Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times

Advertisements

I roasted a chicken last night (one day I will get the blasted thing rightside up), and my husband is making chicken soup from the leftovers right now. It is cool out, and soup is sounding really good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,980 times
Evey, actually I always roast chicken upside down. It keeps the breast meat moist. I just turn it for the last 30 mins. to brown the top. I bet it was very good.
Enjoy your soup. Don't you just love those nights you don't have to cook?

Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Evey, actually I always roast chicken upside down. It keeps the breast meat moist. I just turn it for the last 30 mins. to brown the top. I bet it was very good.
Enjoy your soup. Don't you just love those nights you don't have to cook?
Well, I feel better about it now. I am learning to cook. I don't seem to have trouble with a turkey, but these blasted chickens get me every time!

My husband actually likes to cook. He makes quite a mess in the kitchen....

Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 AM

421 posts, read 469,004 times
For a really delicious chicken dish that family and friends will lick thier plates try my fav...Sicilian Lemon Chicken..
for 4 ppl use 3 chicken breasts..cut up in small chunks, lay in casserole dish or flat pot...cut up a big yellow onion and put ontop of chicken. In a bowl mix, one cup water, half cup of lemon juice, one cup extra virgin olive oil, cover the top with basil and oregena, mix it up and pour on the chicken...cover. Bake at 350 for 2 and a half hrs...make rice when chicken is almost done...put rice on plate and cover with the chicken mix...make a big tossed salad and some butter rolls...it is cheap and fat and cholest free!!!! It is especially good for large gatherings.. just double the onion and sauce...you will not believe how good it is..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
evey, like you, i could eat steak every night. i love porterhouse also, and it is wise to stock up when on sale,i do have a suggestion, a porterhouse steak, comes from what they call a "short-loin" (ave, 20-22 lbs) consists of porterhouse and t-bone steaks (porterhouse is similar to a tbone but has a larger tenderloin on it) also, a porterhouse steak, actually is a strip steak(on one side of the bone) and tenderloin on the other.

my suggestion is...a non-chain grocery store or local meat market, (or call) and ask them, what's the best price you can give me on a whole short loin?"
(independents have price flexibility, chain stores dont)
you may be surprised at what a good deal they will give you. most meat departments, strive for 25-30% margins, from retail sales, however, a "wholesale" bulk sale, they may strive for 10 or 15% MARGIN..no shrink, and its a good ring. this also applies to a whole rib-eye, strip sirloin, etc
the porterhouse steaks around here, are 8.99 retail, and i bought a whole short loin from a butcher at a local store for 4.79lb, and it was extra trim, very little waste.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 83,858 times
i will have to brag a little,i am an incredible cook!my speciality is indian food.
today i made tandoori bbq chicken(chicken pieces soaked and marinaded in ground ginger,garlic,many other spices and seasonings)grilled to prefection,and i made rice puloo(rice cooked with cinnimon sticks,little mixed vegs.fried onion)and the most famous cilantro chutney(yogart,cilantro,salt,3-4 green hot chili peppers grind up into a paste and mix with a little water,and salad on the side.i can make anything indian!i have been cooking it for about 10 yrs now.i have some incredible recipes,if anybody wants any,just write me back.i also have southern roots,so i can make any southern food!!i can also make chinese,irish,lebonese,and spanish food from scratch!!i owe all my start and love of cooking from my irish grandmother(god rest her soul)she was an most wonderful cook and person.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM

278 posts, read 802,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
For a really delicious chicken dish that family and friends will lick thier plates try my fav...Sicilian Lemon Chicken..
for 4 ppl use 3 chicken breasts..cut up in small chunks, lay in casserole dish or flat pot...cut up a big yellow onion and put ontop of chicken. In a bowl mix, one cup water, half cup of lemon juice, one cup extra virgin olive oil, cover the top with basil and oregena, mix it up and pour on the chicken...cover. Bake at 350 for 2 and a half hrs...make rice when chicken is almost done...put rice on plate and cover with the chicken mix...make a big tossed salad and some butter rolls...it is cheap and fat and cholest free!!!! It is especially good for large gatherings.. just double the onion and sauce...you will not believe how good it is..
I tried this recipe and added a few more fresh herbs (rosemary, basil) and it was delicious! Even the kids loved it-Thanks Rainbowwaves.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM

464 posts, read 752,971 times
I made the Sicilian Lemon Chicken also, very yummy ! I did omit the oregeno and used fresh rosemary and fresh basil. Really, Really good. Thanks for sharing.

T

Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 PM

585 posts, read 614,060 times
My mom could cook when she had time, but she worked and we got introduced to TV dinners early in life. Except on Sunday and we would get the treat of her knowledge.

It is currently 80 degrees and calling for colder weather tonight and freezing weather over the weekend.

Tonight I plan to cook fried pork chops, fried squash, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, green lima beans and homemade biscuits. Yeah, I'm Southern and everything taste better fried! Yum Yum!

We will eat out tomorrow, nephew has youth baseball game. And Thursday we will have BBQ sandwiches with, of course, French Fries

But since cold weather is coming in, I have already started planning some good old Vegetable Soup with homemade corn bread for the weekend.

My biggest problem is getting my 14 yr old to appreciate a true meal that is not sandwiches or pizza! Hopefully one day he to will grow up and appreciate the fact that his mother would and could cook!

Last edited by simplyaged; 04-03-2007 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: left out the gravy!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,402 times
Default Culinary Arts Online & Pastry Chef Training

Hi one and all,
I have gone through this forum, this is very interesting about culinary arts.
for more info http://www.culinaryartsonline.com/pastry-chef-patisserie.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink