Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which foods would you consider to be "junk food"?
Twinkies 66 94.29%
Donuts 62 88.57%
Pop-Tarts 61 87.14%
Hot Pockets 57 81.43%
Fast-food hamburgers 56 80.00%
Homemade hamburgers with bun, cheese, ground beef, and A1 15 21.43%
White Bread 40 57.14%
Milk 6 8.57%
Broccoli 0 0%
None of the above 1 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, by no means does he need to eat pancakes, pizzas, etc to get enough calories.....and athletes don't eat in that way either. Eating a bunch of fat, sugar and refined carbohydrate doesn't enhance athletic performance....

The starving person is going to eat whatever is in front of him...because he is...ahem...starving.

Perhaps on mars, but here on plant earth there is a large body of evidence that demonstrates that the regular consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc is strong correlated with improved health outcomes.

But be my guest, eat all the pancakes, pizza, etc you want.
oh, i see you know a whole lot about absolutely nothing. phelps eats like that because he needs the calories. of course, he modifies his diet depending on his needs. athletes do eat like that.

the starving person will eat anything. but the point (that you intentionally chose to ignore) is that the starving person is going to benefit much more from the twinkies than he would from the broccoli.

there is no body of evidence on that. there are a lot of interested parties who say a lot of things, but there is no proof that eating like primitive man will help you live any longer. how long did primitive man live by the way? its hilarious what people will fall for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
phelps eats like that because he needs the calories.
Except, of course, that Phelps doesn't eat like that....and to say it once more you don't need to eat pancakes and pizza to get the needed calories, there are numerous alternatives.

Quote:
but the point (that you intentionally chose to ignore) is that the starving person is going to benefit much more from the twinkies than he would from the broccoli.
Not really, the Twinkie will supply more calories but the broccoli more micro-nutrients. But focusing on starving people is absolutely silly.....it says nothing about what normal people should be eating.

Anyhow, the research is all there, feel free to read it.....not going to debate about it.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Though lean beef (and even more so lean grass fed) removes some of the issues with beef (e.g, its link to heart disease), still research has linked red meat consumption to disease again and again.......that would seem to make it "unhealthy".
What diseases in particular? Care to provide links to all this research?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Though lean beef (and even more so lean grass fed) removes some of the issues with beef (e.g, its link to heart disease), still research has linked red meat consumption to disease again and again.......that would seem to make it "unhealthy".
What diseases in particular? Care to provide links to the research? If it's some studies comparing meat eaters to non meat eater's mortality rates then it's not real evidence, correlation doesn't equal causation. Also it still doesn't link it to any disease.

Excessive red meat consumption is said to be "linked to disease" but so is anything in excess.... in fact today's diabetes and obesity epidemic in particular is caused almost entirely by excessive consumption of carbs and so called healthy "grains" and also sugar oh and so called "healthy" foods like rice and potatoes. Buy a glucometer and test your blood sugar after eating different foods to find this out. When blood sugar levels reach a certain level, irreversible damage to your pancreas happens which kills beta cells and reduces your ability to control your blood sugar until you get diabetes. If anything the modern diet has too little lean meat and too much refined carb crap, which is why everyone is getting obese and diabetic. Don't believe me? Eat a large meal, say 1500kcal total energy, one based on a high carb content and one based on high protein/red meat etc... and measure your blood sugar levels 1, 2 hours after eating. I did this myself and the former meal produced a massive BG spike, whereas the second meal (done on another day) produced no blood sugar spike at all. When your body is busy lowering the blood sugar spike caused by a high carb diet where is all that blood sugar going? Fat. Yeah. Turning into fat. Linked to all that attendant heart disease, diabetes, insulin resistance, cancer, sounds good. Blood sugar problems on diets high in carbohydrates are actually linked to an incredible amount of disease in the body, far more than any lean red meat, so having that under control by moderating carbohydrate intake is actually a good way to be "healthy", not by eating less "red meat" or this other crap people tell you. What regulates blood sugar? Insulin, the most inflammatory hormone in the body, when constantly raised to deal with a high carb diet. It's linked to aging of the body, skin, organs etc... People with with higher levels of insulin actually age faster and die sooner. 70% of adults in the US are overweight and 35% diabetic, this has actually got worse since the "Low fat" craze started, and refined carbs have become the majority of our diet. I laugh when people give me this stuff about red meat being unhealthy when you look at all these fat diabetic people who are like that because they stuff themselves with high carb rubbish. And if you think I'm talking nonsense, just buy yourself a glucometer and watch your blood sugar levels when you eat high carb rubbish. I would bet at least 90% of the carbs you eat could be called junk food. Red meat is not "unhealthy". If anything your beloved grains are. The fact is this high carb modern diet is the thing giving the most disease and death rates to people in the western world today, that is a fact. You say in another post "they say to limit red meat, why because it causes disease". LOL. Actually they should be putting these messages on boxes of unhealthy wheatabix "limit your consumption of this to no more than xxxx amount" to avoid developing diabetes, obesity and the resulting heart disease etc... which such refined carb garbage is very efficient at causing in nearly 70% of the population"....LOL

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-11-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I voted Hot Pockets and PopTarts.
Everything else could be considered a dessert or a meal, as part of a balanced diet.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Could someone please tell me what the hell hot pockets are?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Except, of course, that Phelps doesn't eat like that....and to say it once more you don't need to eat pancakes and pizza to get the needed calories, there are numerous alternatives.

Not really, the Twinkie will supply more calories but the broccoli more micro-nutrients. But focusing on starving people is absolutely silly.....it says nothing about what normal people should be eating.

Anyhow, the research is all there, feel free to read it.....not going to debate about it.
oh im sorry, i thought that athletes cant eat anything but twinkies and pizza to get the calories they need to perform. thanks for pointing out there are alternative sources.

oh hahahaha, yeah those micro-nutrients that are really great at supplying a micro amount of things that have little importance.

the funny thing is that people assume the research is there, but none of it has proven anything. no research has show that if you eat x you are definitely going to be x healthier. the research doesnt prove anything about what you eat, the only thing research has proven is that obesity in general is dangerous for your health. whether you get obese by eating natural peanut butter, apples, twinkies, pizza, carrots, etc. makes no difference.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What foods would you consider to be "junk food"?
Anything that tastes really good lol.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
oh hahahaha, yeah those micro-nutrients that are really great at supplying a micro amount of things that have little importance.
Except of course that you'll die without those micro-nutrients.

Regardless, if you're interested in nutrition there are numerous books for you. Certainly not going to waste my time with this....

Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
What diseases in particular? Care to provide links to the research? If it's some studies comparing meat eaters to non meat eater's mortality rates then it's not real evidence, correlation doesn't equal causation.
No, not studies comparing vegetarians to meat eaters, rather studies that isolate their attention to red meat:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/he...t-disease.html

Red meat link to cancer, especially when well-done:

Well-done red meat linked to aggressive prostate cancer - CNN.com

Red meat linked to type 2 diabetes:

A prospective study of red meat consumption an... [Diabetes Care. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

There is really a long list of studies that demonstrate the negative health outcomes of red meat....taken together they provide a very strong argument against red meat.

Quote:
in fact today's diabetes and obesity epidemic in particular is caused almost entirely by excessive consumption of carbs and so called healthy "grains" and also sugar oh and so called "healthy" foods like rice and potatoes.
It is? Do you have any studies that demonstrate this? Its a bit problematic considering their are countries (e.g., Japan), that eat more carbohydrates than Americans yet have far less problems with obesity.

Furthermore, most Americans aren't eating "healthy grains", they are eating refined carbohydrates. That should be rather apparent if you walk through a grocery store, foods made from refined carbohydrates vastly out-number whole grain foods. The soda section is often about the size of the vegetable section....

I see you try to justify this assertion, but it doesn't appear to be rooted in science. For example, the body converts glucose (from carbs) into fat as a last resort, the body always prefers to convert dietary fat into body fat when there is excess calories because the process is around ten times more efficient. Additionally, not only do high-carbohydrate diets not promote diabetes, it has been routinely shown that high-carb/high fiber diets help treat type 2 diabetes.

Though I realize you're just ranting about carbohydrates and probably have no interest in whether red meat is indeed bad for you or not.....painting all carbohydrates with the same brush makes no sense. Refined carbohydrates have routinely been linked to poor health outcomes, yet the exact opposite can be said of whole non-refined carbohydrate foods. Similar things can be said of meat, though red meat has been routinely linked to poor health outcomes the same can't be said of some other meats.

Quote:
And if you think I'm talking nonsense, just buy yourself a glucometer and watch your blood sugar levels when you eat high carb rubbish. I would bet at least 90% of the carbs you eat could be called junk food.
My blood sugar levels are perfect and I routinely eat very high carbohydrate meals, indeed my diet is higher in carbohydrates than the average American but I rarely eat refined carbohydrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink