Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since I do NOT have a life, one of my great thrills on vacation is to head to the supermarket.

One of my favorites is HEB in the Houston area and throughout Texas.

You can pretty much judge the demographics of a Texas town or suburb by walking through the HEB. In fact, we started heading to HEB as soon as we get in town to get an idea of what the area was like.

They are great marketers.

=======================

Slightly off topic BUT I found the cheapest grocery store that I have run into recently. Byler's Country Market in Harrington, DE Byler's - Home, is a surplus market and is selling 24oz Kraft salad dressings for $1.49 and Kroger and Wegman's store brand cereal for $0.99-1.49 box. If I had driven to Delaware, I would have filled the car with six months worth.
no HEBs in Dallas, most everyone there loves Tom Thumb followed by the nicer Krogers I am thinking, plus the specialty stores like Sprouts..and now T Joes. We don't have any of them here...

Now, I have heard of a lot of strange vacation pleasures,but visiting supermarkets is a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
We have a market called Sav-A-Lot. It is kind of like a small warehouse store. Most products are in boxes, stacked up. Some of their prices are good, but everyone I have been in smells like rotting meat. They are dirty.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
We have a market called Sav-A-Lot. It is kind of like a small warehouse store. Most products are in boxes, stacked up. Some of their prices are good, but everyone I have been in smells like rotting meat. They are dirty.
Yes, we have Sav-A-Lot here as well, and I agree with you - the stores look and smell dirty and rancid. I don't know how anyone can shop there. I only went in once or twice for cat food, but never again.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
some people think the same about Aldis but we have never found them dirty, just messy and yes, crowded. Once in awhile I walk into one and smell produce that doesn't have a great aroama but other than that, the priced are usually very good and the food qualtiy ok...I won't go out of my way to find one, but when we are heading to the vacinity where there is one, we do some shopping..

Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Of the ones on this list that I've been to (the only one I haven't been to is Pick n' Save), I can't say that I disagree with any of them. I went to a Food Lion in NC a few years ago. In a word: disgusting. PathMark is just a terrible, terrible store as well.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
i <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Wegman's. Best. Grocery. Store. Period. Cheap food doesn't equate to good food. If all you want is cheap food you're going to get fed from a trough.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
i <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Wegman's. Best. Grocery. Store. Period. Cheap food doesn't equate to good food. If all you want is cheap food you're going to get fed from a trough.
this is not always true, yes, we do get what we paid for, but if you watch specials you can get cheap food that is good. Remember not everyone can shop at the better or top end stores.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We too live in a town that supports both WalMart, Lowe's, etc as well as our small, independant stores. Yes, we too have Sams close by. I am not a biologist, but I still am curious about the truth behind what your friend claims. No, I do not buy meat at WalMart, I buy very little there but a lot of people depend on WalMarts and most never have a problem with the food. In fact, our WalMart, during the growing seasons feature locally grown produce..As for their meats, many are standard brands, just like any market carries. I am not talking about their steaks, etc, but the packaged meats....
here's the difference with a walmart meat department- nothing is cut fresh at store level, it all is shipped in from 100's or thousands of miles away-no meatcutters on site!!
so, much of the fresh meats are "enhanced" or injected, for longer shelf life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink