Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,916,880 times

Advertisements

I haven't found anything about this on the Health Board, so I'm starting a thread here. Seems like Soy is in everything nowadays! How can someone reasonably manage a soy allergy? What's left to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,625,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I haven't found anything about this on the Health Board, so I'm starting a thread here. Seems like Soy is in everything nowadays! How can someone reasonably manage a soy allergy? What's left to eat?
Things that aren't pre-packaged (factory-processed) won't have soy in them. Fresh fruits, vegetables, butcher-cut meats, fish - none of this has soy. And of course, things caled "meat analogues" are primarily soy-based.

You'll find soy protein in some deli meats, food that comes in boxes (such as Hamburger Helper), things that have "seasonings" in the ingredients list. Some breads contain soy too but not most of them.

Basically, if you don't want to have to micromanage every morsel you put to your lips, you'll want to look into a modified whole foods diet. You can cook foods, and have breads and other baked goods, but you'd have to make them from scratch or buy them from an actual bakery instead of the supermarket shelf. You'd have to give up on deli meats entirely - nothing containing fillers.

It's less convenient than buying some random microwaveable meal from the frozen section, but it's actually more likely to be more nutritious, and tasty. You can buy plenty of normal pasta, but make your own marinara sauce and freeze the sauce in meal-sized portions. Then when it's supper time, take out one portion, thaw it in the microwave, make your meatballs, and voila - one filling, nutritious, delicious main course. Add a salad and you have a meal.

Soy is really only common in packaged foods from the freezer aisle, the deli, and the boxed "groceries" section of the store. Most hotdogs are no longer an option, but hamburgers are A-OK.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM

That's interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm seeing my allergist Tuesday.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,487,514 times
My husband is allergic to soy......it's the pits because it's practically in everything in one form or another.....tofu, soy flour, soybean oil....soy, soy, soy. You learn to read labels.....it takes a lot of time in grocery stores. Heck, it's even in canned tuna. (It's not in Costco/Kirkland brand white albacore though, so I buy that). Even most tortillas have soy oil in them.....there is one brand that I buy, but it's raw and I have to put it on a griddle. Grocery shopping takes me forever.....don't even get me started on reading bread packages...... Stay away from Chinese food.

When you have the time, cook fresh foods......

Good luck......it's not easy.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM

289 posts, read 173,898 times
How about milk, eggs, meat, poultry, wheat, rice, fruits, vegetables?!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
How about milk, eggs, meat, poultry, wheat, rice, fruits, vegetables?!
Cute...a smack to the forehead. Thanks for your enlightening input but it's not as simple as you make it out to seem. That's why I'm here- asking the question.

First, I stopped drinking milk years ago. So we'll take that off the list. Next, I just recently developed a soy allergy so finding out which foods are safe to eat is new to me. Third, soy is often 'hidden' in foods- I just have to be mindful when I read labels so that I can recognize where to find it:

•Bean curd
•Bean sprouts
•Edamame (fresh soybeans)
•Kinako
•Miso (fermented soybean paste)
•Natto
•Nimame
•Okara
•Shoyu
•Soy sauce
•Soya
•Soybean (curds, granules)
•Tamari
•Tempeh
•Tofu (dofu, kori-dofu)
•Yuba

At one point in time, I had no idea that the Miso soup I'd been eating for lunch was making me horribly ill for what was in it. That's when I discovered I had this allergy to begin with. I was even more surprised to find out a Digiorno's pizza has soy in it. I recently purchased a packaged raw chicken breast with soy content in the liquid. My thinking had always been that I was more likely to find it in mixed greens and fresher foods. It's a learning process for me so I appreciate all the (non sarcastic) responses I can get on the subject.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM

And then there are the labels that say something like: one of the following has been used in this product, yadda, yadda...(one of them will be soybean oil so you can't buy it because it might be the one used during the process)....sigh....

And there were a lot of allergies in Mr. City's list, too...he is just missing 'nuts'....LOL.....sigh.....

Both my husband and daughter have allergies......it used to be that they gave you @ 16 tiny shots in the back and then you saw which ones turned red or swelled.....now they do bloodwork.

Yep, Miso soup is bad......Chinese, Japanese, etc.....lots of soy sauce.......tofu.......and people eat those edameme's for snacks, (dried, salted), hor deuvres, etc....I never have those in my house....

Good luck! (No smacking here.....I live with it every day.....my husband stuffs up and can barely breathe at times.....)

Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM

P.S. I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but watch out for protein drinks and bars, too. Even if it has soy lecithin in it my husband stuffs up.....I think I was told that it's used a a binding agent.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
P.S. I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but watch out for protein drinks and bars, too. Even if it has soy lecithin in it my husband stuffs up.....I think I was told that it's used a a binding agent.
Yes thanks for your response (both you and Anon Chick). This was something I developed as an adult. I had never had food allergies before this so I wasn't sure what was happening. My gen prac. wasn't clear on it so he referred me to an allergist. I ended up moving shortly after that and never followed up until several months later. I have a new dr. that I will see next week so at least I'll get his input.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,261,164 times
Yes, it is nearly ubiquitous, since soy is used as a filler and binder and emulsifier in so many products. And it's easy to overlook places it can be that you do not expect.

For example, I just looked at the label for the "Dry Roast Peanuts - Unsalted" that I'm munching on as I write this, and it says:
Allergen statement: Contains peanuts

May contain: Cashews, Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Filberts, Pecans, Pistachios, Macadamia Nuts, Walnuts, Soy (Soybeans), Milk, Wheat.
What? Why? Well, because that company processes all kinds of different snack products on that packaging line, so they're required to list all the different known allergens which potentially could contaminate these plain, unadorned peanuts. And if you have a severe soy allergy, you shouldn't risk it.

So as has been mentioned before, you're going to have to concentrate on preparing fresh food from scratch, and eliminate nearly all processed foods from your diet. Estimates I've seen on the percentage of the items in a supermarket that contain soy run 60% - 70% - 75%. You'll need to read the labels on everything.

As awful as that sounds, it can be done. And with today's information technology, labeling standards, and the variety of fresh produce available all year round, it's easier to do today than it was a generation ago.

I recommend you join an online group dedicated to the issue, and maybe look for a Meetup group in your area. Being in a community of mutual support can help a lot.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink