Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Target Women: Yogurt - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
The Activia commercials started it in full force in recent years. Yogurt does have a good amt. of calcium, but the probiotics in it are good for immune functioning. I read a study, recently, that you get less colds/flus/bacterial infections and/or less virulent when you eat yogurt every day. Any yogurt with enough of the cultures is probably okay versus any designer brand.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I would say that in Canada I've noticed (could be only subjective judgement), the association between yogurt and women isn't nearly as strong as eg. some people here mention that they've "never seen a guy eat yogurt" which seems a particularly strong statement.

But enough for me to notice (eg. featuring women in the ads, depicting it as a health food that women especially would want etc.). But, in terms of actually seeing men and women consume the food itself, I don't really see it as being gendered too much because for instance, I've seen lots of people of all sorts eat yogurt at the workplace in an office lunchroom.

As well, growing up I also saw many yogurt-type beverages and snacks being marketed to kids.

I wonder too if it might even be a regional thing (for example, local markets/demographics etc.). I'm definitely aware of it though.
I'm thinking of the yoghurt ads I've seen in recently or in the past. It doesn't seem something that you see a lot of.

In the 90s I saw a lot of those Nestle Yoplaid 'petit miam' ads targeted at kids, no so much anymore. Sometimes you see those low fat yoghurt type snacks marketed towards women. But that seems to be because they are LOW FAT, which a long with say Special K seems targeted more towards women. There's also the ads for Jalna pure yoghurt which depicts a family having a picnic enjoying the yoghurt.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm thinking of the yoghurt ads I've seen in recently or in the past. It doesn't seem something that you see a lot of.

In the 90s I saw a lot of those Nestle Yoplaid 'petit miam' ads targeted at kids, no so much anymore. Sometimes you see those low fat yoghurt type snacks marketed towards women. But that seems to be because they are LOW FAT, which a long with say Special K seems targeted more towards women. There's also the ads for Jalna pure yoghurt which depicts a family having a picnic enjoying the yoghurt.
Yeah, definitely, I see the marketing/ads for the image of "low-fat, healthy" yogurt brands catering to the same crowd as for Special K cereal or low fat snack food bars etc.

I don't think I've heard of Jalna pure yogurt before, maybe it's a brand that we don't have here? I did see a ton of Yoplait ads growing up (can't recall them all but many were indeed targeted to kids).

Also don't know if this only showed in Canada, but here's a Yoplait commercial for the yogurt drink, Yop, on TV targeted to kids (and pre-teens?) sometime in the 2000s, that seems to annoy some parents. Doesn't seem especially targeted for women in particular.

Yop commercial - YouTube

Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The Activia commercials started it in full force in recent years. Yogurt does have a good amt. of calcium, but the probiotics in it are good for immune functioning. I read a study, recently, that you get less colds/flus/bacterial infections and/or less virulent when you eat yogurt every day. Any yogurt with enough of the cultures is probably okay versus any designer brand.
Yeah, I definitely think I've noticed most strongly the association of marketing to women, and yogurt from the Activia commercials. Before I noticed there wasn't really much of it (or at least based on my impression).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink