U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 15,172,265 times

Advertisements

EatTheWeeds: Episode 62: Dandelions - YouTube

Found this guy while I was lookin up Saw Palmetto, something my mom and dad ate as kids. He's pretty interesting.
He's got like 130 something videos on foods most Americans probably thinks will kill them if they ate it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds/videos

Poke around the web site.
Apples, Wild Crabapples | Eat The Weeds and other things, too
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,718,871 times
In other countries seeds of Dente de Lion (i.e., teeth of the lion, for their sawtooth leaves) are commonly sold for the garden.

And you can often buy fresh cut leaves at health food stores, including Whole Foods.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 PM

9,492 posts, read 19,761,398 times
Dandelion salad is a staple food for the Amish around here.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,226,345 times
You don't want to eat them from your yard, if you put anything on your yard, like weed killers, or insecticides, etc!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,392,690 times
Fresh dandelion greens are sold at Earth Fair - a grocery that sells all organic and as much as possible, locally grown produce, locally produced milk, eggs, meat, poultry, etc. Earth Fair opened last week near my home - such a beautiful market.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 PM

15,881 posts, read 27,938,924 times
Try them first. Dandelion greens are generally very bitter. I like them a lot but some people do not.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,718,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Try them first. Dandelion greens are generally very bitter. I like them a lot but some people do not.
An entire salad of them would be a lot, but they make a nice flavor point in a tossed salad of various greens, in much the same way that radicchio does.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM

7,023 posts, read 10,609,671 times
I had a snack of Violet and Nasturtium flowers the other day. Really bitter aftertaste. Interesting texture though. Certainly, quite edible. Very little nutritional value to be had from them, however.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM

10,944 posts, read 9,775,443 times
I'm a little late to this thread but I did stumble across it today and thought I'd comment.

It took me many years of hesitation (probably because of the memory of taking a bite out of the stalk of a dandelion flower and the incredible bitterness of it when I was a little girl) but this year I tried dandelions for the first time.

I cooked the greens by first boiling them for four or five minutes, draining, chopping into one-inch or so pieces, and then adding them to already sauteed chopped garlic and red pepper flakes (in olive oil) and continuing to saute for another four minutes or so.

And they were awesome! Even my teenage son liked them.

The only thing is, they cook down......a lot. You can pick a pretty fair amount, and by the time they cook down, you don't really end up with that much.

I also tried dandelion wine (with the blossoms) but the jury is still out on that because you're supposed to wait at least a year to drink it and it's only been a few months.

Next year, I am going to try to be more diligent about dandelion gathering because, while I get tons of them down in my goat pastures, they get choked out pretty quickly by the other grass and weeds later in the spring.

I did manage to blanch some for a few packages to put in the freezer for later use - much like you would do with spinach.

Thanks for that video, 70Ford; I'll check out the other 61 videos of his (I need to get brave and try nettles next year).

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,465,397 times
Yup!
The latest thing I made is Dandelion Porridge Chinese style (in place of chinese greens like chinese kale) for my survivalist food project = highly abundant & don't need maintenance foods from harvesting naturally.

I was inspired because my sister have cancer, and was researching greens for antioxidant properties & dandelion rank very very high indeed for good food to prevent cancer & such. Just google.

That porridge tasted really great.
Although the cleaning of dandelion is quite tedious & you need a lot to make only a little (just like collard greens, kale etc.).

P.S. Btw... dandelion as food is not strange or "new"... my MIL's mom made aplenty of dandelion salad (great with bacon drippings) plenty of times for her growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink