Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

It gets me going that our grill companies do not make an entire replacement part kits for our gas grills. It is hard even to find all of the parts – even on that particular company's website. Then, when you add up your total bill; it would cost us more for the parts than the whole grill new. It looks as if most manufacturers are just about as bad – the parts are expensive and hard to find. The outside stainless steel exterior are still in great shape – but we still have to scrap the whole thing.

Is anybody else frustrated? With us it is usually everything that has to be replaced – grills, flame protectors, burners, electric ignitor and sometimes the drip pan. You would think that somebody could manufacture these parts for half or less the cost of the whole grill. Maybe another company could even make a business out of refurbishing old grills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I agree! I loved my grill, but cannot find replacement parts...and after 6 years, the burners need replacing, but it's impossible. Why can't they make parts that don't corrode and rust???? The outside is perfect..the inside is crap!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I agree! I loved my grill, but cannot find replacement parts...and after 6 years, the burners need replacing, but it's impossible. Why can't they make parts that don't corrode and rust???? The outside is perfect..the inside is crap!
It really bothers me that they don't even sell burners four at a time for my four burner grill. I could understand not selling the side burner as part of the 'kit'. By the way; our grill is about six years old and we really liked it. Now we can use only one side – we robbed Peter to pay Paul. Yes; I could buy just enough parts to replace the ones that have disintegrated. However; all of the internal guts should be replaced. It is only a matter of time until the remaining parts are unusable. Once I add up the price of all the individual parts and shipping; I am approaching $200. For that price, at this time of the year, you can buy a pretty good replacement grill and you don't have to worry if you can get all of the parts.

It just seems like such a waste to be forced into another new grill.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
When our grill was about three or four years old it needed some new parts. We were lucky to be able to buy them online for a reasonable price. It was a real pain in the neck to install those parts. When this nine year old beast kicks, I'm not going to replace it. I have a Weber charcoal grill in the garage and a fire pit in the yard. If somebody wants to eat food that's been cooked over a fire, they can go and start a fire.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When our grill was about three or four years old it needed some new parts. We were lucky to be able to buy them online for a reasonable price. It was a real pain in the neck to install those parts. When this nine year old beast kicks, I'm not going to replace it. I have a Weber charcoal grill in the garage and a fire pit in the yard. If somebody wants to eat food that's been cooked over a fire, they can go and start a fire.
Even online, at the companies website, a full part's list does not pop up. Even if it did; it would be still cheaper just to buy a new one. It just seems like such a waste not to be able to fix these grills reasonably.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Even online, at the companies website, a full part's list does not pop up. Even if it did; it would be still cheaper just to buy a new one. It just seems like such a waste not to be able to fix these grills reasonably.
Yup throw away culture.

You can get some really good used ones at flea markets.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yup throw away culture.

You can get some really good used ones at flea markets.
I don't want somebody's problems. I like my grill. I just want to fix it for the right price. Maybe I’m just too sentimental – I remember some of the great meals prepared off the old grill. I'm a stick in the mud – I don't want to change. I also don't like the idea of loading the old one up and hauling it to the scrap yard – then assembling the new one. It's hard to say goodby!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is a waste. I don't even want to buy new stuff for that reason.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,450 times
I haven't even checked the price of the replacement part I need.

Whatever that piece of metal that goes over the flame is completely corroded. And I need three new sets of grill grates.

Those parts will definitely cost more than I want to pay for a grill that was purchased for a couple hundred bucks about 8 years ago!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I haven't even checked the price of the replacement part I need.

Whatever that piece of metal that goes over the flame is completely corroded. And I need three new sets of grill grates.

Those parts will definitely cost more than I want to pay for a grill that was purchased for a couple hundred bucks about 8 years ago!
I just don't like how they don't sell packages of four; for four burner grills. If you go to Lowes you can easily find replacement heat shields: Shop Heavy Duty BBQ Parts Heat Plate at Lowes.com However; it looks like you would be buying one at a time for anywhere from $23 to $33 each.

When you start adding up all the parts you need; you could be cheaper with buying a new grill. Usually when one part goes; the others will go soon after. You are better off replacing all the heat shields or both of the cast iron cooking grills or all of the burners or supports.

In the grand scheme of things it is planned obsolescence. It is just that it leaves the consumer with a bitter taste for that particular manufacturer. Although I do not think there is too much difference between the companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink