Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,560,810 times

Advertisements

Hey gang,
Earlier this month I stopped at a restaurant with my better half and had dinner. The bill was $29.43. I put the $29.43 on the credit card and crossed out the tip section. I left a 5 on the table. I noticed that they charged my credit card $34.43. I waited a few days to see if this was a mistake by them. I waited 5 business days and nothing changed.

I called the restaurant and Wednesday and asked for the manager. I spoke to him regarding this and he was very apologetic, he explained it may have been a mistake. I explained that it was specifically 5 more dollars. I explained I too worked in a restaurant and this is no mistake. I explained to him the legal implications and told him I wanted a refund of the difference. He asked me to come in. I did so yesterday evening and he said I will give you the difference in cash. I said what do I get for the inconvenience of dealing with this. He says "oh this is a normal mistake." That opened a can of worms, I'm thinking "you just put yourself in a big hole buddy."

One of the waiters says your in here pretty often, the manager acknowledged that and thanked me for my frequent business. I then said to him so you consider overcharging people a normal occurrence? He says no no. I explained to him that I want to continue doing business there as we stop by at least once a week. I asked for a free entree next time I come in. He said we don't give away food. That pissed me right off. I told him next time I'd like a discount on my food or he won't being see me again.

I don't feel like he handled this well.
What would you have done?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
You told him over the phone that you wanted a refund of the difference. That is -exactly- what he gave you. He gave you what you asked for. And after he did that, you decided you wanted more. That puts you in the wrong. You probably could've gotten a free dessert or a free drink out of the deal if you hadn't made demands -after- the manager complied with your request to immediately return the money that was owed to you.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Your demand was out of line. Sorry.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,145,394 times
I think the manager was pretty nice about it, apologized and gave you the amount you were overcharged back, and thanked you for your business. It may have been an honest mistake, or it may have been the server was dishonest, but either way the manager made it right. And actually, he was taking your word that you didn't add a tip on. For all he knows, you could have added a tip and then claimed you didn't. But anyway, he made it right. I don't understand wanting free food in addition to that. To me, that makes YOU look low class.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-17-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,560,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
For all he knows, you could have added a tip and then claimed you didn't. But anyway, he made it right. I don't understand wanting free food in addition to that. To me, that makes YOU look low class.
How could I have added a tip? He had his copy of the receipt and I had mine. Please review the original post. Keep in mind I had the original receipt that shows the tip line crossed out with 1 line. They use the carbon copy paper where you fill out the receipt and you get the bottom copy. He pulled the original and seen no tip added via CC. One thing I did ask over the phone was if he could do anything for the inconvenience. He just said come on in. He offered me a menu but I already ate and asked him for next time.

Low class or not this does not look good on them. I will continue to do business with them as our waiter has always been superb. I may just do cash only now.

As to the other posters, please re-read my initial post. He opened a can of worms when he said this is normal. Overcharging people is normal? I don't think so, I used to work in a bar and a supper club. Mistakes like this meant a talking to by the manager. It reflects poorly on the restaurant.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Yes, it looks bad on the server. S/he had to go back to the machine to add the tip. That's normal... the authorization process factors that in automatically, and it takes a second pass to punch in the final amount.

And it sounds like the manager was even willing to comp you for something to eat when you went in, but may not have had any way at all to comp you for a later meal.

I don't think he meant this was normal, but I do think he meant it was not unusual. Another thing that is not unusual is for a different server or a busser to snag the cash tip. Unless i can personally hand the tip to the server I don't like to do that.

In any case, my guess is you've never worked for tips or you'd probably not be so worked up over this very minor issue. Stuff happens. Whatever. You got your money. Move on.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
I think we would all have been a little put out had this happened, but you got your $5 back, you got an apology, and it really didn't seem to be a huge inconvenience for you to stop by. The restaurant is in your neighborhood it appears or close to where you work. Just let it go, if you do not want to return and give them business, that is your right, but drop it and move on. Life is way to short to worry about something like this...

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,532,615 times
Call and speak with the owner not the manager?

File a complaint with the BBB?

Give them a bad review on Yelp?

Take them to small claims court for the 1.25 in gas it cost you to drive there

Get a baseball bat and punch out their front windows.

Leave threatning phonecalls?

I don't know. I think you take your 5 bucks and never come back.

I bet had you not been a jerk you would have gotten comped a free meal.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,785,460 times
I think picket lines and people dressed in costumes appropriate to the restaurant are in order.

From what you said, you asked for a refund, you got it and then you asked for something else. You didn't get something else and you think you deserve more and you are mad about that. As for me, I'd never eat there again, because I'd always be worred they were gonna over charge me again, accidently. i'd always have to check my card balance and then call back and yada yada, too much hassle.

Sounds like you like the place though. No one asks for free food if the place sucks. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,254,679 times
It is time to let this go. You asked the manager for your $5 back and got it so the issue is over and done. This restaurant is convenient for you and you apparently like the food. You have the choice to either eat there or not. I think asking for free food was really out of line. I do hope that whoever added the tip was spoken to about the inappropriateness of that act as it was unprofessional and put the restaurant in a bad light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink