Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Before I got my keurig I only used Maxwell House. I had tried Chock full of nuts and did not care for it. The store brand by me was pretty good too. I now use the Keurig newman's own extra bold coffee. Dunkin donuts coffee is good too. My friend make his in one of farberware pots you plug in and it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for everyday use we get what is on sale, just like we do our wine. The goumet brands are great for guests but a decent cup of coffee depends on the coffee pot and the person making it as much as the brand in my opinion.
True...you can really destroy quality coffee beans by doing a bad job brewing them. At that point, you may as well be using store-brand preground.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
My normal coffee from DH fav. coffee place goes for average $14 -$16 a pound... run out every 2 weeks.
If we were to go cheaper (filler coffee in between for the JIC "run out")... we do folgers' gourmet at a normal $6.99 for 12 oz not on sale.
Dunkin' Donut... very rarely... only when I do gift baskets (for my family like b'days, easter, thanks giving etc.) & there is leftover bag(s).... even though one family member loooves his starbucks, "we" (DH & I) can never stomach its bitterness.

We are also particular w. our coffee makers (no cheap store brands, water not hot enough etc.))... we found we love Bunn & CuisineArt best for brewing coffee.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,651 times
I do 8 O'clock Columbian for daily coffee and it is awesome.

The regular/original 8 O'clock is nowhere close to the Columbian roast. Both whole beans and pre-ground versions are good; beans ground at home are best, obviously.

I tried Cafe Bustelo but to me it tasted like dirt. Nasty.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
even though one family member loooves his starbucks, "we" (DH & I) can never stomach its bitterness.

Starbucks is now pushing a mild roast of beans (they call it their "Blonde" series) for all the people who think their regular roast is too dark/bitter. To me, it's too weak/bland, but those who find Starbucks beans overroasted may like it.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I buy the Kroger brand when it's on sale. The other one I use daily, Yuban, might not be available in your area.

I also always have a few bags of EOC whole-bean Colombian, French, and/or Italian roast on hand.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Starbucks is now pushing a mild roast of beans (they call it their "Blonde" series) for all the people who think their regular roast is too dark/bitter. To me, it's too weak/bland, but those who find Starbucks beans overroasted may like it.
Agreed, I too think the bitterness from Starburns comes from the over-roasting.

I used to purchase Dunkin Donuts coffee beans for a less expensive alternative to may local favorite Raosterie but they too have become too high priced. At almost $12/lb my favorite coffee has just priced me out of the market.

Based on the recommendations from this thread I'll give 8'oclock Columbian a try. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
We buy Folgers, either the Columbian or regular roast. Whichever is cheaper when I need to buy it. We've tried all the gourmet brands but we always end up going back to Folgers. I do like the Starbucks Blond when I'm actually at Starbucks, but for at home, it's Folgers.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
I prefer very good, expensive flavored coffee but Green Mountain is not very popular here anymore and I can't afford the cost anyhow.

Aldi (chain) does a cheapish flavored coffee (about 4 bucks a bag) that is either hazelnut or vanilla. They had other flavors at Christmas. Not the best but better than plain or cheap store brands.

You can always add a pinch of cinnamon to regular coffee and kick it up a bit.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Community Coffee from Baton Rouge, LA

Available through their website BUT often cheaper through Amazon.com
When my son went to college there, I tried that brand and found it weak tasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink