Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you put meat in your spaghetti sauce?
Yes - Ground beef 36 60.00%
Yes - Ground pork 1 1.67%
Yes - Ground chicken 0 0%
Yes - Ground turkey 2 3.33%
Yes - Some other type of meat 4 6.67%
Not in the sauce, but I put meat/bacon/pancetta/etc. in the final dish 4 6.67%
No - Just plain spaghetti sauce or sauce with some extra veggies. 13 21.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 PM

20,821 posts, read 28,141,533 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever to a red Seafood sauce? Adding things like lobster or crab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,769,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Anyone ever to a red Seafood sauce? Adding things like lobster or crab?
Yeah it's freakin' amazing. My friend's mom makes it with lobster meat...soooooo good. She uses penne pasta.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,394,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
More than likely you were eating raw hamburger. So unhealthy. Didn't anybody ever tell her what she was doing was wrong?
Nope, that was how she always made it and she still makes it that way.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,179,214 times
I make my own sauce, (in large batches and freeze it in portions), and never put meat into it.That way if I want to use it for something meatless or a fish dish, it doesn't have meat in it. (Sometimes I'll even add a can of tuna to sauce for a meal over pasta. I don't think that would taste good if it also had meat in it.) However, I usually make a separate pot of meatballs in sauce at the same time, which I also divide up and freeze. (Homemade, raw meatballs, cooked in the sauce.) Sometimes I'll add meat to the sauce the meatballs cook in (i.e. sausage), other times not.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,369,807 times
Sure do, I use a combo of ground chuck, pork sausage and sometimes ground turkey to make meatballs and little granulated onion and garlic.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,382,898 times
Always ground beef, always mushrooms, always veggies, and sometimes italian sausage. I've also done the true Italian Grandma style with other meats in there, but I really like the ground beef best. Lots of it.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,951,608 times
Depends. On meatless Mondays, if I do spaghetti, I obviously don't. But if I do 'spaghetti' on other days, I do add ground beef. I call it 'spaghetti bolognese' though. This could be the wrong term completely, but that's how I distinguish it in my head! haha

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,221,426 times
I have a large pot of gravy (red sauce) on the stove right now. 6 lbs crushed, Imported tomatoes, pork/veal/beef meatballs (fried first), hot & sweet Italian sausage, pork Brachole, & fresh pork bones. Lots of fresh basil, garlic, & onion. When the plum tomatoes are ripe in August I will be making my gravy (sauce) with them. Nothing beats Jersey tomatoes & wish I was there to pick up a bushel or two.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
I will occasionally brown some bulk Italian sausage and add that to sauce, but mostly, I prefer marinara sans meat of any kind mixed in. I do not ever do ground beef in spaghetti sauce. It was my mom's default (pretty standard of rural farm wives not particularly schooled in what constitutes Italian or Italian-American style cuisine), but I never liked it. Esp. since it was more meat than marinara. Most farmers put their feet down at an entree not being super meat-heavy, so I'm sure that plays a role.

Re: "Gravy" = pasta sauce...that was new to me, until living with an Italian-American man hailing from NY. Even he notes that the term is fairly old school, even among NY/NJ Italian-Americans...his read is that it's kind of stereotypical, working class terminology that is getting pretty watered down in many circles. Whereas his grandparents said it, none of his generation really does. He laughed the first time I asked him about it, and wanted to know where I, an Irish-German farm kid from the midwest, had ever even heard it.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,382,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I will occasionally brown some bulk Italian sausage and add that to sauce, but mostly, I prefer marinara sans meat of any kind mixed in. I do not ever do ground beef in spaghetti sauce. It was my mom's default (pretty standard of rural farm wives not particularly schooled in what constitutes Italian or Italian-American style cuisine), but I never liked it. Esp. since it was more meat than marinara. Most farmers put their feet down at an entree not being super meat-heavy, so I'm sure that plays a role.

Re: "Gravy" = pasta sauce...that was new to me, until living with an Italian-American man hailing from NY. Even he notes that the term is fairly old school, even among NY/NJ Italian-Americans...his read is that it's kind of stereotypical, working class terminology that is getting pretty watered down in many circles. Whereas his grandparents said it, none of his generation really does. He laughed the first time I asked him about it, and wanted to know where I, an Irish-German farm kid from the midwest, had ever even heard it.
To me spaghetti sauce or gravy ( I learned gravy on this forum!! ) is a heavy meaty sauce with a tomato base, and marinara is a thinner, lighter meatless sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink