U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,390,053 times

Advertisements

Just curious if it's a dying art. One thing I learned as a boy on the farm was how to dress wild game, fowl and (also) meat from the farm. Chickens. God how their innards stunk. And turkeys and rabbits and ducks. Squirrels, pheasant, quail... (used to raise those, they had such pretty, tiny eggs.)

I taught my son how to cut up a chicken bought in the market (I'm in an apartment now, and he was like "Dad, why do I need to know this.") and I said, "Because whole chickens are cheaper." But the real reason I think was I wanted him to know that birds don't just come all cut up and ready for the pan. I'm starting to think people these days think steaks and pork chops grow on trees.

Anyone sound off if you've ever had to process your own game or fowl.

I remember when I prepared a rainbow trout, after we got it home. My daughter was about 9 at the time. She asked me if it had hurt. I told her it would've hurt more if a fish had ate it. I caught it and captured it and dispatched it (put it on ice, it fell asleep and never woke up) quickly. Prepared it, and it was delicious. God, fresh rainbow trout and butter in a pan. I think there is not much better than that.

If you're into this kind of thing, I recommned this video; it's very long. But it's informative. I thought it was very interesting. A hippy nerd interviewing a man that lives off the land. That man kills a bear and skins it and takes it for meat, after it threatened his family. No more than the bear would have done.

Surviving Alone in Alaska - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,659,982 times
You name it -- I can skin it, filet it, cut it up, and dress it out, including intenstine removal. Being a daughter of a farmer and also a hunter and a fisherperson myself, I had to learn. I can filet a fish with my eyes closed I think. The only thing I might have trouble with is a Canadian Goose....those things are big and heavy! LOL

Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,564,765 times
I also learned all of the above at a early age, I have not dressed out an animal in over 20 years.
I dont think it's something one forgets how to do though. I did always hate plucking the Ducks we hunted though.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,269,157 times
Largest ever processed-Elk

Smallest- Dove

Add in just about any other kind of game or fish between those two and I probably killed it and processed it in the last 35 years since I've been hunting and fishing in North America.

I have helped clean and process bears for buddies but I won't take them myself.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-19-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,713,768 times
There's a joke that's dying to be made -- featuring a polka-dot poodle skirt -- but I won't go there.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 PM

18,241 posts, read 22,642,362 times
I have never done this, I'll let the supermarket dress my fowl for me LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,452,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
There's a joke that's dying to be made -- featuring a polka-dot poodle skirt -- but I won't go there.
I will

OP. No. Can't dress anything but completely agree with you that people need to know where their food comes from.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,713,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I will

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thank you! You're awesome!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM

16,479 posts, read 13,853,522 times
I just go to the market and they do that for me, and that way I don't have to kill the wildlife, either.
Cheap, no work involved, allows wildlife to flourish. What a concept!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM

34,375 posts, read 63,605,966 times
My mother always says that if I had to kill and dress my own chickens I'd be a vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink