Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

That's weird, we had a Steak & Ale nearby for years and years, right outside of the Northeast Philadelphia city limits, but I never went in. I had no idea it may have been any good. From outside it looked like all old people who smoked. Maybe it was just that location? Everyone getting in and out of their big Buicks and Delta 88s had white hair and a cloud of smoke around them.

That's why I also never set foot in a chain restaurant called "Inn Flight" that used to be around here. It was all older people, and I never knew why someone would go to a restaurant that served airline food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just thought of another chain I used to love but think is gone or close to it. It was aregional chain in the mid Atlantic states: Ground Round. If I have a quarter for every $10 I spent at the one in Alexandria, Va, in the 80s I would be rich right now...

Ground Round had the best Cobb Salad in the world! Yum

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Ground Round had the best Cobb Salad in the world! Yum
and they had the best and hottest buffalo wings I ever tasted...My best friend and I would stop in, after work, when hubby was traveling a couple times a week.

Nita

Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
They probably had to close Ground Round due to suits from all those people with freaky peanut allergies. There were unlimited peanuts, and people used to throw shells on the floor!

I think that was the first place I'd ever had (or heard of) potato skins.
you know I had forgotten that part. You are right. You know as much as I am just not a lover of mini fast food types, there are a few I will always think of when I look back 20 years ago...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM

146 posts, read 358,555 times
The Ground Round in our city just closed a year ago or so and I know of at least one in Minnesota that's still open.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Chi-Chi's was a favorite growing up. I loved their buffet.

Also, Ground Round. Though it really annoyed me when I couldn't eat in the bar area after the city passed their smoking ordinance. I loved that trivia arcade game!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Chi-Chi's was a favorite growing up. I loved their buffet.

Also, Ground Round. Though it really annoyed me when I couldn't eat in the bar area after the city passed their smoking ordinance. I loved that trivia arcade game!
I remember reading in a Consumer Reports years ago that had restaurant ratings about Ground Round's gimmick regarding children's prices. They had a scale that weighed the kids and they were changed "a penny a pound". Sounds Hansel and Gretelish to me!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I used to like Howard Johnson's ice cream. It was really good ice cream as I can recall.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I remember reading in a Consumer Reports years ago that had restaurant ratings about Ground Round's gimmick regarding children's prices. They had a scale that weighed the kids and they were changed "a penny a pound". Sounds Hansel and Gretelish to me!
I remember that scale! Although I was too old to qualify for the "penny a pound" my brothers were eligible. I think it was for kids 10 and under.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
The "penny a pound" promotion reminded me of another restaurant from my childhood that featured a large scale. It was a smorgasboard where the host/hostess weighed each person before seating them and then again after eating. The price of the meal was figured on the number of ounces difference between the two figures.

I think this restaurant was called Paul Bunyon, though I am not certain. I do remember that there was a giant blue ox statue in front of the building.

We went there just once, having discovered it on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink