Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Starbucks is now pushing a mild roast of beans (they call it their "Blonde" series) for all the people who think their regular roast is too dark/bitter. To me, it's too weak/bland, but those who find Starbucks beans overroasted may like it.
I love Starbucks and you are right the Blonde series does seem too weak/bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
8 o'clock for daily mundane coffee.

When I want the good stuff, I go to the local roaster and get *fresh-roasted* Sumatra Mandeling.
(They roast it once a week, the beans are green when they arrive at the roaster)
Love it. Have you tried Ethopian ?

Some like flavored, but it tastes like they added alcoholic syrup to me. True flavor comes when it emanates from thebeans in pure form. No cream or sugar, pleeeeese.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Community Coffee from Baton Rouge, LA

Available through their website BUT often cheaper through Amazon.com
Wife if from Louisiana and when we visit, everyone has Community coffee. It tastes like normal run-of-the-mill coffee to me a la Folgers or Maxwell House, but people down there swear by it.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed, I too think the bitterness from Starburns comes from the over-roasting.

I used to purchase Dunkin Donuts coffee beans for a less expensive alternative to may local favorite Raosterie but they too have become too high priced. At almost $12/lb my favorite coffee has just priced me out of the market.

Based on the recommendations from this thread I'll give 8'oclock Columbian a try. Thanks!
Roasterie is phenomenal, but, yeah, the price is annoying, even though I like buying local. I'll get it once in a while, but not regularly.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed, I too think the bitterness from Starburns comes from the over-roasting.
Actually it's called proper roasting as most coffee-drinking countries prefer to drink it. Americans are notorious for liking everything sweet or mild, so of course typically our coffee tends that direction as well. I find that most who milk and sugar their coffee tend to not like Starbucks because in the end they really do not like the flavor of real coffee. Coffee purists tend to like coffee which entails at least a medium roast and better quality beans. FYI for those looking for better quality beans at a lower price Caribou Coffee is now selling in grocery stores at a couple of dollars less per bag than Starbucks.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
In my budget days I did the Eight O'Clock or Chock Full of Nuts from the local chain.

Both were capable until finances improved.

Cannot stand the Folgers/Maxwell House. Somehow they always hurt my stomach.

I do Peetz now and love it. I do not know how economical it is compared to others $7.99-9.99 for a bag of 12oz.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
You can always try Luzianne's Coffee & Chicory - it is very strong (but the chicory does take away any bitterness). Generally, they recommend you would use only half the amount vs regular coffee for brewing . About 4.00 - 5.00 for a brick and I can make that brick last a long time.

I know its readily available in grocery stores here in the South, but other areas I'm not sure - you can order it online.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Notice the coffee peace and harmony in this thread. Nobody bashing anyone or their coffees.
It's an example of the beauty of coffee!

Does Bustelo make coffee or just espresso? I only see the espresso here in our markets. I am new to the coffee club. I have had my coffee maker for only a few months now.

I still have yet to get some that I can have the fun of grinding myself....that will be fun, too, I am sure!
Welcome to the coffee club!

Bustelo only comes as espresso. It's good for everyday, and I prepare it in a regular coffee maker, as well as an espresso maker. I keep a can of it in the refrigerator in case I run out of the coffee that I really love, which is Brazilian Santos. I buy the beans and grind them myself. Delicious!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I do 8 O'clock Columbian for daily coffee and it is awesome.

The regular/original 8 O'clock is nowhere close to the Columbian roast. Both whole beans and pre-ground versions are good; beans ground at home are best, obviously.

I tried Cafe Bustelo but to me it tasted like dirt. Nasty.
Bustelo is strong Latin-style coffee. If you like 8 O'Clock coffee, a typical American-style coffee, I'm not surprised that you wouldn't like Bustelo.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
You can always try Luzianne's Coffee & Chicory - it is very strong (but the chicory does take away any bitterness). Generally, they recommend you would use only half the amount vs regular coffee for brewing . About 4.00 - 5.00 for a brick and I can make that brick last a long time.

I know its readily available in grocery stores here in the South, but other areas I'm not sure - you can order it online.
Most Cost Plus/World Markets also carry Cafe Du Monde Coffee w/chicory. You can also order ground chicory root to add to your own ground coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink