Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Yes, but as I said - home made noodles are not a northern vs southern food, they are a food found wherever you have fair sized pockets of Italian immigrants, and there are southern cities that have just that.
What about Germans, Hungarians, and a bunch more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM

782 posts, read 1,106,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What about Germans, Hungarians, and a bunch more?
Of course there are communities of them, but what famous German pasta dish is there out there? And what relevence is that to the topic that was being discussed?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Of course there are communities of them, but what famous German pasta dish is there out there? And what relevence is that to the topic that was being discussed?
You've never heard of Spaetzle? it's technically a tiny dumpling but I believe it fits. I've had it in New Orleans.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You've never heard of Spaetzle? it's technically a tiny dumpling but I believe it fits. I've had it in New Orleans.
I live in Texas, where there's tons of German influenced cooking, and I can honestly say I haven't heard of it. But it's probably all over the place and I just haven't been paying attention lol.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM

282 posts, read 873,470 times
Cheese curds
Birch beer
Lobster roll
Pike
Fish boil (not a single food, but northern)

Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I live in Texas, where there's tons of German influenced cooking, and I can honestly say I haven't heard of it. But it's probably all over the place and I just haven't been paying attention lol.
The only place I've seen it in Texas is in German restaurants, and in places like HEB in the imported foods sections. It might be something more common in towns like Fredricksburg or New Braunfels, where there is still much more of the German influence. I was not aware of it until my sons did a study abroad in Germany. Now I see it and know what I'm looking at.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM

782 posts, read 1,106,154 times
I absolutely love spaetzle, but I'll confess I always thought that, like gnocci, they were made of potatoes. I just looked it up and saw that it (spaetzle) is actually an egg noodle. To the previous poster though who claimed to be familiar with German cooking - you're not if you don't know spaetzle, it is a German stapple.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
In Pa its shoofly pie( not a true pie but exceptionally good with coffee) and pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Although I have to admit that bratwursts cooked in sauerkraut and eaten in rolls hot dog style with mashed potatoes is becoming a favorite. Brats might be more of an upper midwest food.
I think its pumpkin pie in the north and sweet potato pie in the south. Deep south is pecan pie.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
I absolutely love spaetzle, but I'll confess I always thought that, like gnocci, they were made of potatoes. I just looked it up and saw that it (spaetzle) is actually an egg noodle. To the previous poster though who claimed to be familiar with German cooking - you're not if you don't know spaetzle, it is a German stapple.

Spaetzle Dumplings Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Spaetzel noodles are made from flour, NOT potatoes.

Like gnocci, they are generally made and immediately dropped into a vat of boiling water as opposed to drying. (Yes, I do KNOW that there are dried spaetzel noodles.)

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Spaetzle Dumplings Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Spaetzel noodles are made from flour, NOT potatoes.

Like gnocci, they are generally made and immediately dropped into a vat of boiling water as opposed to drying. (Yes, I do KNOW that there are dried spaetzel noodles.)
That looks like a good recipe.

Shame on me for never bringing this up before. Spaetzle is so good and so easy to make it's been my go-to noodle for thirty-five years since the owner of the wonderful Heidelberg restaurant in Denver took my late wife and me into the kitchen and showed us how to do it. She was the real thing, Bavarian born and raised. Spaetzle with gravy is wonderful. Startle your guests Thanksgiving or Christmas with some. But don't forget some sauerkraut and definitely don't forget some red cabbage as well. One more, don't forget to print a recipe for it.

Does anyone remember Heidelberg? It was at the corner of Colfax and Marion. Liver Dumpling Soup. Potato soup. Jager Schnitzel. Smoked Ham Hock. Sauerbraten. Apple Strudel. Plum Cake.

I live in Wyoming where Germans are the largest ethnic group. But the ones here didn't bring the cooks with them.

I apologize for the off topic rant. But I believe that all you serious eaters will understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink