Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash your vegetables with soap?
Yes 6 9.09%
No 40 60.61%
Sometimes, it just depends 5 7.58%
Always 1 1.52%
Never 19 28.79%
What are these "vegetables" you speak of? 1 1.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

Never in my life have I heard of washing vegetabled in a washing machine.. lots of cold water surely is all they need, some veg like leeks have to be peeled back bacause of dirt though as very dirty vegetable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I wasn't even there!
Little Minx.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Just got 12 avocados at Costco last night. 83 cents a piece mind you, nice big Californnia Haas.
There's no such thing as Haas avocados.

You must mean Hass, rhymes with "pass," named after Rudolph Hass, the La Habra, California postman who patented the new variety in 1935. It now represents something like 95% of the California crop, and 80% of the worldwide crop.

The Hass Avocado :: Hass Avocado Recipes, Avocado Nutrition & Guacamole Recipes

Hass Avocado Board: Hass Variety

Hass Avocado Board: Haas vs. Hass

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Don't even wash our veg, you gotta get the germy goodness to keep your immune system at full tilt.

I've never heard of anyone using soap "until now" and it just sounds stupid and OCD to me, a bit of dirt on your spud isn't going to hurt you.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I had a salad from a bag once that made me sick. I got paranoid after that, I think.
I remember one night I had one too many glasses of wine and made some mushrooms. I had forgotten to wash/scrub them. I looked in the pot after they were cooked and was like:

because
Fungiculture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
they grow them in horse/pasture manure.

If you make your own salad instead of the pre mixed there is a chance you may not get sick.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I would not use dish-washing detergent, which is actually difficult to rinse off completely, and may not kill germs as well as a veggie wash. Over time you'll be eating a lot of detergent that way.

And whatever you do, you should not wash mushrooms, which are like sponges, soaking up whatever you rinse them with. You should simply brush them off dry with a very soft brush.

One homemade veggie wash that is inexpensive but quite effective is a cup of white vinegar and a cup of water in a spray bottle with about 20 drops of GrapefruitSeed Extract (GSE) added. That's a natural microbial agent from health food stores that washes off cleanly and without leaving any residual taste.

Some people add a tablespoon of baking soda, but I don't.

Rinse and scrub the surface dirt off the veggies then spray liberally and let sit 5 minutes, then rinse clean with fresh water.

Pat dry before putting in refrigerator to help deter mold growth.

Voila!
GSE is an excellent suggestion. It is the only quaternary disinfectant/cleaner that can be consumed. You need the correct dilution to do this, though.

When we pay field workers by the amount that they pick, do you really think that they will walk all the way to a port-a-potty when they have an open field and are unsupervised? Some people are immune to diseases that get others sick. How do you think the term 'Montezuma's Revenge' originated?

That's just a rhetorical comment, and not specifically for you, Open.

Last edited by goldengrain; 08-13-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford
I do for most
I suppose it doesnt hurt as long as you make sure to get it all off before eating!!

Might not be a bad idea actually!!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Picture it - 1947. I was 12 y.o. and my step-sister was 11. Her Mom called from work and told us to get supper started. Wash the spinach and put it in boiling water. Bread the pork chops and put them in the icebox to "set".

I voted to wash the spinach, which I did, with a cake of Ivory soap. I lovingly lathered each leaf and rinsed under running water.

Step-sister put a slice of bread on each chop and put the dish in the icebox, as ordered.

Step-Mother came home, laughed at the "breaded" chops, put some egg wash and crumbs on them and fried them up. The spinach ended up in the boiling water, and the foam ended up on the stove, the counter, the floor.

We opened a can of corn.

I have never done more than rinse the veggies under water. If I was going to get sick, I think I would have done so by now. And I do peel off the outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage, not because somebody might have peed on them but because they are usually bruised or limp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink