Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I have always wanted to go to one! I have no clue what states have them, but mine doesn't. I just want to try everything for the sake of it. I once took a two hour road trip to find a Sonic lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, I know. We had several near where I use to live in CA. But there are none in here in NC. I do miss that! That's why I mentioned wondering how to get them to open up in this area? Oh well, at least that will be one thing I will be able to look forward to when we go back to CA to visit.
To all those that are wondering, In-N-Out only has restaurants in California, Arizona, and Nevada. They are a family owned and operated business, and are not franchised. I believe the main reason they have not expanded any further out is that they use only fresh products, and if I'm not mistaken, produce these products in Southern California. They need to keep their restaurants within a reasonable distance to preserve the freshness of their products. They are rumored to be considering opening locations in southern Utah, and my guess would have to be St. George or one of the surrounding communities.

In-N-Out is about the only reason I have for stopping in Las Vegas when I am returning home from out of state, with Bass Pro Shops and gas stations being the other reasons. I don't have to worry about stopping there as much now, though, since a new In-N-Out opened near me this past Labor Day weekend. They brought in trainers from several of their other locations to help out at the new store for a few weeks, while the newly hired staff learns the business. They pay their employees a lot more than most of the other fast food places do. From what I've seen of how they take care of their employees, they really do run a first class operation.

If you aren't familiar with their operation, watch the employees activities when you visit. From what I've seen every time I've been there, the employees are all trained to keep busy, even if it's just wiping trays or tables when they aren't serving their customers. They do a great job in keeping the place clean, even during the busy times.

I really like eating at In-N-Out Burger, because of the freshness of the food, and the cleanliness of the restaurant. They also have a few items that aren't on the main menu, such as neapolitan milkshakes, and "Animal Style" fries and burgers. If you do a web search for the "secret menu," you should be able to find out about these things.

Here is a little history about In-N-Out from Wikipedia:

In-N-Out's first location was opened on October 22, 1948 by Harry and Esther Snyder at the northwest corner of what is now the intersection of Interstate 10 and Francisquito Avenue in the Los Angeles suburb of Baldwin Park, California. It was almost three years before a second location was opened in the San Gabriel Valley. At the time of Harry's death in 1976 the company had only expanded to 18 stores located exclusively in Southern California. Rich Snyder became the company president. From 1976 until his death in 1993 they grew to 93 stores.[7] [8]
In 1984, the company established In-N-Out University for the purpose of training its management-level employees in a "real world" setting. As the university was a full service restaurant, its operations were similar to that of any other In-N-Out restaurant and to the casual observer it was like any of the others except for its larger size (floor area). In 2004 the original university was demolished and a new, "state of the art training facility" along with a new restaurant with a 75-seat indoor dining area was constructed. After its completion, the original location was closed. The original kitchen is planned to be preserved as part of an upcoming In-N-Out Museum.
In 1992, In-N-Out opened its first non-Southern California restaurants in Las Vegas (one at Sahara Avenue west of Interstate 15 and the other on Nellis Boulevard just north of Charleston Boulevard). Expansion then began into Northern California, including one location in San Francisco, at Fisherman's Wharf, and with additional Las Vegas-area restaurants opening. By 2000, locations in Arizona were established. In-N-Out opened other Nevada restaurants in Reno, Sparks, and Carson City in fall of 2004. The Tucson In-N-Out holds the company record for most burgers sold in a day and week.[9] The company is planning expansion into Utah in 2008.[10] In June 2007, In-N-Out filed suit against an American Fork, Utah restaurant named "Chadders" for trademark infringement, claiming that the "look and feel" of the restaurant too closely mimicked the In-N-Out style and that the restaurant was serving menu items, such as "Animal Fries", with trademarked names.[11]. A judge issued a temporary restraining order against the look-alike, but the issue has yet to be definitively resolved.
On December 15, 1993, In-N-Out's president, Rich Snyder, son of the founders, and four other passengers died in a plane crash on approach to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California after opening store #93 in Fresno.[12] Snyder was aboard a charter plane. The charter aircraft followed in a Boeing 757 for landing, became caught in its wake turbulence, rolled into a deep descent and crashed near the intersection of California State Route 55 and Edinger Avenue. The crash investigation led to the FAA requirement for an adequate period between heavy aircraft and following light aircraft to allow wake turbulence to diminish. As a result of this crash Rich's brother, Guy, assumed the presidency.
In 1999, Guy died of an overdose of Vicodin.[4] Esther Snyder, the matriarch of the founding family, subsequently held the presidency until she died August 4, 2006 at the age of 86. Mark Taylor, former Vice President of Operations and brother-in-law to Lynsi Martinez (Harry and Esther Snyder's only grandchild through Guy and company heir), became the company's fifth president.[13][14]
Due to relatively few locations (compared to other fast food chains), a business model where the food is made to order (rather than precooked then reheated), and the high quality -- and popularity -- of the food, the drive-through and in-store lines can be long. A wait 15 minutes or longer is sometimes common to receive one's order. However, the wait time is often due to the length of the line more than the preparation time for the burgers.
The In-N-Out model is in stark contrast to its traditional rival, McDonald's (which began at about the same time in nearby San Bernardino). This is reflected in In-N-Out advertising, which focuses on the food, compared to McDonalds' ads which promote the "experience." Other major competitors include Carl's Jr., Burger King, Dairy Queen and A&W, but none have inspired the customer loyalty of In-N-Out.[15]
All locations are company-owned. The privately owned corporation does not currently plan to franchise or to take the company public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Do you have their chains in your city?I love their burgers,I go there once in a while,some have restaurants some are drive-throu's
They make great burgers,love their onions,you can request fried onions,yum
In N Out is a private corporations so it won't be spreading across the country anytime soon. Too bad for the rest of the country eh...

Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
We're lucky to have an In N' Out in Phoenix. There food is great, the service is excellent, and its quite clean. Anytime friends or family visit from the Midwest, they ALWAYS have to stop at In N' Out to get their fix.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
Great to know so many people like them,jdavid93225 did a good job!
I like looking at them in the kitchen,the workers are clean and quick.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
We just came back from Nevada and Arizona where we tried In and Out Burger and a Sonic burger as we do not have these chains in our area. The beef patty was quit thin, didn't extend to the bun, and wasn't all that tasty.

Sorry, you can keep these burger places.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,625 times
I think In N' Out is overrated. The few times I've eaten there I had soggy greasy fries and a pretty greasy burger. Definately was not impressed with the taste.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
In & Out is DA BOMB!

Ever since moving to the West coast from the East coast, I haven't gone to a McDonalds (that's 9+ months!) b'c of In & Out. We try not to eat stuff like that but dang, their burgers can't be beat. I am addicted to their shakes, too. Sweet stuff!

So what's the dealy on their "secret" menu? I know you can find it online but is there a "top secret" menu only the esoteric few know about?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
In & Out is DA BOMB!

Ever since moving to the West coast from the East coast, I haven't gone to a McDonalds (that's 9+ months!) b'c of In & Out. We try not to eat stuff like that but dang, their burgers can't be beat. I am addicted to their shakes, too. Sweet stuff!

So what's the dealy on their "secret" menu? I know you can find it online but is there a "top secret" menu only the esoteric few know about?
its not a secret, they just want to keep the actual menu simple. You can order your cheeseburger all kinds of ways. You can even get an 8x8. I don't know how anyone can get their mouth around that, but they do. You can order it 'animal style'. There are websites I've heard of, but never been to one.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
i was going to rep you movingoutofca but need to spread the love - thanks for the input!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
i was going to rep you movingoutofca but need to spread the love - thanks for the input!
I gave you love, but I accidentally did the quick rep. So that was me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink