Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't know what you had, but this one looks both easy and good. I'd probably make it with English muffins, since that was the way mom made it...

Microwave Welsh Rarebit Recipe by Microwaverina | ifood.tv
Thanks. That looks good. However, I don't remember using eggs and the amount of liquid seems low. I'll pick up beer when I'm in town Thursday and give it a try. I'm definitely with you on the English Muffins but they must be Bay's That's fine; I have some in the refrigerator.

Sorry I can't give you another rep yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Thanks. That looks good. However, I don't remember using eggs and the amount of liquid seems low. I'll pick up beer when I'm in town Thursday and give it a try. I'm definitely with you on the English Muffins but they must be Bay's That's fine; I have some in the refrigerator.
Well, here's a "Classic Welsh Rarebit" recipe, the kind you'd make in a double-boiler* to keep it from burning, and it uses eggs. But yes, it looks like it uses twice as much beer proportional to the microwave recipe.

Ah, well, recipes are just a starting point, eh?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1815...253200,00.html

Quote:
Sorry I can't give you another rep yet.
No worries, I'm just happy to help whenever I can.

*For those unfamiliar with the term, a double boiler is an arrangement of one sauce pan inside a slightly larger sauce pan, in which water is placed in the larger pan and boiled to indirectly heat the contents of the smaller pan. The point of a double-boiler is to avoid burning delicate food items, like sauces and chocolates, or thick porridges, because the inner pan never exceeds a temp of 212 F.

Here's what a few look like:

Amazon.com: Double Boilers - Cookware

Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I still have my microwave cookbook from 1984 never used it though, I think it maybe time to throw it away!
Oh, no, don't throw it out. Sell it as a vintage item on eBay.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, here's a "Classic Welsh Rarebit" recipe, the kind you'd make in a double-boiler* to keep it from burning, and it uses eggs. But yes, it looks like it uses twice as much beer proportional to the microwave recipe.

Ah, well, recipes are just a starting point, eh?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1815...253200,00.html

No worries, I'm just happy to help whenever I can.

*For those unfamiliar with the term, a double boiler is an arrangement of one sauce pan inside a slightly larger sauce pan, in which water is placed in the larger pan and boiled to indirectly heat the contents of the smaller pan. The point of a double-boiler is to avoid burning delicate food items, like sauces and chocolates, or thick porridges, because the inner pan never exceeds a temp of 212 F.

Here's what a few look like:

Amazon.com: Double Boilers - Cookware
The recipe calls for stale beer. I'm not sure if that just means the beer needs to be free of carbon dioxide or that it need to sit long enough at room temperature to have the house smels like a skid row bar. I love the smell of a home or eatery when dry vermouth is used in cooking but I'm not so sure about stale beer.

It's possible to make an ad hoc double boiler with a couple of sauce pans. This is what I use, however. I'm sold on Cuisinart Triple clad Multi-Pro. The insert fits their two, three and four quart sauce pans.

Cuisinart MCP111-20 MultiClad Pro Stainless Universal Double Boiler with Cover: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

A double boiler (bain-marie for us pretentious gourmands) still requires attention to prevent the eggs from curdling. After all, some folks prepare scrambled eggs in one.

Now some more reading for my fellow gourmands:

Bain-marie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd kill for that copper job. I believe that's a Cuisinart 12 quart pot sitting next to it.

Double boiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Double steaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, no, don't throw it out. Sell it as a vintage item on eBay.
I may buy it. I've bought plenty of other books on ebay.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 09-12-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The recipe calls for stale beer. I'm not sure if that just means the beer needs to be free of carbon dioxide or that it need to sit long enough at room temperature to have the house smels like a skid row bar.
It means flat beer, with the fizzy gone. I'm certain it's specified that way to keep folks from using fresh beer and having the mix froth up.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
On the subject of micros: ours is only 9 months old and kicked the bucket this morning. I am so Pi@@ed!! I don't care if it is under warrentee (or however you spell) I don't care if we have to buy a new one, I don't care any any of it, I am just upset stuff is made so poorly today...

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Wow! That is a pretty short time before it goes kaput!
I use my microwave for cooking frozen vegetables, red potatoes, the 90 second rice mixes (I know, nothing with that many ingredients can be good for you) and microwave popcorn. My husband also does "baked" potatoes in it, and oatmeal. And I use it to thaw meats sometimes.
I'll never forget our first experience with a microwave. We brought it home (took both of us to carry it), set it on the counter, and my husband popped in a leftover dinner roll and hit the dial!! It might have been a good idea to look at the directions first because of course it "burned" to a crisp quickly and stunk the house up something fierce!!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Heating up leftovers is my main use.
I also use it for cheese and bacon snacks.
Leftover pizza is ready in a flash. It's not so good cold IMO.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
My RV came with one and I ripped it out and replaced it with a small convection oven ... works much better for the foods that I cook from scratch while traveling.
Convection ovens seem much better and healthier. They just make more sense, to me. Several friends of mine opted for convection ovens rather than microwaves.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Convection ovens seem much better and healthier. They just make more sense, to me. Several friends of mine opted for convection ovens rather than microwaves.
Why "healthier"? That's just superstition at work. There is nothing at all unhealthy about microwave ovens.

And why, oh why, would someone buy a convection oven only, when in the same space they could put a combination convection/microwave oven, with the advantages of both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink