Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In an average month, how many stores do you normally shop at for groceries?
One 9 14.75%
Two 19 31.15%
Three 16 26.23%
Four or more 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

There's a Super H at the north end of town. It wouldn't be very convenient for me, but I have heard good things. I will check it out. I need another place to buy fish anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
One supermarket called "Waitrose" which is small, always has stuff I want to buy, great ready meals and principles of animal husbandry, sustainability and ethics I really appreciate. They stock a lot of fairtrade items which is important to me.

I also buy meat direct from Farmers' shops as well as veggies and fruits from markets when we have them. And my free range Eggs usually from people who rear chickens on a teeny-tiny scale.

I tend to order from Waitrose online for my "big shop" ( monthly) and then top up about once a week for smaller fresher items. I hate grocery shopping and as delivery is free and the driver unloads it all for me no drawbacks at all.

I occasionally buy cheeses and specialty items from the Covered Market in Oxford which is basically a huge deli.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I should have mentioned their other brand Ultra Foods. I'm looking at their website and almost all of the new Illinois locations are Ultra's. Looks like they are in Wheaton, Lombard, Downers Grove, Forest Park, Hanover Park, Joliet, Kankakee, Calumet Park, Crestwood, one location in Chicago along with several south suburban locations they have had for years already. As Strack and Van Tils, they have another Chicago location and Plainfield. They took over many former Cub Food locations. Don't know why they are naming most of the Illinois locations Ultra's.
I'm sure I've seen Ultra Foods around here somewhere ... probably the one in Downers because that's where my office is. I assumed it was a Food 4 Less kind of place, and I never liked that chain in California. I'm glad we had this thread, because now I have two new stores to look at. Of course they are nowhere near one another, nor are they close to where I normally do my shopping (Route 59). LOL!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Fry's and Trader Joe's.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
how many grocery stores do you visit on a regular basis?
Lets see:

1. Local Ralphs - food staples
2. Local Trader Joes - certain veggies, almond butter, 2 buck chuck.
3. Ralphs near work - for when need to pick up a little something on the way home.
4. Whole Foods - for certain cheeses, wine, cuts of meats, teas, Udos Oil, etc.
5. Pavillions - Next to 4 year old's dance studio for whatever is needed.
6. Russian Deli - for Moscow sausage, olivier (as in Lawrence), tea, kefir, boromi, blinchiks, etc.

These are all "regular basis" visted stores.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's a Super H at the north end of town. It wouldn't be very convenient for me, but I have heard good things. I will check it out. I need another place to buy fish anyway.
You should make the trip for the following items:

Fresh shrimp
Fresh fish
Asian short ribs
Asian vegetables and fruits

And there is a heck of a food court.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I, too, am fortunate to have a TON of options within a 10 mile radius, and don't work outside the home, so I have the time and inclination to go to different markets for different items. My list:

ALDI - Do a bulk of my shopping here for staples: butter, hummus, cheeses, nuts, chips, pasta sauces, frozen fish, fruits/veggies, canned beans, European chocolates (yum!) cheap but great quality wines and specials. All GREAT quality at dirt-cheap prices.

Super Target: Mine has an AWESOME grocery selection. I buy most of my organics here along with, Alaskan crab legs, langostino, Amy's frozen organic dinners, Michaelangelo natural Italian dinners, cat food, sockeye salmon, organic beef and chicken, bacon, deli turkey, FANTASTIC BREAD (Archer Farm artisan), and many of their Archer Farm brand items (delicious!)

Publix: Used to be my main grocery before I branched out. The Publix stores where I live are awesome and have a huge selection, but pricier than Target or ALDI. I fill in what I can't get at the other stores, plus they have the BEST rotiserrie chicken I have ever tasted. Sometimes I shop their sales as well.

Farmstand: I don't go as much as I used to, but do make special trips for local, organic farm-fresh eggs, plus the best tomatoes and small pickle cukes which I love.

Fresh Market: Just an occasional trip here, mostly for special nuts and treats from their bulk bins, bread, and an occasional tenderloin.

Fish Market: I am lucky to live on the coast where a lot of fresh fish is available. I sometimes go to the market for some, but unfortunately fresh fish has become uber-expensive so I end up buying more of the cheaper frozen stuff from regular markets.

Our city will soon be getting a Trader Joe, so I imagine that will be on occasional rotation as well. I LOVE food shopping (and eating, lol!)

Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
3 on average.
1 for its meat, 1 for its pasta & eggs & 1 for the bagels, cleaning & others etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
I visit 2 regularly and ocasionally 3.

1. Harris Teeter
2. Lowe's Foods
3. Kroger

Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm sure I've seen Ultra Foods around here somewhere ... probably the one in Downers because that's where my office is. I assumed it was a Food 4 Less kind of place, and I never liked that chain in California. I'm glad we had this thread, because now I have two new stores to look at. Of course they are nowhere near one another, nor are they close to where I normally do my shopping (Route 59). LOL!
Well, when they started using that name, it was their discount brand. It isn't so much anymore, its a full service grocer now. The ones labeled Strack and Van Til's are a little more upscale then the Ultra's. They are nice stores, the Stracks by my house is being remodeled for the second time in about five years so they keep them looking good. You will probably see more of them pop up as they want to grow and will take locations from failed grocers like Cubs Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink