill you so eat margarine. WAIT, margarine's nasty - eat BUTTER.

I've quit listening to the experts. I love butter. I love sugar not saccharine. I eat real bacon. I'm really living on the edge with that one!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 PM

50,074 posts, read 63,428,947 times
The various claims of this email are addressed on snopes.com. As others have said, butter, evoo, and spreads like smart balance, all have their place. I will say that I will not ever substitute for butter in any baking. i've tried it and it is just no good.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,572,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
It really bothers me that substitute foods are often created and marketed as "healthy" but in my own realtively short lifetime almost everything introduced as such as proven to be very bad for you. It can be difficult to discern marketing from reality these days.
I guess this goes to show why we have all these new ailements and diseases because they're coming up with manufacturered food instead. Probably why the 8 year olds are starting to look like 14. it's scary, I think I'll just go back to the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Margerine is like spreading vasaline on your food.
That is GROSS

Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,413,523 times
I guess it's personal preference....
I grew up with butter, and that's all I am using.
However, I did try Margarine and other "healthy" spreads...only to be disappointed and go back to butter.
I guess I am an "all butter girl".....lol.
P.S. There were several health studies done over the years....don't you guys find it very interesting, that one year they declared Margarine as "unhealthy", and the following year Butter?
And, that trend is STILL going on, alternating from year to year........ I find that very strange, but I still got to eat and live....lol

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Any natural food -- in moderation, of course (dang!) has got to be better for your health than a manufactured food. The fewer ingredients the better.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM

853 posts, read 966,961 times
Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
OMG I had some butter my parents bought at the Mennonites store outside Crossville TN, it is the best tasting butter i've ever had, its been so long since i've had quality i'd forgotten what its supposed to be like. This stuff almost tastes like a colby cheese. I'm no pig but I had to cut myself off and walk away.
I had no idea that there would be such a difference in taste! I may have to find a source for either Mennonite or Amish butter just to see for myself!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd4wurd View Post
I had no idea that there would be such a difference in taste! I may have to find a source for either Mennonite or Amish butter just to see for myself!
Good , real butter is a completely different product. It can become a true delight just on its own with some fresh crusty bread. I love Breton and Norman butter which is wonderful and comes seasoned with a hint of fresh coarse sea-salt. It should be yellow , not white and have been hand-churned. Jersey cows also produce fab butter ( and milk/cream).
I am sure Amish and Mennonite butter is wonderful though, they must use the traditional churning method and as their cows will be completely organically reared , the taste will follow...

There is nothing like cooking with butter. I also cook in olive oil but butter gives a different depth and richness which can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink