Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times

Advertisements

I have a few that come to mind: the first would have to be James Beard, no doubt, followed by Julia and yes, the galloping gourmet. Noq, another that could have been famous, but wasn't would be my own dad. He taught me so many tricks to cooking, including how to make a rue and what it was, how to make hollandiase sause, and how to cut a chicken.

There are a few on the food network I really like, but I don't think they have really made a impact on me: one is Melissa on $10 meals. I love Ina but as for Martha, I have never liked her, personally or her cooking. Years ago, in her hay day, I saw her measure salt over the batter. That is a no no from day one. If the salt box slips, even a little (this goes for soda, baking powder, etc) the entire batter is ruined. It showed me she knows nothing about cooking...At least that is how I see it, but it is only my opinion.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
The only time that I ever took a recipe from Martha Stewart is when she had Lydia Bas*tianich on her show and Martha helped her make this recipe, which I've been making for upwards of 10 years now:

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...mushrooms.html

I know someone who worked for Lydia, in one of her NYC restaurants. He was the sommelier. He said that she is pure evil. And that her son (you know him from all the cooking shows now, where he judges beside Gordon Ramsay), Joe Bas*tianich, is equally evil.

Bulldog: What does "bas*tianich" mean in English? I'm sure it's some sort of take-off on "bastard."

Note: I added that * in their name so that if they google themselves, they won't find this and come beat me to a pulp.

ANYWAY.

I can't say that there's any ONE chef who has had an impact on my cooking style, but I have learned a lot of neat tips from a bunch of them, even from Rachael Ray (grating garlic right onto the dish you're cooking).

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-24-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:17 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,312,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I know someone who worked for Lydia, in one of her NYC restaurants. He was the sommelier. He said that she is pure evil. And that her son (you know him from all the cooking shows now, where he judges beside Gordon Ramsay), Joe Bas*tianich, is equally evil.
).
I was onto Joe B the first time I saw him. The guy has two expressions - aloof "I'm better than all of you" smirk, and shooting daggers. I guess it makes sense that his mother is evil too, wow. Well, what goes around comes around - my son calls Lydia the comb-over lady. I guess "Nana" the old bat is the queen that spawned all the demonic hatchlings.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM

20,863 posts, read 28,209,689 times
My mom! Best cook in the world.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom! Best cook in the world.
Best answer in the world.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,233,449 times
I can't say that I cook like Jacques Pepin, but he is the one I channel- "What would Jacques Pepin do?". When I baked an apple galette for the first time I used his recipe and it came out beautifully.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
The only time that I ever took a recipe from Martha Stewart is when she had Lydia Bas*tianich on her show and Martha helped her make this recipe, which I've been making for upwards of 10 years now:

Bulldog: What does "bas*tianich" mean in English? I'm sure it's some sort of take-off on "bastard."

Note: I added that * in their name so that if they google themselves, they won't find this and come beat me to a pulp.

ANYWAY.

I can't say that there's any ONE chef who has had an impact on my cooking style, but I have learned a lot of neat tips from a bunch of them, even from Rachael Ray (grating garlic right onto the dish you're cooking).
I am inclined to agree with you: It isn't so much the style but the little hints and an occassional recipe we pick up from others. I pick up a hint here and there almost weekly from watching the food Network and I have been cooking longer than most of you have been alive.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,372,028 times
My grand mother, my mom, Emeril Lagasse, Bobby Flay and Mario Batalli (sp). Learned a lot of tips, short cuts, proper use of spices, good equipment (utensils, pots and pans), types of meats and cheeses that can be used in different types of dishes, smoking and BBQ techniques, cooking times for meats (rare, medium rare, medium medium well).

Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,548,209 times
Quote:

ANYWAY.

Well not sure on Lidia's surname but it sounds real close to the Italian Bastiano which is a derivative of Sebastian in Latin. I believe this is her married name. I like her cooking but it is very different from the Sicilian/Southern type I am used to from my mothers side of the family.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:26 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,770,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet. He never took himself too seriously and made cooking fun.

Graham Kerr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to roll on the floor laughing at him getting tipsy while cooking. My mom and I watched him together. The first fancy thing I ever made was his recipe for Pots de Creme.

Anyway, other than my Mom, I guess I am most influenced by Ina Garten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink