Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times

Advertisements

Dad's coworker gave me a $50 Ralph's gift card. I usually don't go there except for sandwiches and salads.

Anybody ever had one of these? I want to know what people think are the best items to spend it on. I'm a little torn because we already buy a lot of what they sell elsewhere for cheaper.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Well the card didn't cost you anything, so buy whatever you want. Maybe look at their sales and buy something you need that is on sale.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Look at the ad, take your coupons, buy what's on sale or buy a special treat.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I have never heard of Ralph's, but when my grandmother was alive, I always gave her gift cards to her local grocery. She always stocked up on ice cream, because that was a real treat for her. Like the others said, buy yourself a treat or stock up on items, which is nice as we get closer to the holidays.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
You shouldn't have to spend the whole $50 at once; if it's a plastic card that has a magnetic strip, it's intended to be used until it's empty, no matter how many times it's used.

So use it for sandwiches, it'll be a free lunch for you for a few days.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Dad's coworker gave me a $50 Ralph's gift card. I usually don't go there except for sandwiches and salads.

Anybody ever had one of these? I want to know what people think are the best items to spend it on. I'm a little torn because we already buy a lot of what they sell elsewhere for cheaper.

Thanks in advance!
I am having a little trouble understanding your reasoning? You say you buy a lot of what they sell elsewhere cheaper, but what is cheaper than free???

We received a $40 gift card for our wedding anniversary to a very pricey butcher shop here. Of course I never buy anything at the ship or rarely cause it is much higher than the markets, but free is free and we were delighted.

If it were me, I would go to Ralph's and buy something I normally do not splurge on, maybe specialty produce like fennel or shallots, things most of us do not buy everyday or get a really top of the line steak or fish. Whatever, but because it is free it is cheaper than your usual grocery stores regardless.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I have never heard of Ralph's, but when my grandmother was alive, I always gave her gift cards to her local grocery. She always stocked up on ice cream, because that was a real treat for her. Like the others said, buy yourself a treat or stock up on items, which is nice as we get closer to the holidays.
I assume she is referring to the western chain grocery store. They have been in business, I am guessing close to 75 years. We used to shop at them when I was just a little girl. In fact, I would say, at one time, Ralph's was my parents favorite store. I know it was grandmas.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am having a little trouble understanding your reasoning? You say you buy a lot of what they sell elsewhere cheaper, but what is cheaper than free???

We received a $40 gift card for our wedding anniversary to a very pricey butcher shop here. Of course I never buy anything at the ship or rarely cause it is much higher than the markets, but free is free and we were delighted.

If it were me, I would go to Ralph's and buy something I normally do not splurge on, maybe specialty produce like fennel or shallots, things most of us do not buy everyday or get a really top of the line steak or fish. Whatever, but because it is free it is cheaper than your usual grocery stores regardless.
Well, it wouldn't be special. Why should I have to use such good money on $2 packages of napkins or $5 loaves of bread when I can just go and buy them somewhere else? I wanted to know about the best items for this free money.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
There are two ways to look at it... like it's not real money (it's free! go splurge!)... or like it is real money (read the ads, use coupons). As I recall you are a student, and cost conscious, so I'd emphasize the latter approach.

Since Ralph's seems to be a more expensive store than you normally shop at, I would stick with the excellent suggestion to use it for what you already buy there, the sandwiches and salads. Every $5 you use the card for in that way is $5 you don't need to take out of your wallet. You might even consider sticking those "free" $5 away in your "rainy day" fund.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Well, it wouldn't be special. Why should I have to use such good money on $2 packages of napkins or $5 loaves of bread when I can just go and buy them somewhere else? I wanted to know about the best items for this free money.
I am utterly confused, but regardless, only you can decide what to use the card for: When I have gotten say, s gift card I will often use it for my Thanksgiving turkey or as I said something that is special you would not normally buy, certainly not something like napkins...There has to be something you normally do not purchase that you would like to stlurge on..That is what I was trying to say. I know there are always items I wish I could have but they are not in our budget, so I live without until such time as I get something like a gift card..No one can tell you what is the best way to use the money, only you can decide that. Even if you buy a $5 loaf of bread, maybe there is some kind you normally would not spend that kind of money on..I know we have a local bread company here and some of our stores carry their products. They make a really yummy pecan, cranberry bread, for almost $6 a loaf. That is something I would be inclined to use a certificate for,but would not normally buy it.

Because you are a student and probably younger than most of us, I am sure you will find a really good use for the $50 even if you can buy some products cheaper. BTW, we have never found Ralph's more expensive than other stores in Ca if we only buy their specials. We were there a few years ago, for about a week, we did our shopping there.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink