Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I had a Filipino style goat soup with a lot of innards and I think some bile. It was served at a large graduation party for one of my friend's kids many years ago. While I love to try new foods, this one was very tough for me. I don't want to go into great detail about how the soup tasted, many of you would lose your appetite. There's a picture in the link below that resembles the goat soup I had.

Papaitan na Kambing - Filipino Food Recipes | Cooking Filipino
My BIL is Filipino. Most of the food they make is quite tasty, panchit, adobo, and those little egg rolls, along with their empanadas, I stay away from the soups because they won"t say what is in them!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,364 times
Meatloaf. Anything that wasn't prepared by my mom or one of my siblings. She made 100% certain that we all knew how to cook well before we left home (just as her own mom did for her), and it has paid off. As a man I've been able to prepare some great meals for dates. Sadly, sometimes for women who could burn ramen in the microwave. :angryeyes: (Yes, I've met some terrible foods that way too)

But back to meatloaf...other than my mom's recipe it is either too dry, too greasy or spiced in some insane way by a bad cook to make it more "palatable." I'll eat it to be polite, but Lord knows I don't enjoy it.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
My BIL is Filipino. Most of the food they make is quite tasty, panchit, adobo, and those little egg rolls, along with their empanadas, I stay away from the soups because they won"t say what is in them!
I agree! I enjoy almost all Filipino food including some soups, but the goat soup I had just overwhelmed me.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
My MIL is old school - all meat must be cooked well done.

In fact, her turkeys come supplied with two of those pop-up indicator. The first tells you the bird is done; the second is a flag for surrender.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I had Pig's blood and rice at a Filipino buffet. It was better than what I had at my bro's house, so long ago. I'd call it "tasty", actually The veins were chewy and the sauce was divine.
Dinuguan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I had Pig's blood and rice at a Filipino buffet. It was better than what I had at my bro's house, so long ago. I'd call it "tasty", actually The veins were chewy and the sauce was divine.
That's one of my favorite Filipino dishes. It's great with hot white rice. BTW, some Filipinos call it "chocolate meat".

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Hell yeah! and some chicken feet!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I ordered some kind of seafood pasta dish at a restaurant in a small town. I was thinking crab meat, shrimp, maybe some lobster meat. When they brought it, it was squid I guess - there were tentacles with suction cups visible. I think being a small town restaurant that wasn't that busy, that they had to improvise and opened a can of "seafood" and poured it on some linguine. I was with a whole bunch of other people and I didn't want to make a big fuss or send the crap back, so I just pushed it around on my plate, ate some of the pasta (didn't want that either because it had the tentacle juice on it) and said I wasn't very hungry. The iced tea was VERY good, so I drank a lot of that. Blech. The thought of it makes me sick.

I am very leery of potluck type of things. I try to eat only the things brought by myself or someone I know who I know is clean. I once was munching away on vegetables from a vegetable platter at a potluck picnic when my husband nudged me and told me to stop eating and pointed to the vegetables, which had little tiny bugs running around on them. I hadn't even looked close enough to see them. Yuck.

Last edited by luzianne; 07-31-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oh yeah, but the pig roasts were for special occasions.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
The worst thing I ever ate to be polite was served to me by a lovely old Chinese lady who spoke not one word of English. She was married to the Chinese gentleman I was tutoring in English, and although she had no interest in learning the language herself, she always came out of the kitchen and made much of me, welcoming me to their small home when I came by to give him another lesson.

My student's wife was worried about my fair complexion, so one day she made me her special "Women's Conditioning Soup" because she thought I was too pale.

It was a beautiful porcelain bowl of delicate, ginger-scented broth with an artistic scattering of green onion shreds over the top. And floating in that lovely broth in the porcelain bowl was an entire whole pig's brain.

I ate every bite.

And you'd better believe that from that day on, even though I don't ever wear makeup, I made sure to apply lots of blush before going to give another English lesson. One bowl of that soup was enough for several lifetimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink