Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I was raised as a farmer's daughter. We ate every bit of the cow. I really hated kidneys and tripe and headcheese. But tongue, sweatbreads, heart, liver, etc, which most people don't eat, were really tasty. It was either eat it or starve as we were required to eat at least two bites of anything cooked for meals so nothing went to waste. We just didn't know that some of these were weird and awful foods....it was a way of life for this rural farmgirl.

Living in a rural area, shopping was about once a month, so my dad always brought us a treat when he went to the big town grocery store, about 25 miles from our house. Our treats were pickled pigs feet, pickled okra, spam, tang, cheese whiz, black licorice and sassafras to make tea. I don't like any of these today except the sassafras tea and licorice. Another weird food my dad ate was cottage cheese with maple syrup and I still eat it that way but don't especially like cottage cheese. Grampa ate white milk gravy on his pancakes.

How was cows heart served? My mother ate the heart of chickens. She boiled all the innards and ate them with salt and peeper.

She skipped the side of fava beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was the same age! The chp meat thing was disgusting - and popular! Why???

When you tried it was it good?
Yeah, suprisingly enough, it was. But, I never ate handfuls of it. It was one time, one taste. She would eat almost a pound of raw chop meat.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oh god. Milk on Jello is killing me.
I know, right? Gross on gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
they ate something called oleo.
Oleo is short for oleomargarine, which is simply ... margarine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
He also has a tendency to eat ice cream straight from the tub
What, that's not normal? LOL

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I know, right? Gross on gross.

Oleo is short for oleomargarine, which is simply ... margarine.

What, that's not normal? LOL
Yes. I know. Thank you, for telling me the correct name. My mom always told me they used to color it to make it yellow. Reminds me......they used to hold bread over a burner and toast it. It always burnt. They loved it.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM

578 posts, read 1,092,309 times
Sardine sandwiches with brown mustard and peanut butter. UGH

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My father was raised in a poor Jewish household, with a mother who was a terrible cook - so when you add up kosher (mostly) + no money + terrible cooking skills, you get a strange assortment of foods. Some of his weirder "meals" included boiled cabbage, pickles w/ sour cream, and anything with eggs and/or tuna fish. He also has a tendency to eat ice cream straight from the tub, and seems to think the calories don't count that way - LOL.

My mother also has some odd eating habits, but those are mostly due to severe allergies... she has a night-shade allergy, meaning she can't eat peppers & certain other night-growing spices. So her repertoire is rather limited, and I'd never even tried bell peppers until my adult years. Once I was on my own, I discovered that Indian & Thai foods are my favorite! Oh yeah, she also has a strange love for liver & onions. Blech.
Man, what one person conciders weird antoher considers normal: we had boiled cabbage all the time growing up, both hubby and I. As for pickles and sour cream, we never had pickles and sour cream but we always had cukes in sour cream, which is about the same thing. I have seen lots of people eat ice cream out of the carton, it is discusting but it is like drinking milk out of the carton.

Nita

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Sardine sandwiches with brown mustard and peanut butter. UGH
How does that combination not make you wanna toss your cookies?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
I learned to eat banana sandwiches from either my dad or mom. Banana and mayonnaise on white bread. My dad made his own headcheese so he could get the spices right. Nothing like opening the deep freezer outside and seeing a dead hog's head staring back at you.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My father in lawn liked to eat Capozelle, Vasteda. Capozelle is cooked lambs head and Vasteda is cow spleen. My husband is craving capozelle but I won't dare make it. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
When my mother took her coffee break from work, she'd go across the street to the drug store soda fountain, where they would make her a glass of half-half buttermilk and tomato juice.

She always grew Kohlrabi in the garden, so the munchy of choice was a chunk of raw kohlrabi dipped in salt. Similar to cabbage heart or broccoli stems which were also treated as a delicacy.

Plenty of green tomato pie was de rigeur in the spring when the garden started, and also rhubarb pie. Everybody's backyard had a rhubarb patch, as kids we'd run around all day munching on stalks of rhubarb..

My dad also put crackers or bread in his glass of milk. Must have been a guy thing. When my mother served stewed tomatoes, there waere also slices of bread broken up in it to thicken it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink