Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Burger King is celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Whopper with three limited time only items, available in restaurants now. The offerings will be served in commemorative retro-style anniversary packaging.

Buy Any Whopper & Get One for .55 cents 12/6 - 12/9 Burger King Celebrates 55th Anniversary & 3 New Items

Buy Any Whopper & Get One for .55 cents 12/6 - 12/9 Burger King Celebrates 55th Anniversary & 3 New Items - huffingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Not enough meat on a Whopper. Double Whopper, Triple Whopper or no Whopper at all for me.
What a crappy offer.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Burger King is celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Whopper with three limited time only items, available in restaurants now. The offerings will be served in commemorative retro-style anniversary packaging.

Buy Any Whopper & Get One for .55 cents 12/6 - 12/9 Burger King Celebrates 55th Anniversary & 3 New Items

Buy Any Whopper & Get One for .55 cents 12/6 - 12/9 Burger King Celebrates 55th Anniversary & 3 New Items - huffingtonpost.com
I'm just posting to warn everyone that the link above does -not- go to the article on the Huffington Post. It goes to a spamvertising website, that gives you a "teaser" that you have to click on, that THEN brings you to the Huffington Post. And of course, it drops a few dozen tracking cookies into your computer in the process.

I should've known better, but John's links have always been reliable in the past. Bad John, Bad!

You can see the *actual* information right here, on the burger king website (which will ALSO drop cookies into your browser but at least they're from the source, and not a third-party):

BURGER KING® - News & Press - BURGER KING® CELEBRATES THE 55th ANNIVERSARY OF THE WHOPPER® SANDWICH

Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Who here remembers when Whoppers first came out? They were huge! They were probably 2-3 times as big as they are now. They used to also have a ham and cheese sandwich called the Yumbo.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Who here remembers when Whoppers first came out? They were huge! They were probably 2-3 times as big as they are now. They used to also have a ham and cheese sandwich called the Yumbo.
They also had a fish sandwich called the Whaler. That was the best fish sandwich I remember from my childhood. We were very disappointed when McDonalds came our with filet-o-fish, not nearly as good.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Not enough meat on a Whopper. Double Whopper, Triple Whopper or no Whopper at all for me.
What a crappy offer.

So how much is enough???

Does anyone remember the brief moment last year when they were offering bacon sundaes at Burger King? That was the bizarrest thing ever.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The Yumbo was, and will continue to be, my favorite "food" at Burger King. Nothing will ever compare. You -can- get one by the way. You just have to order it by ingredients. Order this:

A ham and cheese croissant. But instead of a croissant, you want it on a Chicken Sandwich roll. And you want extra ham. You want -that- heated - and then you want to add lettuce, tomato, and mayo.***

The end result is the exact recipe for a Yumbo, and believe it or not, it'll cost you around the same. (I worked at Burger King around 5 years ago, and used to make this for myself. I paid half price which was definitely less than what I paid 30 years ago before it disappeared from the menu).

The same time they had the Yumbo, they also featured the Ice Brrgrr during the summer months. Do you remember that? Frozen lemonaid in a 2-ounce push-up cardboard package. Thoroughly disgusting but exactly perfect, at the same time.

As for the size of the Whoppers, they were bigger, but not by much. You were just younger then and in that era, we were taught to eat til we were sated, not full. So less did for you what it needed to do. These days, the media basically thrusts "fullness" on you, and "merely satisfied", isn't satisfactory anymore.

*** The exact "build" is to put the wrapper down, then lay 6 half-slices of ham down, folded in half. Put the wrapper with the open ham in the microwave and hit the 3 button. Take it out, flip it onto the bun. Halve a slice of cheese and lay each half end to end across the bun. Keep the top off. Put the bottom with the ham and cheese in the nuker on 3. Take out, smear some mayo on the top bun, add lettuce and tomato, wrap, serve.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
BK can keep the whopper and it's 55 cents LOL.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
BK can keep the whopper and it's 55 cents LOL.
I guess I'm the only one on this sub-forum eating this tonight for dinner?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
So how much is enough???

Does anyone remember the brief moment last year when they were offering bacon sundaes at Burger King? That was the bizarrest thing ever.

Bacon desserts are really popular in this area. Many of the local bakeries and sweet shops offer bacon maple cupcakes, chocolate bacon brownies, chocolate dipped bacon, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink