Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,933,224 times

Advertisements

Do you have any of the knives in question? As cooks we all know how important good knives are in the kitchen and I would not willingly buy knives made in China, especially ones marked "Made in Germany" but were actually knock offs from China.

Martha Stewart, Emeril Lagasse sued for allegedly selling knock-off knives - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,355,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you have any of the knives in question? As cooks we all know how important good knives are in the kitchen and I would not willingly buy knives made in China, especially ones marked "Made in Germany" but were actually knock offs from China.
At one time the Emeril knives were actually Solingen made. They were Wusthof's cheapest line, Gourmet, rebranded. They had thin, flat blade construction, not the forged construction of the top lines like Classic. But the steel was good quality, and the knives held a good edge.

But now the knives are produced by a company called SED, with offices in NJ. They claim "German Steel" on their website, but not "German made." So my guess is that they bought flat steel, or possibly even knife blanks in Germany, and shipped them to China for manufacture into finished knives.

Misleading, yes...

Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Martha Stewart, Emeril Lagasse sued for allegedly selling knock-off knives - CBS News
wow, great information: I am going to check and see if I can find where mine were made. My carving knife, which I love, is R Ray...I prefer not to buy China as well, especially if I have been led to believe I am buying a product made somewhere else. I will say though, we might all be surprised if we knew the truth.

Just checked: my carving knife set doesn't say but my others, Wolfgang are made in China.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 09-15-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,355,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My carving knife, which I love, is R Ray...I prefer not to buy China as well,
Rachel Ray knives are by Füri Knives, an Australian company, but the industry intel is that they are manufactured in China. Funny that yours is not labeled with Country of Origin, although the law can be satisfied with peel off stickers.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,146,577 times
Martha Stewart's in legal trouble again?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,606,558 times
If possible, let us know how this turns out. I am really interested. Thx for posting.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Rachel Ray knives are by Füri Knives, an Australian company, but the industry intel is that they are manufactured in China. Funny that yours is not labeled with Country of Origin, although the law can be satisfied with peel off stickers.
they do say: Furi: I will add, I have always had Henckel knives, but I needed a carving knife, hers were on sale and I decided to take a chance: they are as good as any I have had and the price was right.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Martha Stewart's in legal trouble again?
Let's just say this: I doubt anything will come of this, but if there is one person in the cooking and entertainment TV I have trouble with, she is the one. I never want to see anyone end up in trouble, it isn't my personality, but I can believe she screwed up again: I would like to think it is due to her lack of knowing what is going on and not deliberately screwing up...

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
At one time the Emeril knives were actually Solingen made. They were Wusthof's cheapest line, Gourmet, rebranded. They had thin, flat blade construction, not the forged construction of the top lines like Classic. But the steel was good quality, and the knives held a good edge.

But now the knives are produced by a company called SED, with offices in NJ. They claim "German Steel" on their website, but not "German made." So my guess is that they bought flat steel, or possibly even knife blanks in Germany, and shipped them to China for manufacture into finished knives.

Misleading, yes...
Most cutlery is nowadays made in China, even the "noble" brands. However, I read that some cutlery factories located in China are run and supervised by German staff. One would think, that those are a bit better quality than the others.

J. A. Henckels: The company maintains several brands, including Zwilling J.A. Henckels, J.A. Henckels International and BSF. Additionally the company operates its own retail shops, studios and partner shops both in Germany and internationally, among them about 200 shop-in-shops in China.

I think (only??) Rada Cutlery is Made in the USA.

Ooops... looks like I was wrong:
The Last American Silverware Factory Has Closed Up Shop
http://gizmodo.com/5760527/made-some...closed-up-shop

Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most cutlery is nowadays made in China, even the "noble" brands. However, I read that some cutlery factories located in China are run and supervised by German staff. One would think, that those are a bit better quality than the others.

J. A. Henckels: The company maintains several brands, including Zwilling J.A. Henckels, J.A. Henckels International and BSF. Additionally the company operates its own retail shops, studios and partner shops both in Germany and internationally, among them about 200 shop-in-shops in China.

I think (only??) Rada Cutlery is Made in the USA.

Ooops... looks like I was wrong:
The Last American Silverware Factory Has Closed Up Shop
Made Somewhere Else: The Last American Silverware Factory Has Closed Up Shop
thanks for the info: I would imagine most, even Henckel are made, at least in part, in China...I think we would all be surprised how much is made in other countries, but this has been the case for longer than many realize. I remember, in the 70s the uproar because so much we bought was made in Mexico or Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink