Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times

Advertisements

Why is there a demand for fat free foods? Why not demand food that comes in its most natural form? Fat free milk, yogurt, cheese etc. require more mechanical separation and synthetic techniques in order to get them fat free. Humans never started eating fat free processed products until only very recently, and where exactly are the health benefits? We're fatter than ever.

Food with fat taste infinitely better. You can still eat the same calories as you would with something fat free by eating less but still get the much better overall taste. Eating fat free has got to be one of the biggest gimmicks of all time, and now tons of studies are coming out that are showing that saturated fats really aren't as bad as we thought. What's worse are highly processed foods loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients---like what is in fat free food. Food that is fat free often has to make up for its awful taste by loading it up with tons of sugar instead.

Just tried a fantastic whole milk french vanilla yogurt, there is no way in heck I will ever go back to fat free vanilla yogurt ever again. Same goes with milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Or Low Carb, or High Fiber, or Gluten Free, or any of the latest Fad o' the Day food trends? They ruin the taste of foods, one after another, and then 20 years later it turns out they were wrong. You really could have been having the tasty stuff all along.

The real key to everything is moderation. Enjoy butter... just not on everything, everyday. Love you some bacon... as a once in a while treat. Go ahead and have that gooey hot fudge brownie sundae... just not every month.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
If you look at many "fat free" products, you will find that they are filled with sugar in an effort to make them taste palatable.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,769,035 times
The only thing that's fat free that I buy is milk. I prefer it. But I still buy whole milk for my hubby. Anything less and he acts like I'm trying to kill him.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,798 times
I believe dairy, especially cheese -- yum, needs to have fat in it. That's where its flavor comes from!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why is there a demand for fat free foods? Why not demand food that comes in its most natural form? Fat free milk, yogurt, cheese etc. require more mechanical separation and synthetic techniques in order to get them fat free. Humans never started eating fat free processed products until only very recently, and where exactly are the health benefits? We're fatter than ever.

Food with fat taste infinitely better. You can still eat the same calories as you would with something fat free by eating less but still get the much better overall taste. Eating fat free has got to be one of the biggest gimmicks of all time, and now tons of studies are coming out that are showing that saturated fats really aren't as bad as we thought. What's worse are highly processed foods loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients---like what is in fat free food. Food that is fat free often has to make up for its awful taste by loading it up with tons of sugar instead.

Just tried a fantastic whole milk french vanilla yogurt, there is no way in heck I will ever go back to fat free vanilla yogurt ever again. Same goes with milk.
you have a good point and I agree with you with a few exceptions: yes, the calories might be the same but there are still benefits from things like fat free yogurt and milk. Doctors even recommend putting very young children on fat free milk and have for a couple of decades now. It has little to do with calories and more to do wiht cutting out fat, the same with cottage cheese. Other than a few products I do agree. As for the milk for instance, I have bought even 2% a few times cause it was on sale, hubby doesn't like it, he prefers the non fat.

I have said this for years, one of my doctors years ago mentioned the secret to losing weight is less calories and that means smaller portions. He said it didn't really make a lot of difference where those calories are coming from. If people check the ingredients on the low fat, low calorie, low this, low that I am sure many would understand what you are saying: An example and I have used this before: low sodium V 8 juisce, more sugar: low fat salad dressings, the same, more sugar. Cereals used to be truely natural, now they are truely filled with sweetening of some kind. I think we could all find many low fat, non fat, etc foods that have replaced the fat with other unhealthy additives: this goes for low sodium, low sugar, whatever.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
No fat-free or low fat for me - give me FULL fat.... give me EXTRA fat!

Seriously, I just like good food in it's natural form, and just eat moderately.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
The only thing I buy lowfat would be diet soda and lowfat shredded cheeses, cottage cheese and sour cream. I tried FF cheese and it's gross.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The only thing I buy lowfat would be diet soda and lowfat shredded cheeses, cottage cheese and sour cream. I tried FF cheese and it's gross.
I don't even go that far, I don't like the consistancy of low fat sour cream, especially if you are trying to use it for dips or cooking. Low fat cheeses I don't like either, but I do buy low fat cottage cheese and I can't understand how some think it tastes any different from regular cottage cheese.

Nita

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 AM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you look at many "fat free" products, you will find that they are filled with sugar in an effort to make them taste palatable.

Not only that, sometimes I've noticed that their sodium content is higher too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink