Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I take it that your Target is a union store.
Couldn't say. Madison, Wisconsin, if anyone cares to look up and find out. We have 2 Wal-Marts and 3 Targets. Both Wal-Marts are crappy, all 3 Targets are very very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
We used to have a Stop n Shop, but it closed and was taken over by Hannaford.
I thought Stop n Shop was pricey.
I'm not wild about Hannaford, but it's the handiest.
I used to shop at Shaws, and liked it best until it was bought and taken over by some holding company that ruined it and drove it into the ground. I hardly ever go in there anymore. The prices are outrageous. Sometimes I go in and get the specials. I wouldn't be surprised to see it close soon.

My Super Walmart is clean and the prices are pretty good, but I find the meat is not as good a quality as I'd expect. Except for the meat, my Walmart is a great store.
I understand there are great Walmarts and filthy lousy Walmarts. My daughter lives in Philly and misses our lovely Super Walmart.

That's it. That's pretty much the supermarket choices we have in Maine. Here and there there's a little IGA, no Trader Joe's - no Genuardi - no Super Fresh.
There's a rumor we may get a Market Basket in our area. People are excited at the thought.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM

240 posts, read 557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am from Rochester,NY originally, so Wegman's was pretty much it for me. When I went away to college & then moved out of the Rochester area, I have to say, the grocery stores were (& are) shocking to me...!
We shop at Giant now & they are ok. Just OKAY.
There are a few Wegman's but they are about an hour from us, so not close enough to do daiky/weekly shopping...
Yep. Same here. We have Super Fresh here which absolute should be on that list. I always refer to it as "a scarier version of Tops" which no one understands when I say. But Tops was on that list which is good. They suck.

Although it did mention people being over charged at the register, and I have to say that just as many times I was also undercharged. Once someone rang my bunch of parsley (1.99 a bunch) up as broccoli (1.99 a lb). CHA CHING

Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think most supermarkets are franchised and some owners are more hands on than others. Also, the parent corporation, to keep it's reputation, should be sending inspector down to make sure that everything is clean and the expirations dates are appropriate and that they are not running out of stuff and re shelving merchandise to slowly.

If you have complaints, you should really contact the franchise owner or perhaps the parent store. If there are surveys near the customer service desk, fill them out and mail them in. The reason why you mail them in is that they go straight to an official and bypass the store management of that particular store. It has been my experience that people read those things and sometimes make changes.

Not really. There are very few franchised supermarkets. The IGAs, SuperValu, Associated Grocers, and the like are generally INDEPENDENT grocery stores using buying cooperatives.

The overwhelming majority of grocery stores are owned by three chains - Krogers, SuperValu, and Safeway. Toss in the traditional discounters - WalMart, Target and KMart and the non-traditional limited SKU stores - Aldi and Trader Joe's and you pretty much have about 80% of the market covered.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I like both Food Lion and WalMart (the newest ones). They aren't my favorites, but the prices are worth it for me.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have a neighbor who drives a Wal-Mart truck and he explained to us once, but I can't remember the reason. Whatever, certainly Sams meat is much better. I will go to Wal Mart when I need a variety of things, like something from the garden area, a few food items, maybe a birthday card and a bottle of wine. I can get it all in one stop. Otherewise I shop there rarely..Because we live in Wal-Mart area, our stores are very clean and the service is outstanding, I just don't care for the quality. I will add, there is certainly a reason for Wal-Marts and many people depend on them.

Most of the other stores on the list I have never even heard of. We did have Osco-Jewel in Dallas for awhile and Ralph's was my introduction to super markets, back in the 1940s. We also had Food Lion in Dallas, but I think they are pretty much gone now. I did like their prices, but not the quality. Again, they serve a purpose.

I think we all have to remember, these studies can vary from week to week and do depend on where in the USA you live. In NM the worst super market near where we lived was Krogers and the best Albertson's for cleanliness anyway. Other regions would say the opposite.

Nita
Oh Nita, that is so true. Those Walmarts in your part of the world are way different. Our son is attending the University of Arkansas, and when you go to a Walmart there its pretty amazing.They look like any other Walmart, but they are not the same. More than once while shopping at one of the stores in Fayetteville, we've actually had associates come up and ask us if we were finding everything okay, or if they could help us. The first time it happened I almost fainted. My son says it happens to him all the time when he's by himself there too. I guess they never know who's a Walmart executive or the family of one of their execs. Oh and the Sam's in Fayetteville is great too. They are getting ready to build one near us and I'm hoping it will be that nice.

There are 2 Walmart Supercenters and a Walmart Neighborhood Market (grocery store only) within about a 4 mile radius of my house. One of them is one of their new concept stores (one of their first), with better aesthetics and some higher end items, and the others were completely remodeled just a couple of years ago. I shop at them all the time, but I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there are a lot of very well to do people. At the Walmart I frequent most, the parking lot is full of expensive luxury cars, and the store is full of people wearing designer clothes and Rolex's. Heck we've even seen the CEO of one of the biggest companies in town (a Fortune 500 company) shopping in Walmart. I guess even rich people like to save money. We still have some of the "people of Walmart" types (maybe I'm one!), many of which live out in the country and come in to town to shop, but there are much less than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I shop at Walmart for everything but meats, and most produce. Packaged stuff is the same at Walmart and our local grocery store, but Walmart's is usually more fresh due to the large volume turnover, and is way cheaper than our local grocers. Other than Whole Foods and Sprouts, we do not have any other national grocery retailers in Oklahoma City, and the locals pretty much stink.

We've got a Target Superstore near us as well, but it always seems they never have half of what I'm looking for. It gets really frustrating shopping there because I will still have to stop at the Walmart Marktet across the street and get what Target didn't have, and normally, I will see all the other stuff I bought at Target, with most of it being way cheaper, even at the Walmart Market, which often times is a bit higher than a Walmart Supercenter. I love Target and shop there all the time, just not for groceries.

Forgot, we do have Aldi, but the nearest one to us is about 10 miles away, and I've just never liked them. Isles are too narrow, and only their own brands. I'm pretty brand loyal to a lot of things, so it just does not work for me.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Oh Nita, that is so true. Those Walmarts in your part of the world are way different. Our son is attending the University of Arkansas, and when you go to a Walmart there its pretty amazing.They look like any other Walmart, but they are not the same. More than once while shopping at one of the stores in Fayetteville, we've actually had associates come up and ask us if we were finding everything okay, or if they could help us. The first time it happened I almost fainted. My son says it happens to him all the time when he's by himself there too. I guess they never know who's a Walmart executive or the family of one of their execs. Oh and the Sam's in Fayetteville is great too. They are getting ready to build one near us and I'm hoping it will be that nice.

There are 2 Walmart Supercenters and a Walmart Neighborhood Market (grocery store only) within about a 4 mile radius of my house. One of them is one of their new concept stores (one of their first), with better aesthetics and some higher end items, and the others were completely remodeled just a couple of years ago. I shop at them all the time, but I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there are a lot of very well to do people. At the Walmart I frequent most, the parking lot is full of expensive luxury cars, and the store is full of people wearing designer clothes and Rolex's. Heck we've even seen the CEO of one of the biggest companies in town (a Fortune 500 company) shopping in Walmart. I guess even rich people like to save money. We still have some of the "people of Walmart" types (maybe I'm one!), many of which live out in the country and come in to town to shop, but there are much less than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I shop at Walmart for everything but meats, and most produce. Packaged stuff is the same at Walmart and our local grocery store, but Walmart's is usually more fresh due to the large volume turnover, and is way cheaper than our local grocers. Other than Whole Foods and Sprouts, we do not have any other national grocery retailers in Oklahoma City, and the locals pretty much stink.

We've got a Target Superstore near us as well, but it always seems they never have half of what I'm looking for. It gets really frustrating shopping there because I will still have to stop at the Walmart Marktet across the street and get what Target didn't have, and normally, I will see all the other stuff I bought at Target, with most of it being way cheaper, even at the Walmart Market, which often times is a bit higher than a Walmart Supercenter. I love Target and shop there all the time, just not for groceries.

Forgot, we do have Aldi, but the nearest one to us is about 10 miles away, and I've just never liked them. Isles are too narrow, and only their own brands. I'm pretty brand loyal to a lot of things, so it just does not work for me.
Like any chain,Aldi's takes getting used to and I only buy certain things there...Sometimes I buy produce, and there are some canned goods I am happy with, plus things like butter: $1,69 or so a lb compared to 2.00 up to $4 I can't resist; same with 1/2 and 1/2. I use it a lot in cooking: $1.79 for a pint at the grocerty store, $1.49 or so for a quart at Aldi's. The closest one we have in about 20 miles so only go there when we have a reason to go to Bentonville or Rogers.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM

311 posts, read 634,622 times
I have always wondered how come all the Walmart's I've been to smell the same? They don't sell anything different that any other store but there's a smell to them.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
I have always wondered how come all the Walmart's I've been to smell the same? They don't sell anything different that any other store but there's a smell to them.
That's the smell of success.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the smell of success.
Or the smell of the "people of walmart". Thanks but no thanks. I'll continue to pay more at my Acme where the store is clean, the shoppers are pleasant and the produce and meat are fresh...

And just want to add, our Target is 1000 times cleaner and nicer then our Walmart. It's like 2 totally different worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink