Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,372,677 times

Advertisements

This is a change for the good - I wish all restaurants would start decreasing the amount of salt in their food. We travel alot and eating at home isn't always an option for us.

I quit putting the shaker on the table several years ago - my husband used to be one of those salt without tasting guys. After a while, he didn't even seem to notice it was gone. He might ask for it if we're having eggs but that's about it...

Last edited by Bakeneko; 08-23-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Usually I let this stuff go but I have to ask......smoking/ashtrays has what to do with salt shakers again?
Both were widely accepted on restaurant tables by the public in earlier years, whether one used them or not. Public attitudes about both have changed due to health concerns.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,505,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Usually I let this stuff go but I have to ask......smoking/ashtrays has what to do with salt shakers again?
Are you comparing smoking to salt usage? I'm confused.
It is a fair comparison given the potential health problems arising from our societies abuse of both substances and the cultural change over the last 40 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
So, not only are we going to outlaw various foods in the name of nannyism, we're going to make danged sure that people don't get to make their own choices, either? What country is this, again?

For the record, I am a salt craver and always have been. My white coat blood pressure has regularly (for about 60 years now) tested in the 100 over 60 range. A SMALL percentage of the population is "salt reactive", but we act as if that small percentage defines the population as a whole, just as we do with many other things, rather than requiring those who are to take responsibility for their own condition. Apparently Boston Market thinks that they are incapable of doing so and must be treated like children unable to take care of themselves, and the rest of us along with them.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Apparently Boston Market thinks that they are incapable of doing so and must be treated like children unable to take care of themselves, and the rest of us along with them.
I think that's overreading the situation. It seems much more likely that they are responding to the very reasonable criticisms that their food is too salty by reducing the salt in their recipes, AND making a public gesture that will draw attention to that change, as it already has.

Now, if they started checking IDs and said "Sorry, you've already been in twice this week... no food for you!" then I'd start to worry.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,847 times
Bummer. And a seriously stupid move for BM in a lame appeal to "health consciousness". It's along the same line as the lame "green" product campaigns from so many consumer good manufacturers/sellers over the past 1/2 decade or so...

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,505,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think that's overreading the situation. It seems much more likely that they are responding to the very reasonable criticisms that their food is too salty by reducing the salt in their recipes, AND making a public gesture that will draw attention to that change, as it already has.

Now, if they started checking IDs and said "Sorry, you've already been in twice this week... no food for you!" then I'd start to worry.
HEY!!! easy dont give that idiot Bloomberg anymore ideas.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY....about time. High levels of Sodium are not good for persons although many don't believe that.

To tell you about what can happen with a salt shaker at a restaurant:
I was an executive at a large company for 30 years. It was our hiring policy to take a potential hire out to eat. If the candidate salted his/her food without tasting the food first, he/she was automatically disqualified. The basis for this decision is that the person assumed the food needed salt without trying it first.....in business one can't progress on assumptions alone. This salting candidate appears to make hasty and arbitrary decisions and also one who would most likely not analyze before making decisions in business. A good candidate will test the waters and eat first and then salt if not seasoned right - a sign of a person who will test first and analyze before accepting the challenges to discover their way through business.

But at any restaurant, don't let the chef see you salt his food. That would be an insult upon the chef. LOL
Really now...what company was this?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Well, truthfully, I never knew that it was butter that they were using on the hamburger bun. All I knew was that there was HUGE flavor to it. When I was told that it was butter, then I knew that there was HUGE fat to it. So we starting telling them to "hold the butter." When we went a few days ago -- and hadn't been there for a year -- and asked them to NOT put butter on the bun before toasting, the waitress told us, "Oh, we don't do that anymore!"

I'm hoping that enough people were telling them to hold the butter... or that they became health-aware on their own.

PS. I love butter.

PPS. JACK BUTTERS HIS BUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! Errr, no, he does NOT butter his buns. Sorry.
buttering the little round things that are similar to bread that we call buns are great buttered, but buttering ones buns could be a little messy and very weird!!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,069,938 times
I don't think it will make that much difference. People who don't eat salt won't even notice it isn't there...people who must have it will get up and go get it. It's disgusting how much sodium is in most food these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink