Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Roast beef, sliced while still hot nice and thin using an electric meat slicer. That was one meal my grandfather loved to make and eat. Have not had a home cooked roast beef in 20 years.
wow, we had it just last night...I do roast about once a month.

Luzianne, We used to add corn to the goulash. As for hash, yep,we had it with the left over roast beef, I actually made it about 2 or 3 months ago, but I am guessing it was the first time in, at least 10 years, maybe longer.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It must have been in the 60's. But I would have guessed it was still in the 80's or so.
It was in the 60s and the 70s. Then, for a time, Arby's almost went under. When the made a comeback they started using the crap meat which I think is nothing but fillers. But, yes, I remember the really good meat. We loved Arby's back then.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I remember that Arby's beef cooked on a rotisserie back in the 60's. It hasn't tasted the same since, IMO.

I still love creamed chipped beef on toast. My dad, a WW II vet, referred to it as "S**t on a Raft".

Taylor Pork Roll - when sliced, fried and served in a roll, it makes a delightful, greasy delicacy called a "Smoky Burger". We had them at least twice a month at school. I don't see it where I live, though. I told my supervisor about them (I work in a school cafeteria), and she was intrigued. We couldn't get away with serving them in this day and age, though If they're not getting upset about fat, they're having issues about pork.

Something I still make all the time - hot bacon dressing. Real bacon, fried and crumbled, added to the "dressing" made out of bacon grease, eggs, sugar and vinegar - served over fresh garden endive - ummmm. Now, a lot of the people I know won't eat it because it has bacon in it (sorry, turkey bacon or "veggie strips" won't work in this). My mother makes German potato salad, using the hot bacon dressing instead of mayonnaise.
my dad, was in WW2 as well and he called it sos: sh## on a shingel, I guess about the same. The Arby's good meat was avail in the 70s as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, we had it just last night...I do roast about once a month.

Luzianne, We used to add corn to the goulash. As for hash, yep,we had it with the left over roast beef, I actually made it about 2 or 3 months ago, but I am guessing it was the first time in, at least 10 years, maybe longer.

Nita
We eat red meat maybe once a every few months and roast beef was something I never made. I do plan to make one though. If i can make brisket I can make anything LOL.
Another thing I miss is Charles's chips. We had that in NY not sure if this existed anywhere else. He was a snack peddler that came to your door selling , chips, pretzles, cookies, candies. He was expensive but my dad said we could give it a try. I think we used him for a year. When you would run out you could call and place the order and he would come in his truck and deliver it. My mom still has the potato chip tins.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i had forgotten about lamb. We used to have it every couple of weeks. I think the cost is one reason, but not the only one, for not seeing it much anymore. Yes, roasts are not as common as in the olden days, even then we always used a lot of garlic on them and still do. You are right about the other herbs though. When I was growing up herbs meant, either out of a can or garlic, salt and pepper. I use all kinds now.

I still see deviled eggs quite a bit but rarely hear anyone talk about celery and peanut butter.

Jasper, I think fondue is making a comeback or trying anyway.
When I look in old cookbooks, with a few exceptions, the recipes hardly ever have garlic. Now days, it seems like every recipe does. I saw a recipe for creamed dill weed sandwich just the other day that had SLICED garlic mixed with the dill and mayonnaise. Talk about revolting.

The only thing I put garlic in is salsa, and then only a hint of it. I would leave it out completely but the salsa just doesn't taste right without it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Wise chips were the best! We used to get them delivered to the hose in a big brown and tan tin.
Are you sure they weren't Snyder's? I remember the color turquoise blue on wise potato chips. I remember Snyders too though, but I thought they tasted like metal can.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I never get them, rain, but I think their BLT's are simply fabulous, and I can't wait to try the chicken salad sandwich.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We eat red meat maybe once a every few months and roast beef was something I never made. I do plan to make one though. If i can make brisket I can make anything LOL.
Another thing I miss is Charles's chips. We had that in NY not sure if this existed anywhere else. He was a snack peddler that came to your door selling , chips, pretzles, cookies, candies. He was expensive but my dad said we could give it a try. I think we used him for a year. When you would run out you could call and place the order and he would come in his truck and deliver it. My mom still has the potato chip tins.
I grew up in CT and we had Charles Chips too. I have vague recollections of those tins in my grandmother's house!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Green Goddess Dressing. I still haven't been able to find one that tastes like the one my Mom made back in the 70's. She used to make a fresh seafood salad to die for with it back when I was a kid. She says it is because she made her own mayo that it tasted so good but stopped when the world went bat crazy over salmonella.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Green Goddess Dressing. I still haven't been able to find one that tastes like the one my Mom made back in the 70's. She used to make a fresh seafood salad to die for with it back when I was a kid. She says it is because she made her own mayo that it tasted so good but stopped when the world went bat crazy over salmonella.

Annie's makes a dressing called Green Goddess.

The only dressing I liked as a child was Russian, I think made by Seven Seas. I never liked Green Goddess because I thought it tasted fishy, maybe it had anchovy in it? My mom and dad used Green Goddess, Russian for me and a super sweet dressing for my brothers called Western. The only way my brothers would eat salad was to drench it in
Western dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink