Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

My MIL is truly one of the greatest people I have ever met. She has several terminal illnesses and yet still manages to do a lot for others.

As she grew up in utter poverty during the Depression, her meals are generally very heavy meal, made with very basic ingredients. She has more ways to fix cabbage as that is was they survived on for an entire winter.

Beef is always cooked almost to the point of ruin. Part of it is an attempt to get the meat from the dairy cows more tender as they are eating cows retired from milking. So, when I showed up one day, she was serving "canned beef". Canned beef is beef from the chuck and other portions of the forequarter that are canned for use all year. This is done in lieu of freezing.

I had bad thoughts about what the stuff was going to taste like. I thought it would be pretty bad. However, it was some of the most tender, flavorful meat that I have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
This stuff: Wreckless Eating - Wreckless Eating - Wreckless Pantry - The Money*Shot

Looks nightmarish, tastes great when incorporated into something.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
My mother used to can beef as well. Served over mashed potatoes, not bad. Mine was a tongue sandwich, given to me by my mother in law. She didn't tell me what it was until I was half through it. It was really good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink