Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering when this trend started, on advertisements. I myself noticed it in particular with the Activia brand yogurt and other yogurts marketed as "health foods".

Why do marketers go for appealing to women more than men it seems when it comes to selling yogurt in ads and on TV?

Yogurt in many countries (eg. in say Greece) is just a general food that everyone eats and is not related to marketing by gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Late 1970's as I remember as part of the Diet Industrial Complex.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Is it akin to something along the lines of "real men don't eat yogurt?" perhaps~
It's probably seen as a small portion, diet food, the flavors are generally sweet and more apt to appeal to a woman. This is a generalization.
I have actually never seen a guy eat yogurt...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Good question! I have never noticed this. I havent seen a guy eat yogurt either redvelvet709!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Interesting, I have never really thought much about it, but I will say, when I was still working I didnt see many men at work that kept little yoguart cups in the fridge. I don't think I saw one. To this day, even though hubby does get it a few times of week for lunch with a sandwhich or whatever, I don't think he or any other guy in our family, would ever on their own take a container of it out of the fridge and eat it. Some foods just seem to be more guy things and some more girl things.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Yeah as I read this I also realized I never saw a guy eat yogurt so perhaps they got it right!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Good point. I recall when the adverts. featured the very active 100+/- Georgia Russians and hinted it was due to yogurt. Never mind the stamina build up from decades of working outdoors. That was for everyone.

Now it is probiotics etc. Last few years I guess. Since Jaime Lee Curtis started advertisting Activia.

I eat yogurt regularly instead of ice cream. You know mix with fresh fruit.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
1. Osteoporosis affects women more than men. Women are urged to maintain their calcium intake.
2. Yogurt is marketed as healthy food that helps with energy and weight loss.
3. Food marketing in general is geared toward women because we do most of the shopping.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
1. Osteoporosis affects women more than men. Women are urged to maintain their calcium intake.
2. Yogurt is marketed as healthy food that helps with energy and weight loss.
3. Food marketing in general is geared toward women because we do most of the shopping.
No. 3 is changing fast, was much truer in say the 80s.

As to the OP, I haven't noticed yoghurt being aimed at women in particular or associated with women here.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No. 3 is changing fast, was much truer in say the 80s.

As to the OP, I haven't noticed yoghurt being aimed at women in particular or associated with women here.
I would say that in Canada I've noticed (could be only subjective judgement), the association between yogurt and women isn't nearly as strong as eg. some people here mention that they've "never seen a guy eat yogurt" which seems a particularly strong statement.

But enough for me to notice (eg. featuring women in the ads, depicting it as a health food that women especially would want etc.). But, in terms of actually seeing men and women consume the food itself, I don't really see it as being gendered too much because for instance, I've seen lots of people of all sorts eat yogurt at the workplace in an office lunchroom.

As well, growing up I also saw many yogurt-type beverages and snacks being marketed to kids.

I wonder too if it might even be a regional thing (for example, local markets/demographics etc.). I'm definitely aware of it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink