Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I hear that all the time from newcomers to my area - why isn't there a Thai restaurant? We tell them there is a Chinese restaurant, and they look at us for the bumpkins we are. I don't care for oriental food, myself (not into ethnic) - is it similar?
I'll take Chinese (Cantonese) over Thai every day of the week ... and twice on Sundays. For that matter, include Japanese food. For that matter, my dislike for Thai food has NOTHING to do with the Orient, because some mild Cantonese Chinese beef and chicken dishes are very good and marinated beef prepared by the Japanese is also tasty, and you don't go back to your desk after lunch with a bad aftertaste, nor pay for it even later. After a few Thai lunches, I was unproductive in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup I lived in Thailand for years as a kid and got used to dark meat in gang gai, often in larger chunks with bones in 'em. I also miss Thai eggplant, that absorbs the curry flavor so much better than all the stuff they dump in it here.
They put eggplant in the curry at a lot of places around here! (Dallas)

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I love Thai food, and anyone who doesn't needs to be destroyed immediately.
This.

Your particular tastes just go against the mainstream on this one. For instance, most 'mericans seem to like pizza with 5 pounds of effing cheese on it; I think it is disgusting. To each his/her own.

I definitely don't think it is people just claiming to like Thai food just to be hip or something. Most people who try Thai food enjoy it and return for more.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,561 times
I love Thai food, especially Thai noodles. Yummy!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
They put eggplant in the curry at a lot of places around here! (Dallas)
Unfortunately, many places here in Southern California uses eggplant in their curries Sorry, but eggplant and Chatteress taste buds don't get along very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
I love Thai food, especially Thai noodles. Yummy!
I always have to have some sort of noodle dish whenever I visit a Thai restaurant

Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Worst part of it? The next morning.......time to pay for that meal. I will say no more.
Hey man those times can make you actually appreciate a squat toilet with the little spray hose instead of low budget toilet paper.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I hear that all the time from newcomers to my area - why isn't there a Thai restaurant? We tell them there is a Chinese restaurant, and they look at us for the bumpkins we are. I don't care for oriental food, myself (not into ethnic) - is it similar?
How do you like Occidental food?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'll take Chinese (Cantonese) over Thai every day of the week ... and twice on Sundays. For that matter, include Japanese food. For that matter, my dislike for Thai food has NOTHING to do with the Orient, because some mild Cantonese Chinese beef and chicken dishes are very good and marinated beef prepared by the Japanese is also tasty, and you don't go back to your desk after lunch with a bad aftertaste, nor pay for it even later. After a few Thai lunches, I was unproductive in the afternoon.
I agree about the aftertaste which is why I usually have mints on me ... You can get just as bad of an aftertaste with garlicky Italian food or Chinese food ...

Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
I think it is an acquired taste. Having a SO that grew up in Thailand, I have been exposed to much of it, as she is a superb cook. (Granted, I can't do the salted fish stuff)....

Much of the Chinese food in the US has been heavily Americanized (though if you go with the natives from China here, they know where to go). I would imagine that many Americans would be turned off by chicken feet, etc.

The only thing I struggle with is (since she shops at asian markets), is when I am hungry and digging through the pantry for something to eat, I have no idea what "หอยเชลล์และถั่วเขียวในซอสแกงกะหรี่" means , so I just look at the pictures.

Though much of the stuff is now home-grown, like lemongrass, and hot chilis, and things I have no idea what they are etc.....

Thai food may not be as diverse as Chinese. When I was in New England, Vietnamese was very popular. (A nice Pho).

Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I've had Thai on numerous occasions, and honestly, most other Asian cuisines I've had beat it. Maybe it's because I only tried it in Duluth, Minnesota, where locals seem to think that food from anywhere in Asia tastes like Chinese food. It's not bad, but not that good, either. I usually don't like a mix of "sweet" with other flavors.

Malaysian food, Japanese food, Vietnamese food, and ESPECIALLY South Asian (Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese) food I like; but Thai food is just, well, blah. Pad Thai is pretty good though, Tom Yum is good when it does not have vegetables in it, and larb and papaya salad (Isaan/Lao dishes) are surprisingly good for salads.

It seemed to be very popular about 10 years ago. That's around when the first Thai restaurant in Duluth opened. There once were three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink