Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,076,355 times

Advertisements

My very old Grandma loved to use old wife's remedies. She had a few for bay leaves.

For a chest cold, boil bay leaves then dip a rag in to the bay leaf fluid, wring it out and put the boiled leaves inside the rag and place on your chest to relieve congestion, coughs, etc. I have used it....but we all know nothing much helps.....so I typically use her whiskey, lemon juice and honey old wife remedy.

Boil bay leaves and put the fluid on your dandruff ridden hair to get rid of dandruff.

Drink bay leaf tea to settle your stomach.

These are the ones I remember her telling me......she lived to be 95 so she must have been doing something right with those old wife rememdies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
I was married into a hispanic family at one time and they would take a pork roast and stab holes in the pork roast and in those holes they would place bay leaf and garlic cloves and then marinate it in lemon juice and then the would bake it and it was okay but I was not used to that kind of food since we came from an italian - Irish home and we had never had anything like that before .

Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
NOTE: Just don't forget to take them out after your dish is finished cooking. They are not edible; they're not digestible; they can get stuck in your throat; and they can make a mess of your digestive system, like eating glass.
Wow...I did not know that....that is why I love this forum. Thank you[/quote]

That might be one reason I don't use them much. When hubby was just a kid his mom fixed spaghetti and put bay leaf in it . She forgot to take the leaf out and hubby almost chocked on it. It is strange to think she would use it even though it is popular in some Italian cooking, cause she rarely used any spice except for salt and pepper.
Nita

Old 06-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,787,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I put them in my homemade spaghetti sauce.

NOTE: Just don't forget to take them out after your dish is finished cooking. They are not edible; they're not digestible; they can get stuck in your throat; and they can make a mess of your digestive system, like eating glass.
They make Old Bay Seasoning taste so good.
Old Bay Seasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I once had a friend whose wife ate sunflower seeds - whole. She said it was a great source of fiber. I coudn't believe my eyes. I kept imagining a baseball covered with fibrous spikes. I'll say no more.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
Penzey's used to make a bay leaf seasoning that was really good. It has been discontinued..sadly. I love bay leaves in soup and on fish, baked...yummy....

Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,338,034 times
Worthless food. You can't even really enjoy the meal because you have individually remove them and watch your bites. They barely add any flavor as well. One of those things (like excess garlic) that mediocre cooks become fascinated with to feel their food is more extravagant.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Worthless food. You can't even really enjoy the meal because you have individually remove them and watch your bites. They barely add any flavor as well. One of those things (like excess garlic) that mediocre cooks become fascinated with to feel their food is more extravagant.
The person who cooked the meal should know how many they put in... and remove them all before plating/serving. That's what I do when I make spaghetti sauce.

As for taste, I'm not sure how much flavor it adds. I just follow my aunt's recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink