Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,491,377 times

Advertisements

I went shopping Wednesday and stopped by Sam's on my way home. I bought 10 pounds of raw potatoes and a bunch of bananas. Together this was just $5.00. It made me realize that most of our grocery money is spent on processed or non foods. Go natural and save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM

543 posts, read 2,299,887 times
We eat alot more meals made with ground beef. All summer we smoked briskets and ate all week. I make the boys drink more juice and kool aid and quit buying pop, also cut them down to 1 glass of milk at breakfast and 1 at dinner. We were going through 5 gallons of milk a week. I go to Sam's and Costco and buy in bulk every 2 weeks, cases of canned vegetables and fruits. Don't know if I really save that much except it has cut down on trips to the store for 1 or 2 things when I fix dinner and realize I don't have certain items for what I am making. I buy the bagged cereal for the boys too, believe it or not they have said it is better than the name brands.A friend works for a food company that supplies the stores with Keebler products and gets 7 free items per week and he gives us boxes of crackers and the kids will eat those instead of me keeping chips in the house when they are on a feeding frenzy.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,569,605 times
Sometimes I feel like I have 3 growing boys in the house, except that it's only three of us. My husband eats like there is NO tomorrow and it drives me nuts. There's rarely any leftovers and it seems like we are cooking a meal every single day. I told him that his eating habits are going to force us into bankruptcy

I'll be going grocery shopping this weekend and will take some of the advice that you all gave on here, in terms of freezing portions of various food/meats, etc. Maybe if I put him on a portion restriction, think food will last??? LOL

Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,363,661 times
to keep your potatoes longer store them with the apples in your crsper in a seprate bin.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,986,028 times
I really have noticed a jump lately - especially in fresh fruit - $7 for a watermelon, $5 for a tiny pineapple - meat and poultry is outrageously priced here in so. California. I'm doing my best to shop wisely.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
I don't know quite how it works, how organized (or not) all of the major grocery stores are with pricing (or price-fixing ), but I noticed a huge jump on Tuesday, and the bakery lady told me that everything in the store had gone up the day before.

My husband has been stopping at a Pepperidge Farm outlet store on the way home from work. It's very cheap.
Sometimes the bread is a little dry, but not too bad, and I do love my wheat bread (and he loves his cookies.)

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,334,399 times
We've cut back on foods that have been processed - lettuce in a bag, broccoli florets, baked goods - and we're making more of our own. We prepare dinner together in the kitchen and even give our 2 1/2 year old a task or two so we're all contributing something to the meal. The most expensive part about baking cookies and muffins at home is the price of butter. The other ingredients are really cheap, but we buy butter and milk at Costco for about half the price that we can get it in the grocery stores. We'll make our own popcorn for snacks instead of buying chips. We just make a big batch, flavor it, and store it in big ziplocs. Kettle corn is really cheap to make at home.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,006,869 times
We moved from suburban NY to Vermont. I thought the produce would be cheaper due to all the farms...not! Food here is as expensive as on Long Island and the pay can be way lower depending on your job.

What do I do? How have we changed? Well, not much considering we have been here only a month. I usually only go to the supermarket once a week. We just spend a decent amount, plan out meals (my son and husband do not eat meat--we have a lot of repetitive meals). I make a meat meal a few times a week for myself and stretch it into 2 or leftovers.

I am one who PREFERS bagged cut up lettuce. We rarely waste it and it's all ready to eat for lunch or with dinner. If I get a head it just sits there..

We only buy a half a gallon of milk for cooking and tea. My son and husband prefer soymilk.

I have noticed a big jump in dairy products (we eat a lot of yogurt and cheese.) I used to be able to get a nice lb. of mozarella cheese for less than 3 dollars...now it's up to 5...crazy.

I'll use coupons when I can. Once I get a job I am not worrying about food and just buying what we need/want as long as it is not a ripoff. I also plan on hitting a few outlets or whatever is here (hubby has no interest in these places.. )

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,334,839 times
We have cut down a lot. We no longer buy meat but we do buy seafood. We buy as much produce as possible - no processed foods. Even with this, our grocery bill is ridiculous for two people.

I buy all of our paper products on sale.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM

859 posts, read 3,313,514 times
I usually just shop at Shop Rite....I only go to places like Wegman's or Whole Foods to eat lunch out, I don't see a reason to buy groceries there.

I think Shop Rite has good prices. I definately am not a coupon kinda girl,I am way too lazy, but just with the price plus card and general store sales I feel like I get good deals. There is always soda on sale 4 or 5 packs for $10. I get whatever Ice Cream is on sale (that is the one thing I do notice seems to go up every year for some silly reason). It seems like ice cream is $5 now so I will get whatever brand is on sale for $2.49.

I haven't noticed chicken increasing since I buy over priced chicken on purpose lol. I am not big on cooking and buy the cutlets that are entirely clean so they have always been expensive.

I like to look for sales on paper products. They always have really cheap tissues I get like 3 or 4 boxes for $3, my mom won't allow us to have cheap toilet paper b/c she needs her brand.

I won't lie though, when it comes to stuff I really like: hummus, certain other little snacks, energy drinks...I HAVE TO have my brand and take it even if a different brand is on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink