Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I have the burgerdom good fortune (or caloric misfortune) of living in something of a Hamburger Golden Triangle in Scottsdale, AZ where, within a 15 min drive, I can hit In-N-Out, Whataburger, Culvers, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Steak and Shake, Smashburger, Portillos, all the lesser chains and a handful of local operations and in my humblest of opinions I offer that In-N-Out gets a fair amount of my business for the following reasons. Value, because for $7 you can snag a Double Double w/fries and a drink. Is it the best sandwich out there? No, but you'd be hard pressed to find better and fresher ingredients for the money. If you're charging $12 or so for a burger alone like Shack Shack and (anymore) Five Guys, it's pretty easy to make the equation work.

The ONE thing that In-N-Out has going for it is that the hamburger is identical across ALL locations. You know exactly what you are going to get and exactly what it is going to look like and how it is going to taste.

Since you mentioned Scottsdale, I will note the following.

The local Steak and Shake does not carry the same menu in Arizona. They have gone "upscale" and do not carry items like the chili and the hamburger is different.

Whataburger in Texas is the best hamburger that I have ever had. However, somewhere along I-10, they lose their charm as the ones in Tucson do not serve great hamburgers.

Culver's is pretty similar. You ask for many of the favorites from Wisconsin and you get blank stares from their largely untrained staffs.

You always know what you will get at In-N-Out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,639,466 times
I had it for the first time when I lived in Texas. Okay food, but not as spectacular as people make it out to be. It was always fresh and consistent. Definitely better than McDonalds or Burger King.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM

7,809 posts, read 4,516,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The ONE thing that In-N-Out has going for it is that the hamburger is identical across ALL locations. You know exactly what you are going to get and exactly what it is going to look like and how it is going to taste.

Since you mentioned Scottsdale, I will note the following.

The local Steak and Shake does not carry the same menu in Arizona. They have gone "upscale" and do not carry items like the chili and the hamburger is different.

Whataburger in Texas is the best hamburger that I have ever had. However, somewhere along I-10, they lose their charm as the ones in Tucson do not serve great hamburgers.

Culver's is pretty similar. You ask for many of the favorites from Wisconsin and you get blank stares from their largely untrained staffs.

You always know what you will get at In-N-Out.
Great observations. Hadn't noticed the difference in AZ S&S menu and as is my practice of spending as little time as possible in Texas I'm blind to any westward changes at Whataburger.

Spot on about SW Culver's, it does drop off dramatically from the Great Lakes area. I want to clock 'em every time they hand me a shake in the Arizona heat then give me the number card and ask to move out of the drive thru lane

Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,045,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I have the burgerdom good fortune (or caloric misfortune) of living in something of a Hamburger Golden Triangle in Scottsdale, AZ where, within a 15 min drive, I can hit In-N-Out, Whataburger, Culvers, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Steak and Shake, Smashburger, Portillos, all the lesser chains and a handful of local operations and in my humblest of opinions I offer that In-N-Out gets a fair amount of my business for the following reasons. Value, because for $7 you can snag a Double Double w/fries and a drink. Is it the best sandwich out there? No, but you'd be hard pressed to find better and fresher ingredients for the money. If you're charging $12 or so for a burger alone like Shack Shack and (anymore) Five Guys, it's pretty easy to make the equation work.

Operationally I-N-O does a great job of cleanliness and they seem to treat their employees exceptionally well, with tuition assistance and, I understand, managers at busy stores (aren't they all) can pull down near six figure salaries. This is not to say they don't have their flaws. Par cooking their fries would help a lot, but it is what it is.

If there were no I-N-O, you'd probably find me at Culver's for the Butterburgers & custard shakes. If I go into wolf mode, oddly Whatabuger is strangely satisfying (Texans I know swear by the place). The rest are just something of a blur. My all-star meal would be a I-N-O Double-Double, Steak and Shake fries and a Culver milkshake (Blackberry please)

At the end of the day, different courses for different horses.

For all of those reasons IN-N-Out is tops. Regardless of price I would take them over 5 Guys and Shake Shack. I was shocked at how small Shake Shacks burgers are.
I don't like them better, but do you have Freddy's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink