Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

El Nina, I don't eat meat any more. Re tongue, it's usually veal, and I REALLY don't eat veal....haven't touched it for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:49 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Cheese and jelly sandwiches
Cream soda and milk

I guess these things are not as weird as I thought since I notice that one or two other posters mentioned them, too. But I always thought they were kind of yucky.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
My grandparents ate Pork Brains and Scrambled Eggs. They thought it was wonderful. I still think it is disgusting.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
My dad used to eat Limburger cheese. The stench reached into the entire downstairs.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My dad to this day does this:

He takes a piece of hot water cornbread and crumbles it into a big glass of ice cold milk. That's not the really weird part - this is: Then he puts some black eyed peas in it.

Others mentioned saltines in milk - I do like that. I have no idea if this is true, but my parents have always told me that it's a great cure for insomnia. I don't know whether it is or not, but if I can't sleep, I sometimes get up and crumble a few saltines into a little juice glass and eat it...and yes, come to think of it, I do go right to sleep. Hmmmm...

My mother was the Casserole Queen. I think she would put ANY leftovers into a casserole dish, mix in some pasta, throw some cheese on top and call it good.

My parents also went through what I call a John Denver stage. Everything had to be all natural. We even had chickens and rabbits - till my soft hearted dad just couldn't bring himself to kill another chicken or rabbit. My mother loved making whole wheat pancakes - each one seemed to weigh a wet ton. I hated them - and she made them nearly EVERY SINGLE MORNING for years. She would add insult to injury by putting all sorts of fruit in the already heavy batter. When she wasn't making these, she was making HUGE BOWLS OF OATMEAL. Listen - I like oatmeal once in awhile - about a cup of it. But my mother would make these huge bowls of it - and without asking, would add raisins, chopped up apples, whatever she had on hand - and she'd set that daunting bowl that looked like a small pond in front of me and say, "Eat it all up!" OMG.

I know now that she was doing this out of love but at the time I was intent on trying to figure out how to sneak the bowl to the bathroom and chunk most of it in the toilet.

One thing my grandmother used to make for my kids was peanut butter, jelly, and BACON sandwiches. I know that may sound odd but actually, they were really good.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-14-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Bone marrow

Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Sardines--my father loved them right out of the can. To me, then esp. it was strange. Once in a while they'd eat cornmeal mush, polenta, not me I'd eat pb & j that night.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Weird foods your parents ate.

Food that didn't have to be defrosted or microwaved, food that didn't come in a can and food that wasn't delivered to the door by some guy on a bicycle.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
My grandparents ate Pork Brains and Scrambled Eggs. They thought it was wonderful. I still think it is disgusting.
Veal brain with roasted onions and scrambled eggs??? Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Bone marrow
Gosh.... yum!!! yum!!! yum!!! to that!!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My dad to this day does this:

He takes a piece of hot water cornbread and crumbles it into a big glass of ice cold milk. That's not the really weird part - this is: Then he puts some black eyed peas in it.

Others mentioned saltines in milk - I do like that. I have no idea if this is true, but my parents have always told me that it's a great cure for insomnia. I don't know whether it is or not, but if I can't sleep, I sometimes get up and crumble a few saltines into a little juice glass and eat it...and yes, come to think of it, I do go right to sleep. Hmmmm...

My mother was the Casserole Queen. I think she would put ANY leftovers into a casserole dish, mix in some pasta, throw some cheese on top and call it good.

My parents also went through what I call a John Denver stage. Everything had to be all natural. We even had chickens and rabbits - till my soft hearted dad just couldn't bring himself to kill another chicken or rabbit. My mother loved making whole wheat pancakes - each one seemed to weigh a wet ton. I hated them - and she made them nearly EVERY SINGLE MORNING for years. She would add insult to injury by putting all sorts of fruit in the already heavy batter. When she wasn't making these, she was making HUGE BOWLS OF OATMEAL. Listen - I like oatmeal once in awhile - about a cup of it. But my mother would make these huge bowls of it - and without asking, would add raisins, chopped up apples, whatever she had on hand - and she'd set that daunting bowl that looked like a small pond in front of me and say, "Eat it all up!" OMG.

I know now that she was doing this out of love but at the time I was intent on trying to figure out how to sneak the bowl to the bathroom and chunk most of it in the toilet.

One thing my grandmother used to make for my kids was peanut butter, jelly, and BACON sandwiches. I know that may sound odd but actually, they were really good.
No more a cure for insomnia than any other carb-protein combination.
Sometimes people can't sleep because they're a little hungry. Milk and crackers will work as well as anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink