Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My grandmother's meatloaf. She was, for all intents and purposes, an excellent Southern cook. But her meatloaf, made without onion or any spices because of my grandfather's ulcer, was horrible. To add insult to injury, there was a cooked whole egg in the middle, for some strange reason.
I recall seeing a recipe that did that. It just seemed too gross to even attempt.

I've had some bad food, but the worst I can really recall was many years ago when some friends invited us over for a cookout. Several of the guys had been out dove hunting and that was the main course. I'd never had dove before, but everyone kept telling me how great it was so I thought, "what the heck". They prepared it by placing fresh jalapeno slices on it and wrapping it in bacon. Looked okay to me. So they put them on the grill, and everyone was just building up how delicious this would be. I got mine and set down to give it a try. Now by this time it was starting to get dark, so it was hard to see exactly what I was about to eat. I cut into it and put the bite in my mouth. I thought I was going to throw up right there. The texture was so soft and almost slimy feeling. My gag reflexes kicked in and it was all I could do to not throw up in my plate. I didn't take another bite. Everyone was just raving about how wonderful it was, and i just kept wondering what the heck was wrong with these people. After everyone was finished, my husband took our plates to the house throw them away. He came back laughing his head off. Apparently, the piece I got had been on the far edge of grill away from the fire, and was still completely raw!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
My MIL was a southern lady and everyone KNOWS those women can cook, right? Wrong!!!! OMG, that woman couldn't open a can right, and it went downhill from there. I don't know how she and her family survived. I think if my FIL hadn't cooked they would have all died of starvation. That's why my H was painfully thin when we got married. He was 6'3" and weighed 143lbs.... When he went in the military he had a special diet to gain weight! And they lived in the middle of nowhere so you couldn't just run out for a burger.

OK, the worst meal I ever had. We had just driven 6 hours to visit H's parents. We got in late and MIL had 'dinner' ready. It was some kind of stew. It was inedible. I took a bite and looked at H. He grimaced and we proceeded to push the stew around in the plate without actually EATING it. Finally MIL went into her room to change and we seized the moment and gave the stew to the dog.

THE DOG WOULDN'T EAT IT! And this was a ranch dog that would eat anything... I had H keep his mom busy for a few minutes while I went outside and chunked the stew in the pasture. I don't know what she put in that stuff but it was surely awful.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Judging from my collection of old cookbooks, that whole egg in the middle of meatloaf was popular back in the 60's.
She made it that way for my dad and aunt when they were kids, and they were born in the early twenties.

P.S. They didn't like her meat loaf either.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Judging from my collection of old cookbooks, that whole egg in the middle of meatloaf was popular back in the 60's.

Apparently you had to center a whole hard cooked egg in the exact middle of the raw meat mixture. Or if the cook wanted to get really fancy she would place several eggs inside so that every slice of meatloaf would contain hard cooked egg. Brilliant.
Seen something similiar in a food mag recently, 'cept it was chorizo.
Mr. John's Meatloaf - Martha Stewart Recipes

Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Finally MIL went into her room to change and we seized the moment and gave the stew to the dog.

THE DOG WOULDN'T EAT IT! And this was a ranch dog that would eat anything...
That reminds me of the pot of vegan chili a well-meaning neighbor sent over. It was horrible, and tasted of DILL of all things. I tried it on my pig of a dog, who would eat anything, and she wouldn't touch it after one sniff. Luckily, the lady didn't stick around to see my reaction.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Seen something similiar in a food mag recently, 'cept it was chorizo.
Mr. John's Meatloaf - Martha Stewart Recipes
Now THAT I can get my head around.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
I have to say there are 2 clear times I can remember. The first was when I bought me fiance over to my grandmothers for dinner (I was 21 at that time) I remember my mother said, "be polite and don't say anything" (this was my father's mother) She made fried hamburgers....the meat was so raw on the inside and burnt on the outside, I just smiled, and said, "Nan, I am trying to keep my weight where it is, the wedding is in 3 weeks", my fiance was sick for a week! The second was a Christmas dinner at a doctors house that I worked for....traditional Indian dishes. I couldn't stomach the food, and was sick for a few days after that.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
When I was in Ecuador, we were invited over to dinner at these people's home...and they were serving vegetable stew with some sort of meat in it...these folks were really poor, and thought that this was a great honor, to have us at their home. I did not want to eat it, but my friend said if we did not, it would be rude. I ate it, and was ill for days afterwards...not sure what it was...lesson learned. Since then, I have not travelled outside of the United States. And, I don't want to any more. I have had more wierd food given to me, when we were in China, Mexico, Europe...and just wish...can't they just serve a plain baked potato, and a hard boiled egg? Or plain corn tortilla, and plain egg? Plain old bowl of rice...and an egg? Every thing does not have to be fancy...but it always is...if I ever have to travel anyplace...I swear, I am taking a jar of PB, and just requesting toast. No more travelling to foriegn countries for me, been there, done that...I am just too old now, and not into it any more. No more food adventures for me...thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
I had a Filipino style goat soup with a lot of innards and I think some bile. It was served at a large graduation party for one of my friend's kids many years ago. While I love to try new foods, this one was very tough for me. I don't want to go into great detail about how the soup tasted, many of you would lose your appetite. There's a picture in the link below that resembles the goat soup I had.

Papaitan na Kambing - Filipino Food Recipes | Cooking Filipino

Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I had a Filipino style goat soup with a lot of innards and I think some bile. It was served at a large graduation party for one of my friend's kids many years ago. While I love to try new foods, this one was very tough for me. I don't want to go into great detail about how the soup tasted, many of you would lose your appetite. Here's a picture that resembles the goat soup I had.

Papaitan na Kambing - Filipino Food Recipes | Cooking Filipino

Oh dear God. This person wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink