Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times

Advertisements

Hi, I do not cook, that's why I'm clueless. I can't get over the difference between fresh jalapenos and those from a jar. The jarred ones actually have flavor, while the fresh bright green ones are nothing but fire. The fresh ones are raw, I guess, while the others have sat in oil. Why do most Mexican restaurants use the jar variety? Do you think they arrive that way, or do they arrive fresh and the restaurant has them sit in oil for awhile? I haven't had dried jalapenos, or even know if they come that way, I don't know how spicy that would be. Now other chile peppers...I guess they are also spicier when fresh, but at restaurants, as far as I can recall, I haven't had them served 2 different ways. When it comes to vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, etc) I don't notice as dramatic a flavor change when it comes to fresh vs. canned.

I wish restaurants that use fresh jalapenos would say so on the menu so you know how much spicier it'll be. I LOVE "regular" jalapenos and am devastated by the fact that I can't handle the fresh ones! I guess on the Scoville scale, they rate chiles in their fresh state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
1) The "heat" in chiles is predominantly in their seeds, and in the connective veins. So if you strip out those parts the chile will be much milder than if you use it whole.

2) Cooked chiles are milder tasting than raw chiles. It's not the oil that makes jarred chiles milder tasting, it's the fact that they've been cooked as part of the canning process.

3) Diana Kennedy, celebrated author of Mexican Food cookbooks, says that peppers in Mexican food are chosen first of all for their flavor, not for their their heat. That's why you see so many different varieties on sale in a Mexican market.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
I love fresh ones.

Someone gave me about 5 lbs of the little devils and now not sure
what to do with all of them?/

Ideas....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I love fresh ones.

Ideas....
Get a vegtable basket for the grill, roast them and make fresh salsa then freeze it. Or just freeze the roast pepper until your ready to use them.

roasting before freezing them will make them last longer.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM

OP the one in the some mexican restaurants you are talking about are pickled in vinegar usually con escabeche.

the better restaurants or food trucks will have them fire roasted con cebollas(onions)

Raw are great by themselves or roasted quickly on a gas stove or in a cast iron skillet.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-11-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Hi, I do not cook, that's why I'm clueless. I can't get over the difference between fresh jalapenos and those from a jar. The jarred ones actually have flavor, while the fresh bright green ones are nothing but fire. The fresh ones are raw, I guess, while the others have sat in oil. Why do most Mexican restaurants use the jar variety? Do you think they arrive that way, or do they arrive fresh and the restaurant has them sit in oil for awhile? I haven't had dried jalapenos, or even know if they come that way, I don't know how spicy that would be. Now other chile peppers...I guess they are also spicier when fresh, but at restaurants, as far as I can recall, I haven't had them served 2 different ways. When it comes to vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, etc) I don't notice as dramatic a flavor change when it comes to fresh vs. canned.

I wish restaurants that use fresh jalapenos would say so on the menu so you know how much spicier it'll be. I LOVE "regular" jalapenos and am devastated by the fact that I can't handle the fresh ones! I guess on the Scoville scale, they rate chiles in their fresh state.
I am sure they arrive that way, no, they were not just soaked in oil for awhile. As for fresh jalapenos, if the seeds and membrane are removed or mostly they can have flavor.. the best way is to roast them for a few minutes, that brings out the sweetness, mixed with the heat. I would much prefer fresh to canned..As for the change in flavor between fresh and canned, it depends totally how they were canned. The ingredients in canning can change the flavor.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
I love fresh jalapenos but I still buy the jarred version for pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches.

I especially love the "juice" from the jarred variety. I use it in chili, soups, and over beef and pork roasts that I use for tacos and shredded barbeque. The vinegar content is just enough to help break down cheaper cuts of meat. And it's delicious, too.

I also use the "juice" in my southern style cabbage and cooked greens (mustards, turnips, and collards). I bet it is also good in homemade salad dressings, too.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I love fresh ones.

Ideas....
Stuffed jalapeno poppers!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I love fresh jalapenos but I still buy the jarred version for pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches.

I especially love the "juice" from the jarred variety. I use it in chili, soups, and over beef and pork roasts that I use for tacos and shredded barbeque. The vinegar content is just enough to help break down cheaper cuts of meat. And it's delicious, too.

I also use the "juice" in my southern style cabbage and cooked greens (mustards, turnips, and collards). I bet it is also good in homemade salad dressings, too.
I agree, it is kinda like preferring fresh mushrooms but keeping a few jars around to throw on pizza or whatever.

Tonight with our ribs we are havin jalapenos and squash wrapped in Proscuito ham.

Nita

Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Stuffed jalapeno poppers!
Oh yeah great idea. Especially if he has the larger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink