Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

My go-to meal is grilled cheese & ham sandwiches with tomato soup.

I fix it regardless of the weather. I remember my mother fixing it in the Kansas winters or if I was sick.

It's my major comfort food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Chicken tenders using Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Pan fried, easy as can be, and kids will eat them. Quesadillas too, using grocery rotisserie chickens. Kids generally like crunchy stuff like that. Without vegetables on the side I do fruit for dessert, just sauteed with brown sugar or honey and spices. It's like apple pie without the crust hassle.

I usually have hamburger so cheeseburgers are always an option, but they're really more work than more simple dishes because I season the burger and mince onion and all that. Trader Joe's has pizza dough and with pepperoni, cheese, and a simple tomato sauce you can make stromboli.

This is all presuming I know a kid's coming over and I can plan. Otherwise, it's what I'm eating and the kid can certainly pick out stuff he doesn't like. But I'm not making a separate meal.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
When my kids were young it was any kind of soup/sandwhich combo. For me personally it's pasta or scrambled eggs. When it's super hot and I don't want to heat anything I just eat a bunch of fruit.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
My go-to meal is grilled cheese & ham sandwiches with tomato soup.

I fix it regardless of the weather. I remember my mother fixing it in the Kansas winters or if I was sick.

It's my major comfort food.
I don't think of it as a go-to but more as lunch. Either way it is yummy~~~We had a friend and neighbor when we hadn't been married very long. They had 5 kids, very little money and were staunch, Catholics. Obviously every Friday was NO MEAT. One of her favorite and I loved it was tomato, macaronni soup: it was nothing more than a can of tomato juice, elbow macarroni, diced onions and a little cheese on top. I know, today we would be tempted to add basil, other herbs, maybe canned tomatoes, who knows, but hers was simple, tasty, cheap and her kids loved it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we use our toaster oven most of the time as well. Luckily ours is oversized. It is yucky looking cause I use it so much, I can't get all the junk off the glass, etc but I know it is basically clean and it has becomre my favorite kitehen friend...

nita
We use ours most of the time, too, and it looks like it. In fact, we bought a new stove last summer, and I have never used the oven. An over-sized toaster oven cooks everything! We are now in the process of having our kitchen remodeled and I am trying to find a place for my huge and well-used toaster oven. It isn't pretty any more!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I always keep boxes of mac n cheese in the cupboard in case I don't feel like doing an extravagant dinner. Maybe only eat a box once a month or so. I don't care that it's processed or unhealthy, it's quick and delicious. I'll still eat it when I'm old and gray

Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Peanut butter and jelly. Nobody minds.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We use ours most of the time, too, and it looks like it. In fact, we bought a new stove last summer, and I have never used the oven. An over-sized toaster oven cooks everything! We are now in the process of having our kitchen remodeled and I am trying to find a place for my huge and well-used toaster oven. It isn't pretty any more!
Maybe the laundry room? I was looking at mine last night as I took one piece out to put another in: OMG I just cleaned it about a month ago and it is filthy..I do completely clean it almost every time I use it, but the poor thing just can't stay clean, kinda like a little boy and mud, they can't stay clean either.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
What is the advantage of using an oven-sized toaster oven rather than the oven itself?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Make your own spaghetti sauce like this:

A can of tomato paste, and a can of water in the blender. Toss in a couple of cut up onions, green peppers and a stalk of celery, and a few cloves of garlic, maybe some green olives if you like, and a couple of uncooked strips of bacon. Blend it good. (Bell peppers are usually too expensive, use poblanos.) If you want mushrooms, add them after blending.

Boil it covered long enough to defeat the raw veggie flavor, adding your cayenne and Italian spices of choice. Make the kids promise not to tell anyone that they saw you throw in a dash of red wine a few minutes before the end of cooking time. They'll love it, and never suspect that they are getting all veggies, no sugar, and only the salt that you add yourself.

Never buy Ragu again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink