Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,159 times

Advertisements

Top Hat Burgers was on 8Mile and Schaffer in Detroit. They were $.05 each, I think during the 60's. A lot like Whitecastles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The most authentic Mexican restaurants have Spanish-language signs on them and are in run-down strip shopping centers, like this one.

Google Maps

Also, you're the only non-Latino customer and you are afraid to speak English because the workers may not understand you!
being raised in So Ca, living 13 years in Texas and 7 in NM I have been to many of those like you are talking about. We do have them here, because surprisingly we have a very high Hispanic population due to the chicken processing plants. We have a few Mexican grocery stores as well. In fact, we go to our favorite one about once or twice a month. They speak a little English, but very little. The things we love about the store: 1-of course the selection: 2-the prices and 3- it is so clean you could almost eat off the floor.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Tops BIG BOY restaurant chain that was popular in the 1960-1970's . Used to be great for classic car /muscle car Cruise-in's and the food was not bad either.
The actually Bob's Big Boy goes back to the 40s. As a kid we ate at the original one all the time, In high school, in the 50s, it was our hangout:

Nita

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Pioneer Chicken
Tony Roma's
Boston Market (the one near me became a Chick-Fil-A)
Victoria Station
La Petite Boulangerie
Velvet Turtle
Hard to believe it took 120 comments for someone to remember Victoria Station!

I mean, that was a swank place to take a date... back when I thought Mateus was a swank wine.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The actually Bob's Big Boy goes back to the 40s. As a kid we ate at the original one all the time, In high school, in the 50s, it was our hangout:
The one in Toluca Lake, California, Store #1, where Jay Leno occasionally does Cruise Night broadcasts?

When I was living in that area years ago, around the time the Brown Derby got trashed by redevelopment, some folks tried to give that location, and particularly the Big Boy statue, historic landmark status, to keep it from ever being torn down, but it didn't qualify because it was less than 50 years old.

Big Boy was an interesting franchise, in that local operators used their own names. In Ft. Wayne it was Azar's Big Boy, because the Azar family was a big operator of local restaurants. Still is.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Has anyone mentioned Love's?

To tell you the truth, the main thing I remember about Loves' was the oily-voiced announcer on their TV commercials hyping the week's special on fried chicken dinners, or whatever.

That, and the fact that I once broke up with a girlfriend in the one on Hollywood Boulevard. I don't remember if I ordered the fried chicken dinner special or not.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I used to LOVE Little Caeser's, and thought they had closed, but then learned here on CD they still exist, but just not near me. But last week I saw in a strip mall "coming soon: Little Caeser's"!!!!
You're not missing much. They've opened a bunch up here in Ohio and the only good thing about their pizza is you can get 2 large pizzas for $10. Other than that, the pizza tastes like cardboard and is only a very, very last resort if I really, really don't feel like cooking and I don't have a lot of money to spend.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
lots of Hardees still around but I don't know about Roy Rogers. We loved them when we lived in Alex, VA. We loved to put our own condiments on the burgers. I think they are gone now, but I am not sure. We don't have either around here.
I know their still around, but I don't see them (Hardees) much in Ohio anymore. There used to be all kinds of Hardees around here. Now that I think about it, I never even see any commercials for them anymore, either. The only time I ever see a Hardees restaurant is when I travel down South. They still seem to be pretty prevelant down there. Have they closed a lot of their restaurants to where their not as widespread as they used to be?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The one in Toluca Lake, California, Store #1, where Jay Leno occasionally does Cruise Night broadcasts?

When I was living in that area years ago, around the time the Brown Derby got trashed by redevelopment, some folks tried to give that location, and particularly the Big Boy statue, historic landmark status, to keep it from ever being torn down, but it didn't qualify because it was less than 50 years old.

Big Boy was an interesting franchise, in that local operators used their own names. In Ft. Wayne it was Azar's Big Boy, because the Azar family was a big operator of local restaurants. Still is.
the actually original Bob's was on Colo Blvd in Glendale and had about a dozen seats. The first Drive in was in Burbank on San Fernando Rd. We used to go to both. My dad was in the Navy and over seas.Every Sunday mom would take my sister and I to the afternoon movies and then to Bob's. Or usually Bobs. Sometimes we would go somewhere else.

You mentioned Loves, I had forgotten about them, as well. And yes, the Cobb salad, of course originated at the Brown Derby. I am not sure I even ate there, but I know my dad and mom did.

Nita

Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
They've opened a bunch up here in Ohio and the only good thing about their pizza is you can get 2 large pizzas for $10. Other than that, the pizza tastes like cardboard and is only a very, very last resort if I really, really don't feel like cooking and I don't have a lot of money to spend.
Yeah, nothing spells success like a restaurant where the food is terrible, but you get a lot of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink