Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Moose!! For Goodness sakes, what were you doing in those places, and why were you eating that awful stuff?

PS, You would like my rhubarb pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 AM

158 posts, read 382,691 times
I know they are supposed to be gourmet or something, but I ate some of the most disgustingly tasting french cheese. It smells horrible and that mold is awful. This happened the first time I went to France. We went into a cheese shop (the smell was a shock in itself, we could barely stop from not throwing up) and bought a piece of cheese that looked better and less moldy (is this a word?). We couldn't eat it.

Since then we got better and now we know how to choose the cheese we like; french cheese has become a favourite of ours, but we still can't stand most of the strong flavours.

When she was a kid my mom and her friends used to eat snails; they would just take them from the ground, get rid of the shell and eat them!! They were sweet, she says

Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
In Japan, cow eyes, gross! At one time, I worked for Reese Finer Foods, ate chocolate covered grasshoppers...Yummy!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Bulls testicles, seagull, kangaroo, wood pigeon, croc, snail, horse. Others I've probably forgotton.

Last edited by dave nz; 06-26-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
So what is the strangest, most odd food you've ever eaten? For me I've had caviar and it was like tasting a salt lick. I've had squid and octopus and actually liked them. However the worst ever was when my mom made cow's tongue. And then I got it for lunch the next day!!
Candied grasshopper. Raw horse meat. A fish that was still alive while we tore bits of its body off with chopsticks. Ths was all in Japan.

That's not sashimi. That's Mister Ed.

This video will give you nightmares. If you love animals...don't click this. In fact, if you can't handle seeing some serious fish cruelty, don't click this. This is pretty much exactly how ours looked like. You pick a fish from a tank, and a few minutes later, you're eating it ..... while it's still moving.

The Japanese girls is saying "Chotto Kowai" which means, "I'm a little scared."

Live Sashimi - YouTube

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Moose!! For Goodness sakes, what were you doing in those places, and why were you eating that awful stuff?

PS, You would like my rhubarb pie.
I love travelling and spent pretty much most of my younger days travelling and trekking around the world ( mostly on my own). I was also lucky to have a Diplomat Father so we moved around sometimes 2 or 3 times a year and I have lived in so many different countries I have lost count now.... My Dad was very much a disciplinarian and I was taught from babyhood to eat whatever was put on my plate and not make a fuss. I thank him for that, it made some of the awful foods I tasted a lot easier to palate !

I must admit most of what would be considered weird by a majority of Western People ( including me the first time) was suprisingly nice once I let go off my prejudices. But those I mention as horrid were pretty dismal.... I am still a pretty adventurous eater I think though being disabled means true adventures are now beyond my reach really...

Apart from Oysters though I draw the line at eating anything alive. It just seems so utterly cruel to me and pointless. It really does not take much effort to put a fish out of its misery before eating it. I love raw fish but live is one step too far for me. Oysters I suppose I never really think about ( I hardly ever eat them anyway) so I suppose I am a little hypocritical when it comes to them though.

As for rhubarb I will eat it, but it gives me no pleasure at all. Apple and Rhubarb is OK as the apple disguises the taste though...

I still would rather eat grasshoppers than marshmallows or Hershey's chocolate and I am not kidding ! Grasshoppers are basically land prawns IMO.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Moosekeeter - And you're still alive to talk about all those foods? Yikes! I am very daring but no compared to you! As for the peach and mayo salad, never heard of it and hope I never see it on a buffet table near me. Rhubarb, have lots growing in my yard and it's annoying! Bitter and bitter!

So vegimite is really a food? I thought it was just a sandwich from an old 80s song.

Why is the shark and ram "rotten"? Would make me steer quite clear from that. And as for the UK brown sauce I watch a lot of BBC and chef Ramsey so I always thought it was like the American version of gravy. Not so?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Moosekeeter - And you're still alive to talk about all those foods? Yikes! I am very daring but no compared to you! As for the peach and mayo salad, never heard of it and hope I never see it on a buffet table near me. Rhubarb, have lots growing in my yard and it's annoying! Bitter and bitter!

So vegimite is really a food? I thought it was just a sandwich from an old 80s song.

Why is the shark and ram "rotten"? Would make me steer quite clear from that. And as for the UK brown sauce I watch a lot of BBC and chef Ramsey so I always thought it was like the American version of gravy.
Not so?
Vegimite a food ? Well it depends on your definition of food but yes apparently it is quite popular with quite a few people !

The "Rotten" shark is an Icelandic delicacy. Basically you put shark in the ground for a few months , wait until it has decomposed beyond recognition and "Voila".... It smells strongly like bleach or pee and they serve it with a strong drink ( can't remember the name) a bit like schnapps. Believe me you need the booze to even contemplate eating that stuff !

The Ram's Testicles ( also Iceland) are not rotten as such but pickled in Whey ( I think ?) and turn into a stomach churning gunge of pungent gooeyness by burying them.

Both are vile beyond description. I could almost believe it was a sort of "hazing" for tourists but you can actually find it in mainstream restaurants and at food festivals so apparently Icelanders are quite strong stomached... I suppose it stems from having little available protein in winter and those two dishes were done in a way which "preserved" meat/fish and sorted out the men from the boys so to speak. I recommend neither !

Brown Sauce is a condiment which is made with malt vinegar and god knows what else and tastes a little like your socks might had they been pickled straight after you had waded through mud in a swamp . Just thinking about it makes me shudder !

Gravy to me is made using meat juices is it the same in the US ? Basically you deglaze your pan with liquid ( wine, beer etc... ) and maybe add onions to it or use a good stock made with meat bones, bouquet garni, herbs , onions etc....

As for the Peaches and Mayonnaise combo I was told by posters it is a common midwestern delight though I had it on the Washington Coast.... Horrid beyond belief and an insult to both Peaches and Mayonnaise... Brrrrrrrrrrr...

Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

71 posts, read 132,519 times
I hate goat soup,when I was very young I tried it, but never the second time.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Brown Sauce is a condiment which is made with malt vinegar and god knows what else and tastes a little like your socks might had they been pickled straight after you had waded through mud in a swamp . Just thinking about it makes me shudder !

Gravy to me is made using meat juices is it the same in the US ? Basically you deglaze your pan with liquid ( wine, beer etc... ) and maybe add onions to it or use a good stock made with meat bones, bouquet garni, herbs , onions etc....
Yes, that is true about gravy here in the US. Sadly too many people use the packets of gravy mix which is probably a lot like your brown sauce.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink